Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

Maybe he did but that was more often than not in average URC matches, he certainly wasnt playing there in big games and Munster sure as hell wouldn't throw him without some prior game time there especially in the CC final.

The solutions to the problem are easier to find when a player starting gets injured rather than a replacement. But the point is you're already handicapping the side if that's the case, it would put a coaches mind at ease if they have a full fit player to come on than a half fit player.

I dont think it is flawed, I think when you put all the pieces of the puzzle together it pains a very pretty picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think people were missing the point in the URC final regards Snyman coming off the bench. Beirne and Kleyn were our best pairing, Snyman despite his size is more of a loose side lock, his impact is seen more in the loose and lineout than in the scrum and in the tight collisions, where we preferred Kleyn, and Beirne was undroppable and O'Mahony captaining from blind side. Also an injection of Snyman with 30 to go would be a big boost if needed, his dynamism and offloading skills against tired bodies would be dangerous. As the match panned out we lost O'Mahony early to a HIA so Snyman came in and Beirne shifted to the back row until Kendellen came on for Kleyn with 12 minutes to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Frisch_The_Frenchie

I didn’t realise that everyone else on the thread was setting IRFU policy, like I said, I asked what the remediation Munster fans were after in these scenarios. Genuine thanks to those who gave sincere feedback, it was an interesting conversation, I’m ducking out of this thread now.

Taje care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Fwiw, my worry now is that a cohort of starters who are only Irish Qualified could start to become disenfranchised and look at options elsewhere, particularly for a bigger salary. Specifically thinking the likes of Hodnett and Coombes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Frisch has been released back to Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

One of the reporters confirmed it on a recent podcast, it was either the Left Wing or 42. Same as the IRFU funded part of Zebo's contract to get him back.

Never said he was shoe horned anywhere, I'm sure the player had some choice. However the IRFU and AF himself have been working on Jager for years. If they aren't involved and dangling caps I doubt he'd be back. Unsurprisingly, he came back, did well, actioned feedback from AF and quickly got his cap.

There is a clear pathway for the guys who do the right things in a position of need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I never said it there was no right to feel aggrieved, my OP said I get where Munster fans would be annoyed but capture caps were a scummy thing for a fanbase to want to do to their own player.

The point I was making in the recent post that you're referring was simply pointing out that the IRFU do plenty to support Munster and those examples were only going back the last few months. I can list off plenty more if you want. What I was getting at was every province has it's own ups and downs with the IRFU and it isn't surprising that if a person chooses to ignore the positives and only seeing the negatives that they'll claim 'suffering' and 'disillusionment'.

After all that cursing at the IRFU, claiming that they cant assess talent, Frisch was barely in France for long enough to have a croissant and probably didn't even get to meet the whole squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Frisch released back doesn't change anything other than add fuel for the Trolls.

The real danger from a Munster POV is that Frisch will go on the summer tour with France while the Top14 players are tied up in the knockout games.

Easterby said that they'd wait and see, well now, they now have time of their side to do something about Frisch

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Suppose they have to decide if they see him as a viable option for ireland, not wanting to cap him and then never play him and have him miss out on an international career. I think he was better last year than he has been this year for Munster. Do I think both himself and Haley deserve to be looked at as part of a wider camp setup, yes...definitely ahead of some players that have been brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Are you going to start every post with "I accept I know nothing about rugby, but...."?

;)

He wouldn't have been my choice but I'd welcome the signing

Straight swap for Carbery. Keeps Munster with 2 senior players (important in case of injury), and a promising academy graduate that should hopefully become a regular backup when Crowley is unavailable. And Hicks in the academy. From Munster's point of view it's good planning; Burns 29, Crowley 24, Butler 21, Hicks 19.

I'll give you that but my main concern would be his lack of kicking for Ulster

I don't think his kicking is that bad to be worrying about it.

Probably not but he just doesn't even have to do it so much nowadays but look he's a better option than Scannell and I always felt Irish fans shat all over him when he kicked that penalty dead v Wales a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is he a particularly bad kicker or are Doak and Cooney just very good? Pretty sure Burns kicked for Ireland when he started at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Doak and cooney have the best kick percentages in the urc as far as i know

Ideally, he'd be a great kicker but that lads are even better than him. He hasn't (or has he) kicked much in the last season or two and while kicking is good in practice it is not the same as kicking in a tight game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

For those of you who bought tickets from Northampton directly for the game next month.

Have you received them yet?

i bought 3 and can’t find any record of them. Not even a confirmation email. I know I bought them as I can see the money coming out of Revolut.

I think I used my work email and it may have been blocked. Nothing in my junk folder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Possible knee surgery for Oli Jager. Unbelievable.

Munster Rugby | Squad Update | Preparations Continue For Ospreys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

Has somebody ran the numbers on injuries this season v previous seasons?

From my untrained eye we are getting hammered this year& last with injuries & it's across the board positionally.

Questions sure to be raised about our S&C aside the latest injury is prob ire camp related...even so

Very disheartening

Must-win game this week against Ospreys away on Friday (7:35 TG4 & Premier Sports 1).

Looks like we'll be selecting something like the following:

Loughman, N Scannell, Ryan,

Snyman, Ahern,

Kendellen, Coombes, O'Sullivan,

Casey, Carbery,

Daly, R Scannell, Frisch, O'Brien,

Haley.

Bench: Clarke, Wycherley, Archer, Hurley, Hodnett, Coughlan, Butler, Zebo.

Thoughts:

With Kilcoyne, Barron, Salanoa and Jager out we are going to be under fierce pressure in the front row for depth over the next 3 weeks. Knox left at a bad time. We'll probably need Donnelly and Buckley to bench against Cardiff to rest Loughman and Scannell before the Northampton fixture. We've no other senior options at tighthead, so Ryan and Archer are probably going to have to rotate starting and benching every second week unless they want to bring one of the two academy tightheads, McSweeney or Foxe onto the bench against Cardiff, hopefully we won't be using Loughman to cover tighthead.

Second row we are in trouble, no Kleyn, no Edogbo, no F Wycherly, and Beirne not available. One injury there and Coombes could have to cover lock, and the possibility of Evan O'Connell getting a call up to the bench.

Back row without O'Mahony, and with O'Donoghue just back in training, and Ahern needed in the second row, we're going to be stretched a bit with the frontline players, but outside the usual starters, Gleeson still out I think but there are still a few options. Jack Daly, Ruadhán Quinn and Daniel Okeke. We should be OK but might not be dominant, which is where the Welsh sides will take us on I guess.

We're lucky that our half-backs are good, Casey and Carbery should be as good or better than the opposition, and really like the academy half-back pairing from Ennis as backup, Coughlan and Butler.

Despite Nankivell being out with concussion, we'll still have options in the centre, could go with Frisch and O'Brien, but expect them to go with Scannell and Frisch. If we end up with Scannell and O'Brien I'm not sure we'll be able to impose ourselves on the opposition. Nankivell will be missed in terms of his attacking ability, hopefully he won't be out for long. Have not seen Gibbons so can't say if he should be given a run against Cardiff if there are any more injuries.

Even though we're missing Campbell and Liam Coombes, and with Nash not available yet, the back three should still be steady, and have played a bit together now and should be fairly cohesive. Don't know how good Hogan is, or if Shay McCarthy is a better player. Zebo might not be able to come back into the 23 on his first week back training, maybe he won't make the bench. Presume Ben O'Connor is an option too should we need him.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Foxe hasnt played a game all season afaik due to injury.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Few of the injuries have been muscle related. They've nearly all been impact related. There's little S&C can do for things like JODs knee or Hodnetts finger.

Advertisement