Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't forget the free access to healthcare and the legal system.

In other countries if an AS is seen as being a cost to the health system in that country it can be grounds for refusal but over in soft mark Ireland they can bring their health problems with them and Paddy will foot the bill for it.

Or do like the Brits and put them on a barge like the Bibby Stockholm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Well I was watching a programme last year on sky about AS in Australia and one of them was refused due to whatever problem they had being a burden on the Australian health system which the taxpayer there would have to foot the bill for.

You anti-immigration lads fairly have a thing about Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Imagine being deluded enough to claim that:

(a) We cannot control immigration, so therefore we shouldn't try to discourage asylum scammers.

and

(b) That the only response is to build; that we can and should build enough accommodation for everyone who destroys their passports at our borders, while also building enough houses to sort out our housing crisis at the same time, even though we have had a housing crisis for over a decade and still havent been able to sort it.

Imagine making such outrageous claims and then accusing other people of being unrealistic when they suggest we should implement changes to our immigration policies 😂

Doesn't look great for your argument that you have to go to such lengths to misrepresent the opposing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭enricoh

Rte prime time with a segment on adults living at home. Numbers of 28 year olds owning own house has collapsed since 1998.

Over 40% of 30-40 year olds living at home, Denmark has 4%.

What happened since 1998? Must be nothing to do with immigration as none of the contributors mentioned it once!

VM1 on about Mount Street now.

Nobody asking why VM1 staff were acting as a taxi service at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Virgin 'the people traffickers' with an impartial debate as usual 😆........literally all singing from the same sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 54,264 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Feels like watching "The Tonight Show' all these asylum seekers should get a house.

But fair play to Independent TD Michael McNamara, fair **** play.

It feels alot these Independents are the only ones speaking for the people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I turned it off and went to bed early - we don’t have a media anymore we just have a series of free spin doctors for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Strange. I could have sworn I saw yourself and your communists buddies repeatedly label others as "far right" and "anti-immigrant" because they said we should stop asylum scammers.

"My argument" , by the way, was that we need to increase the number of visitor visas required in Ireland, as this would help us greatly. Speaking of this, I'm still waiting for you to admit you were talking sħite when you said that visitor visas aren't important. Give us a shout when you want to correct yourself on that one, comrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That's Bernie - 'OMG, THEY'VE ONLY GOT ONE TOILET, IT'S A DISGRACE!' - which was great fun here at the w/e

The same Bernie who's partner from Sierra Leone has been here for years and has a deportation order against him but brazened it out until Jennifer Whitmore (SocDem) badgered Micheal Martin to let him stay

Bernie is best ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Michael McNamara complaining on virgin media about the length of time it's taking to process asylum applications.

I hear what he's saying, but, if we're talking about incentives doesn't a faster application decision actually make ireland MORE attractive and result in more arrivals? Given that we don't seem to deport people,that means they'll go from 38 euro to full welfare of 230 euro even faster, and the ability to work.

So, shouldn't we just delay and delay their application. Make it a 20 year process living in a tent in Ireland's climate, that will put people off if nothing else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

They're of no benefit to the country. GDP increases if you pay someone to dig holes and another to fill them in.

There should be no such thing as deliveroo. People should get up off their rear to get their McDonald's.

The Georgians do good work on building sites and make a lot of money. However should the taxpayer be providing them free housing and medical cards?

There's not a snowball chance in hell the Georgians are genuine refugees (just like the rest of them) so why not give them working visas and bloody make them pay their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What most people want is faster processing of claims, and much more forced accompanied deportations.

Physically brought onto aircraft, and physically removed from aircraft in Albania, Georgia, USA, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

But yet as you well know nobody is anti immigration, people are anti unlimited immigration and pro the right type of immigrant. Have you a limit in terms of numbers we should be allowing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

This is what pisses me off...there are 'International Protection Applicants' (whatever the hell that is) who simply know that we have a serious housing crisis here, so they know full well if they are allowed to apply and to stay as an IPA, they will be able to work and stay in state provided accommodation.

This whole repurposing of city centre accommodation and building modular homes quickly, like we don't have a serious housing crisis for our born and breds. Why the sudden rush to sort accommodation for others but not our own. A lot of this city centre accommodation should be given over to house students.

I am genuinely sad that my children will not get to live the kind of life I lived, whereby I lived in Dublin city centre for years paying a low rent and had the option of buying a house in Dublin on a teacher salary if I wanted to stay there.

Everything is a struggle these days and it takes the complete enjoyment out of life, constantly worried about money, housing and what kind of life my children will have in the future in this country.

Another thing that pisses me off is how certain people are making serious serious amounts of money from this industry. There should be little to no profit to be made accommodating IPAs and refugees. The likes of that Banty McEnaney and his family making €130 million from their direct provision centres. WTF!

Anyway government, hurry the hell up and sort out this mess. You are destroying my beautiful country.

From being out and about, the silent section who didn't say much but were waiting for an election to vote these gobshites out, are getting more and more pissed off and vocal about this absolute farce of a government and the **** show of inviting every T,D and H to come and live here, why you pay for it and struggle to live yourself. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The way things are going the Irish tourism industry is bunched also, as only people who will be able to afford to vist and holiday here will be the very wealthy. I'm glad we were able to holiday in Ireland with our family for many years, before this sh*t show started, certainly couldn't afford to do it now with the price of everything. Of course, some of the usual suspects will be along shortly and they will say "pity about you, think of these poor unfortunates, fleeing war and persecution etc". It's a very sad state of affairs when you're priced out of your own country and all for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Also, I wanted to make the point that another poster (can't remember who it was now) put up an excellent and very comprehensive break down of African countries and their accelerated population increases. Basically, Africa as a continent will be doubling in population in the next 25 years to 2.5 billion. And people think this is completely sustainable to keep taking in huge amount of IPAs, refugees and asylum seekers. Which will only increase to shocking rates.

Scary to think that people don't see how their own quality of life won't suffer. It is putting a huge strain on resources in every sense.

Survival of the fittest and all that.

It sounds inhumane and selfish but it is simply unsustainable with no end in sight.

Humanity as a race can have an infinite population which is destroying the place ultimately.

Let me try to respond to this question more politely this time around.

What happens when this 'limit' is reached? What's the point in talking about a 'limit' when you've got no measure to introduce when that 'limit' is met?

For the record I'm not in favor of unlimited immigration. I think there's too much migration in general in the world in recent years. That includes young people having to leave Ireland as well people from outside having to leave their own families and communities to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Repro212

This will be sacrilege to many and my name may be mud from here on in but for me a united Ireland is becoming increasingly irrelevant. What's the point of having a big hoo ha about reunification, when it inevitably happens, if the Irish and Irish culture are in decline, a minority in our own country as we are rapidly replaced by people with very different history, cultures, values and belief systems. Sinn Fein need to get their finger out their politically correct arses and recognise that in 2024 uncontrolled immigration is the biggest threat to the fabric of our island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I do blame the Government for much of the current situation. O'Gorman's famous tweets, failure to take action against people destroying passports enroute, failure to enforce deportations, not changing course when hotels were being used on a large scale for immigrants.

But the idea that the Government should have had enough houses waiting for tens of thousands of people who might or might not arrive is really, really moronic. The idea that Ireland can build its way out of the situation is also stupid. The industry is flat to the board already, and large scale immigration is still continuing.

People who make these arguments can't be taken seriously. Even if the country had enough houses, which it certainly won't have in the medium term, there'd still be far too much pressure on services.

McNamara is almost unique among politicians in that he is very intelligent and means what he says.

This is the bigger picture that gets lost. The reality is that legal immigration has been far too high also.Havig so many people come in, particularly since 2003, has been a huge contributor to the housing crisis. It's an inconvenient truth.

40% of people aged 30-40 in their parents home is an incredible statistic. If it was that for 20-30 years olds it'd be woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

It's theoretically even worse than that. I could see unionists and republicans being equal in number and new incomers holding the sway vote.

SF and DUP or whatever the parties are there courting them.

Won't make a great romantic ballad will it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Simplistic this may be, but watching an episode of Nothing to Declare, about the Australian border force - why on earth can our own GNIB/INIS/whatever it is now not operate in a similar way ? Is it lack of manpower ? Lack of will ?

Laddo comes in with a dodgy story and is interviewed; story is clearly nonsense and off he goes back on the flight he came in on. Comes up with an asylum yarn ? Off to Villawood Detention Centre until it is sorted. No Direct Provision, no payments - just three meals and a bed.

Legal immigration is desperately needed - healthcare, service industries etc - and immigration on our terms is absolutely fine. However the categorising everyone as "seeking International Protection" is not helping - there are genuine asylum seekers fleeing persecution I'm sure but the vast majority are chancers looking for a payday, and lumping them all in the same boat helps no one.

There has to be a temporary halt on anyone not with a legal work visa while we get a handle on this and a grown up conversation involving all parties. And tough questions need to be asked of those seeking IP - how many countries have you been in the last year, how did you get to Ireland, what are you hoping to get here ?? Proper questioning - not the soft nonsense that Lucky bloke gets when he is feted on Virgin Media One!

We can but hope!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement