Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catholic Ireland dead? **Mod Warning in Post #563**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

So all priests are paedos? It's a minority just like it's a minority in all walks of live and professions i.e. teachers, judges etc. You can't tarnish them all under the one brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

It was the behaviour of the RCC when confronted with pedo priests that is the unforgivable crime hear. They should have considered the children above the reputation of the church - they did the opposite. That makes the institution more criminal than the pedos they protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭csirl

You could and should look at it another way. The majority of organisations in this country dont harbour paedos or cover up.child abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What's the harm in irrational beliefs, which then implant themselves into politics... are you serious?

The 8th amendment was inserted into our constitution because of fanatical religious campaigners, it did immense damage and it took us 35 years to remove it.

There is an actual political movement in the US which, upon the re-election of Trump (who is no more a christian than I am, but he is a vile opportunist) wants to cancel the US constitution and insert conservative christians into all positions of power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_2025

Scrap the cap!

Some of those within the hierarchy were evil cnuts for covering up abuse but what I'm trying to say is there are good priests out there and you can't just generalise them all because of a minority of bad apples.

• Advertisement

wtf?

They told you that "the people are the church" when you were eight, and you still believe that? That's pretty special.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Give me strength- they raped children in huge numbers. The hierarchy hid the rapists from the authorities in other parishes where they raped again. And you come out with “sure they’re not all bad” 🤦‍♂️

Then when they got caught they tried to weasel their way out of paying compensation to their victims. And still they haven’t coughed up all of what they owe. Copy and paste throughout the world. Disgusting organisation.

No, only a fraction of priests are paedos.

But they all knew who the paedos were, and they kept silent. They all went to a small number of seminaries, and the "six degrees of separation" was more like three, or two. If someone was moved on more than once, as many paedos were, anyone who had studied with him or served alongside him knew he was a wrong 'un.

Yet not one priest spoke out.

Silence is complicity.

Scrap the cap!

But that is not the issue, the institutions reaction is the issue. Irredeemably evil behaviour by an institution in the face of criminality by it's representatives.

Why didn't these good priests speak out, Billy?

Vile cowards the lot of them.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I see it in my daily life.

Maybe nobody has pointed it out to you before.

I already said there was a minority within the organisation that tried to cover it up. How is it wrong then to say there not all bad? So everyone in a collar is automatically a paedo? No point in arguing here because you get nowhere.

Scrap the cap!

You are not reading for comprehension.

Everyone accepts that only a minority of priests were sexual abusers.

But a majority of bishops covered up for sexual abusers.

"Men of God".

Scrap the cap!

There is ample evidence that various popes were made aware of the situation and rubber stamped the cover up.

Right to the very top.

If you weren't acutely aware I was responding to a poster saying "And you come out with “sure they’re not all bad” hence why I reiterated that the majority of priests aren't going around abusing kids.

Good catholics are turning against the church because they cannot accept what the RCC did in their name. This is why the institution is dead in this country.

Good catholic? one who accepts the authority of the coverup which came from Rome? If that's "good".... ffs

Scrap the cap!

That doesn't answer the question Billy. Why did none of these "men of god", "men of integrity" speak out about the known abusers in their midst?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The church was only ever about control, and extracting wealth from the people for their coffers to maintain that control.

Go up against Mother Church and they have the best legal representation money can buy. They ran rings around the government. They somehow never took heed of the big JC who preached to eschew all worldly wealth, to give it all away.

• Advertisement

I don’t know anyone under 50 that goes to mass regularly. There must be some though.

I don’t agree with the church’s policies on abortion, divorce, contraception, discrimination of women and LGBTQ.

Throw in the little matter of the child rapes and this group are struggling big time with me.

Then there’s the woo…

It’s all bollox, Ted, isn’t it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

The people are the church.

That's the theory, but the reality is that the church is an organisation run by a group of people (priests) who receive long training, and where career progression is defined by loyalty to the organisation.

The organisation provides services, many of which are not much desired in modern times. As it lives off donations from the populace, it is slowly dying in this country, but will doubtless continue to exist at a much lower level than before. With its huge land and property holdings though, it remains a major player in Ireland and worldwide in every country where it exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think I started off this bible is made up and I truly believe that.

Anyway the church is far from dead in this country and many others as well.

Tbh I'd love to have faith at times. When you lose one of your best friends to cancer at 43 and you see scumbags who shoot up on heroin and the likes coming out of jail in great shape and doing exactly what they did to end up in prison it's hard to take that a good guy with a young family is taken from us at such an early stage in his life.

If you have faith it's all just part of god's plan, kinda helps with the grief if you have faith doesn't it?

I don't have any problem with anybody who believes in a god. Everybody is entitled to live their life as they see fit so long as they don't upset others

I remember during the last abortion referendum I went up to the pro-choice advocates and told them they should not be handing out pamphlet and talking to everybody at a fair where there were loads of young children.

A guy came over to me and said fair play to you for telling them to shut up. About an hour later I walked through a park where many of those at the fair were hanging out and there's the guy who thanked me roaring and shouting and handing out pro-life pamphlets. I gave him the same speech I gave the others and he told me to f off. My response was a couple of questions, does it say in your religion to abuse people? Are you not supposed to act like a Samaritan and treat friends and enemies well? He had no response.

Just to make things clear, I am and have always been pro-choice

Tldr? Live your life how you want, religion isn't dead, the bible is a work of fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The thing is , I believe it is . I drove by the local church on Sunday and while 20 years ago you couldn’t get a parking space , the car park was empty . Same with CoI . Religious power is finished in this country . Now to take back the buildings and schools and hospitals WE paid for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Growing up, both sides of my family were very religious… parents plus ALL aunts, uncles, grandparents….

now out of my cousins of which there are around 15 across both families . Only 1 cousin along his wife and two kids go to mass…. Rest of us, wedding / funeral / baptism / communion / confirmation certainly, but otherwise not a sliver of interest…

speaking with my folks their church has increased in numbers but a lot of Eastern Europeans, African, Asian people are included in the populations going so the irish younger people, apparently ambivalent or zero interest..

19th century post-Famine Ireland was a poor country by any standard, yet the RCC here embarked on a massive cathedral building programme. It was all about creating centres of power for them, dominating a defeated people. They did shag all to help during that famine also. Money flows into Rome but it doesn't flow out. The Vatican didn't gild itself.

Scrap the cap!

Whose the we? Those of us who aren't religious? All those who are paid for them as well.

You can dream that the church is finished all you like but that's what it is, a dream.

It isn't as big as it used to be but they still are a sizeable majority.

The great thing is that the power the church wielded no longer exists. A priest is now looked at like he's a normal human being. I haven't even heard a bishop's name in years. The pope isn't part of the news every day or even once a week.

It's just an entity now, a very large one but no more than that.

Times are good, forget looking back and being annoyed about things. I'm not talking about illegal acts such as sexual or any other type of abuse, I'm on about the power the church had and all that. We need to move on from the past.

I'm not a crusader, I just live my life happily and my family comes first. They teach religion to kids in the school my son goes to and I've no problem with that. The bible is a wonderful story book for kids. He's currently into religion and it's up to him if he wants to stay that way or not. It makes him happy right now but it's his choice to stick with it or walk away. I think when he gets older he'll realise it's a farce and walk away. I don't think he realises yet that his parents are not religious.

Anyway let people live their lives as they see fit and if you want to take things back how about we start with Croke Park which has cost the taxpayers an absolute fortune and the GAA have sole discretion as to what sports are allowed to be played there.

Yes we do need to move on from the past, and ending RCC control of 90% of national schools which we, not it, pay for is a vital part of that, but so far no politician has the balls.

The sackless **** who just go along with the flow are the problem, they complain if the parish priest wants them to attend a few masses but still want the nice day out for their kids.

If you think the bible is a nice story book you're remarkably naive and/or have never read it. It's a truly vile work which endorses all sorts of horrors including slavery.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I’ve said this on several occasions , but there NEVER was a famine in Ireland . Because the landed ( English ) gentry weren’t getting their rent from indentured tenants they exported the food to Liverpool and Wales .

The potato blight affected 13 counties along the west coast . The major agricultural areas ( Leinster and the golden vale of Munster were NOT affected . Beef , pork and yes potatoes were exported to Britain . I want to see Dubin port records but I think exports of food increased during the ‘ famine ‘ years

Croke Park has nothing to do with this . It has been used for sell out football games , Rugby and soccer if I remember

You're sterching. to have something to be annoyed at

Truly, you can say the most vile things about Catholicism on this site and your will never get a citation.

Judaism on the other hand.

Post edited by applehunter on

You had nothing to be righteous about in that instance.

He was advocating Life, what was your issue with him?

He was advocating a good, life, what were you advocating?

You call it Choice, I call it, the Irish state will kill your child for you.

We are fed this myth.

No hetrosexual man should be using contraception.

Men wan't to marry a virgin wife.

Post edited by applehunter on

• Advertisement

In the words of the great Irish-American Catholic, John McEnroe,

You cannot be serious

Scrap the cap!

My issue with him was shouting about his beliefs on.the subject in front of children.

No young child needs to be hearing about abortion.

I treated both sides the same way.

You know what's funny about the cavemen who don't want a woman to have a choice with what's going on with her body? They are now using scientists to say the fetus is alive, these same scientists are almost always non-believers but it's okay to believe their opinions on a fetus and say they are wrong about religion. Talk about hypocrisy.

What vile things were said about Catholicism? All posts were accurate in my opinion.

All religions are made up including Judaism and Islam. After getting rid of priests we need to be careful not to let the mullahs in the back door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Unfortunately we have the "bouncy castle" Catholics, too spineless to upset their idol worshipping parents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Yet only you are bringing "should" into it, which belies the controlling nature of religion. It's ongoing need to tell people what they "Should" or "should not" do. If Catholic Ireland is indeed dead (trying to keep my posts on topic) then I would say a large part of the reason for that is this need to control peoples thoughts and actions. Or to push back against any kinds of progress like contraception or scientific advancements in realms like stem cell research.

Meanwhile the rest of us not infected by religion recognise that contraception is an OPTION. One that we can take or not take depending on our own goals and agendas and concerns. We do not have to shout at people about what they "Should" do. Rather we can inform and education people on their choices and show them that if their concern is sexually transmitted disease, or unwanted pregnancies, that contraception is a powerful and viable choice for them to make to mitigate those risks.

As for your last line, who declared you spokesperson for all men and what they "want"? I do not recognise your declaration about what men want in either myself or any men I know. Rather what I want(ed) in life, much the same as most men I have ever met, is to find a human being to make a romantic and lasting connection with, to choose to spend the rest of my/our/their lives with. Their sexual history, or lack of it, was not a concern. And a desire or a preference for "virginity" even less so. In fact I find the obsession with virginity to be creepy. At best.

Again if the question of the thread is the death of "Catholic Ireland" then perhaps this being out of touch with what people actually "want" and clinging to generalised false declarations of what people want or do not want.... has been a major factor in this. I have rarely, if ever, been struck by the feeling the Church moved with the times, or had the finger on the pulse of what it was the people actually want or think at any given time.

That does not seem to be true as I know I and others have said strident things about every religion going in the past, and to my knowledge no citation has ever been levelled against my user account in the 1000s of posts I have historically made. I have often been subjected to this "Fatwa envy" and being told that I would not say thinks about Mohammad and Islam that I say about Jesus and Christianity for example. Such users clearly have not read my post history given the quite detailed and varied things I have said about both.

The thing is that most people who complain they have been cited for saying something about some religion or the religious or some race or whatever.... fail to notice that it was not WHAT they said but HOW they said it that was the issue. I think you can say many "vile" (or, as some of us would say, true) things about catholicism. Or you can say "vile" things about Catholics themselves. The latter is more likely to get you cited. I myself operate under the rubric of "Respect the believer, but never the beleif". A mantra that appears to have protected me for years against these citations of which you speak.

I think you can say many things about Judaism and I have done. Many of their beliefs strike me as being just as unsubstantiated nonsense as any Christian or Muslim beliefs. But that said, I do not subscribe to the notion that all beliefs and religions are equivilant. A fact you can test out yourself by asking as many people as you can who they would like their next door neighbour to be if they had to choose EITHER a fundamentalist Christian, a fundamentalist Muslim, a fundamentalist Jew, a fundamentalist Jain, or a fundamentalist Atheist. I can tell you anyone I have asked tend to either choose 54312 in that order or 45312. Even when they themselves are Christian. Your results may vary but I think it highlights something useful all the same.

But again the subject of this thread is whether Catholic Ireland is dead or dying. And I think whinging about citations or respect for beleifs is another nail in that coffin. I myself have massive respect of the Catholics who own what their church has done, admit it, and fight for change and progress in their organisation. I suspect more people like that would slow or even reverse the death of their Catholic Ireland.

Unfortunately when I go into a supermarket and I decide to call a pineapple a grape, I still get charged the price of a pineapple. Why? Because choosing what to call something, does not magically make it become that something. So you can take a "choice" and call it whatever you like. It will not magically make it true either.

By all means argue what you think "a good life" is. But despite years of debate on the issue I have not yet been shown a single argument to support the notion that the choice of abortion is either not "a good life" or is "murder" or "killing a child" or any of ther other emotive labels the anti-choice brigade used in lieu of actual arguments and discourse on the subject. They tried slogans during the referendum. It failed them. Badly. You need a new approach to this.

But if Catholic Ireland is dying then perhaps it is this judgementalism that fuels that death too? Shouting at people that their choice is murder or killing children, without actually substantiating such claims, is not likely to attract people to the faith. Or keep people in the faith coming back. In fact if my recollection of the Bible is correct, the Nazerene himself advocated representation of the faith as much as preaching it. By your fruits they shall know you.

If Catholic Ireland is dead therefore, who is killing it? It would seem to be many of the Catholics themselves, like your good self, who are doing it even if it is not your intention to do so. And the double standards that were highlighted in the anecdote you were replying to here. Where the user was applying the same standards to BOTH sides of the argument. While the preacher thanked him for applying that standard to the OTHER side, but got haughty and aggresive when that standard was applied to his OWN side. That is the kind of hypocracy that will kill your Catholic Ireland for you, is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's not what they said. But I read an interesting article years ago. It looked at the number of priests whi abused children Vs the total number if priests and found that there wasn't actually a higher number of priests who offended. A priest no no more likely to be an abuser than anyone else.

The problem is that the church hid them. They moved them around. they hid evidence. They didn't turn them over to authorities. So the offending priests kept offending and the number of victims grew.

The problem wasn't that there were more priests offending, it's that the organisation was rotten. The organisation put their reputation over the safety of the people they were supposed to be protecting. That's the reason why the church shouldn't be in charge of schools or hospitals. They have failed time and time again to provide proper oversight. They are not accountable to anyone but themselves. And they always put the church first over everyone else. And they're still doing it. They're still refusing to pay compensation to their victims.

I partly agree with you here. I think it is too simplistic and base to simply see believers in religion as "simple". One simply has to notice that in the history of our species some of our most brilliant top minds have also been prone to religious or religion like thinking. Isaac Newton was one of, if not the, top minds our species ever produced for example. And he made wonderful contributions to our science and mathematics as a result.

His mind subscribed to some seriously unsubstantiated nonsense too however.

To me saying that people who are religious are "simple" is a bit like saying that anyone who catches the common cold is "unhealthy" or that a building that has locusts must be "dirty". Quite the contrary. Locusts and other vermin are often attracted to cleaner buildings. While many infections of bacteria and virus prefer healthy hosts.

The fact that a healthy mind can be infected with a religious memetic virus is no more surprising than a healthy athlete being infected by a genetic virus.

The important thing to remember is that a belief is not made more or less true based on how intelligent or stupid the believer is. It is entirely independent of that. I do not see religious belief as a "stupid" or "simple" belief. I see it as an entirely unsubstantiated one. And the intelligence of a believer, or the number of believers, does not substantiation make.

All that said I have been ENDLESSLY fascinated for 30+ years now by the claim, like the one you make above, that belief is a "choice". I genuinely wonder what that must feel like, to be able to CHOOSE what you believe. I literally can't. Belief or lack of belief in a claim is not something I "choose". It is something that involuntarily HAPPENS to me given the presence (or lack of) evidence. I no more "choose" what I believe than I "choose" to travel downwards when I step off a ledge. In both cases I fall helplessly and entirely out of my power or control.

I do not choose not to believe there is a god or gods. I simply can not believe there is one given the not slight, but COMPLETE lack of any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning suggesting there is such. Were such substantiation provided to me I would helplessly start believing. Choice at no point comes into it for me. And I am fascinated by the people who claim that for them, it does.

While I agreed with you a bit above, I entirely disagree with you here. Beliefs do not require, nor deserve, respect. In fact I very much subscribe to the quote that said "I respect you too much as a person, to respect your unfounded beliefs". I believe in respecting people, not their beliefs. I also believe in the notion that attacks on, or ridicule of, beliefs is not the same as an attack or ridicule of the believer. They are entirely separate things. You are not your beliefs. If you feel yourself synonymous with your beliefs so you take offence vicariously on their behalf then so be it, but I see it as an error.

Beliefs should not be respected. They should be torn apart and subjected to the deepest of intellectual and philosophical rigor.

I'm sorry but on the 'wgo would you prefer to live beside? Alll fundamentalists are the same, I'd equally hate to live beside all. It's a ridiculous question and the answers you get may be based on the fact that you are atheist and they are in their minds appeasing you.

See there you go showing no respect for others, it makes you just as unreasonable as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foxhunter2024

Converting every church to a mosque that’s only going to go one way and fast.

That's just the thing. Not all fundamentalists are the same. At all. Deep fundamentalist Muslims have flown planes into buildings. Deep fundamentalist Jains sweep the ground before them as they walk, for fear they might kill an insect. The most stident atheists that most people have heard of do little more than write books, while some fundamentalist Christians blow up abortion clinics or attack doctors who perform abortions. That is not remotely the same. At all.

The more fundementalist you become as, say, a muslim the more potential you have for actions that harm others. It does not automatically mean you will cause harm of course. That has to be understood. But the potential goes way up. While the more fundamentalist you become as a Jain the less likely you are to hurt anyone or anything. Hell some of them drink their water and breath through cheese cloth simply to minimise the possibility they might injest something living. That is how against pain and violence they are. They are not, for example, throwing homosexuals off rooftops.

I can not fathom therefore how you come to the conclusion that "all fundamentalists are the same". They really aren't. Beliefs matter. And the differences between beliefs matter. At least in so far as beliefs translate into potential real world action and activity. Generally what people believe religiously does NOT matter because most people realise faith is a private matter and keep their faith to themselves. I have zero issue with such people myself. Their unsubstantiated beliefs do not affect me at all. Nor are atheists automatically good people either. There have been awful ones. But there is nothing IN atheism that promotes anything awful. They were awful independant of atheism. And many people are awful independent of their religion. But the fact remains that fundamental interpretations of religious texts can potentially lead to great harm. Fundamentalist reading od Richard Dawkins? Not so much.

In fact it strikes me as quite comical that you are asking people to "respect others" yet you so willingly and readily throw such people into the same box as if they are all the same. That is the opposite of respect to my mind. Recognising the differences between people is respect, and not sweeping them all with the same brush merely because they share ONE single attribute. Like being Fundamentalist in their beliefs. Respect is seeing people as individuals and realising that one single attribute they might have alone is not enough to box them as identical to all other people who have that attribute. That's how things like Racism happen. Thinking that because someone is, for example, black they must be the same as everyone else who is black.

So no, someone being merely fundamentalist tells you little to nothing about them. When you find out what they are particularly fundamentalist IN however you can start to differentiate who they are likely to be from fundamentalists of other stripes. And if I had to choose between a deeply fundamentalist Jain and a deeply fundamentalist Muslim as a potential neighbour, without knowing anything else about them.... I am picking the Jain every time and there are very few people I suspect who would need to ask me why.

As unreasonable as them?

I haven’t raped anyone or tried to make everyone in the country go by my rules, which were made up by a few lads back in the day.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to call out religions as being dangerous hocus pocus.

I would not let my children near a church or its priests and I don’t spare the horses in letting them know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There is a spectrum of belief. From one end you have people who believe there might be something and on the other side you have people who believe rigidly in strict dogma.

And even amoungst the people who believe rigidly in dogma there can be "Intelligent" people. I put intelligent in quotations because I'm using it to imply they are what we would consider traditionally intelligent. I know of a girl with an honors degree in genetics who also believes in creationism and that evolution is a lie. She was raised evangelical and so no matter how much she studied, it didn't change her mind.

And that's because people are complicated. they can be both "Intelligent" and "Stupid" at the same time. People can hold two opposing views. We're not completely rational.

Indeed. I think for example the fallacy of "Confirmation bias" is very powerful in the human mind. And highly intelligent people can be better at Confirmation bias than people with less intellectual endowment. Because for Confirmation Bias you need to be able to take in data, see patterns, fit together ideas and thoughts. An active and intelligent mind can therefore be much MORE prone to confirmation bias than a "stupider" one.

Which is why people who study genetics and biology and evolution deeply can still go creationist. Because if you get the notion there is an intelligent hand behind it all, you can find a wealth of confirmation bias to fuel that notion. That's why we need methodologies like Science to help curtail the effect of things like Confirmation Bias and the other fallacies.

I used to often refer to the 23ists. A small movement but significant enough that a whole Jim Carey movie was made about them. They had a notion that the number 23 was everywhere and was evidence of some global world order controlling all things. The thing is.... it works. If you go looking for the number 23 you will find it. Everywhere. And the more intelligent and better at mathematics you are the more you will find it and confirm it and be maybe convinced by it.

Problem is, it works for pretty much any other number too. But confirmation bias tends not to make you notice that. In fact I have been assured by a couple of mathematicians.... though I have no idea why as I did not understand it myself.... that in general not only does it work for all numbers but works specifically well for prime numbers. I myself keep finding the number 27 popping up in my awareness over and over again. I do not think it means anything, though whether thats because I am too smart, or too dumb, is anyone's guess :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement