Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Irish Gigs (Confirmed & Rumoured Events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Also double what I paid for Lindsey Buckingham tickets a couple years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thats a nice small venue for The War On Drugs.

Can only dream they might add Cork Opera House.

I am one of the unfortunate Irish souls who bought Hyde Park tickets so you can say that again

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Another tour skipping Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

There's another Live at the Marquee announcement tomorrow at 9am. Bit of a dripfeed in announcements this year. Would have expected most/all of the gigs to be announced by end of this month/next month with it starting at the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Better value by far. Hyde Park great for gigs and always an impressive line up of support acts. Nicks herself the main warm-up for Tom Petty there 6/7 years ago alongside the Lumineers and 4/5 others.

No doubt it'll have a great lineup and be a great day (weather permitting) but never would have even considered it had she announced Dublin at the same time, I much prefer indoor venues. Plus Hyde Park requires flights and a hotel so winds up being a lot more all in. Tbh if I had to see her in England I'd have chosen Manchester rather than London.

Would've loved to go to that Tom Petty gig.

Agreed, Hyde Park is not a good venue.

If you want a good view you need to be up close, that means paying through the nose for the Gold Circle or Diamond Circle or whatever other bollix section they have there.

They have introduced tiered pricing there this year too so its even more expensive.

3Arena is far superior but tickets starting at €138.50 is another example of the price gouging by promoters in Ireland.

Glasgow prices start at £86.90 which is ~ 100 euro and that includes 6.5% extra VAT.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Couldn't believe when the ad on radio said starting at 138 euro, makes me glad most acts I'm interested in seeing are playing smaller venues, the gouging since the pandemic is unreal.

• Advertisement

Ach, apologies but I gotta strongly disagree. I caught a couple of dozen gigs in Hyde Park whilst living in London and never had an issue with sight or sound. And I never bought golden circle. Bar prices are not over-inflated, the set up is pretty attractive and it’s so central that it’s very easy to get to and away from.

Prices are (or were) generally reasonable too though Stevie Nicks prices there look bad. I paid £70 for Paul McCartney in 2010 and amongst others we got Beach House, Elvis Costello, Crowded House and Crosby Stills & Nash as support. Pals who caught him in Dublin paid €130 and got the bonus of the Coronas.

Fair enough that you prefer indoor shows but one saving grace at least should be some great support acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭furrybones

The other half is a huge Stevie Nicks fan, and i hope to get tix as a birthday gift.... but chr1st that's pricey 😕 (watch us all buy them anyway 🤭)

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Fanirish

That’s actually wrong. That was if same price range as Glasgow it’s not apparently as per radio advert

Agreed about the pricing, I assume trying to make up for playing in a comparatively small venue. Is it a stretch to say Malahide would've been used, only for SZA playing there the same day?

It's mad that before covid gold circle wasn't wasn't a given at every outdoor gig here in Ireland. Killers at Malahide didn't have it and neither did My Chemical Romance. Generally don't mind paying an extra tenner for it, I actually like the idea of it a lot, but it's crazy how much more expensive gold circle can be. Taylor Swift, AC/DC and Pearl Jam all not far off €200 for gold circle. Like the Wild West out there at the moment, all these money hungry artists doing what ever they can to get an extra penny out of everyone with dynamic pricing, VIP, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭furrybones

Oh for fk sake, we're just being robbed at every turn. It's just draining at this point 😏. I've already been fleeced for Olivia R because the daughter was "literally gonna die" if she didn't get tickets - even swore she would never ask for another thing for the rest of her life 🤥🤥🤥

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The 'later addition' of Irish shows can be frustrating esp if you booked plans straight away to hopefully get better price transport/accommodation etc

80% of the time I'd go for the Irish option although a 'gig holiday' is nice

2010, in all fairness thats 14 years ago.

General Admission for Hyde Park will cost 90-135 pounds, Gold Circle , 180+.

Its gone up alot since Covid, it used to be ~80 pounds for GA and was excellent value , they have hiked that and they have tiered pricing too.

Just had a look , Stevie Nicks GA is now on Tier 3 and its £132.95 , Gold Circle is also Tier 3 and £252.95 .

Mental prices to stand in a field.

Her tour is nearly all indoor arenas, only Hyde park is outdoors. MCR at imma had a pit with wristbands. They didn’t charge for it though. Charging for golden circles is relatively new, some shows it’s a tenner but higher end of artist are extracting as much as they can from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Eye watering prices, think I'll giver her a miss. Really hope this trend of stupid pricing leads to a serious burn for a promoter soon.

sadly not on likes of this, and sure mcd have monopoly so a loss or two is not end of the world for them

• Advertisement

Monopoly on certain gigs but people don't have to go to bigger gigs especially not with these mad prices. Could push people to smaller gigs or gigs abroad to get a holiday out of it. Know the likes of EP, Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Bruce Springsteen, AC DC etc have all sold out so maybe there's always plenty of demand for these types of artists and these prices. Just wonder if/when the bubble may burst.

Post edited by Eod100 on

The types of gig which people go abroad for are generally also going to be something to do with LiveNation.

I think to a certain extent we assume promoters are stupider than they are. When a gig sells out straight away technically that means you could’ve charged more. Not to say a lot of these gigs will definitely sell out, but isn’t it possible the goal is 70% of tickets sold and anything more is a bonus (70% purely being illustrative)? Didn’t take a genius to work out Green Day wouldn’t sell out at the same prices charged for Hella Mega for example. Just a thought, no idea how some of these prices are realised but would certainly explain why so many gigs are going on sale for big money and not selling out.

Smaller gigs are great but I suppose there’s a reason they are smaller and much cheaper. The only people interested are dedicated music fans for the most part. Vast majority of people have no interest. Ironic in a way because you get people who go on about how great it must have been seeing Oasis, Nirvana etc. in the early days but turn their nose up at seeing bands starting out today.

The problem is that these "big" shows cost so much now that people have no money left for smaller shows.

Its these small shows in small venues where acts and artists are created, and small venues are struggling and closing especially in the UK.

Its not sustainable and when alot of these legacy acts retire, like Springsteen and AC/DC, it will be grim.

I mean I don’t think people go so many big shows they can’t afford to spend 20 quid (or less) on someone playing in Workmans, Whelans etc.

We see the effects of it already, the concept of a 2010s rock band barely exists in comparison to every decade prior. I’ve thought for a while though that labels are aware of that though and that’s why we are seeing new bands a lot more, whether they get to arena level and beyond is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Sorry, but that's BS in my opinion many of the smaller shows are less than 20 or 30 quid. E.g. Going to Corella in May and it's only €16.50, I actually feel guilty paying that little for anyone that has to travel across the pond.

Speaking anecdotally I’ve seen a few small gigs in Galway this year that didn’t have a huge attendance. I have though seen the following pack the Róísín or Monroes - NewDad, Ash, The Clockworks and Shark School. There are many more pre-Summer that are already sold out or will soon - Muireann Bradley, Havvk, Sprints, The Bluetones, Cass McCombs, Jane Weaver, Coach Party, Miles Kane and others. The price range for all above is €8-€24. The smaller venues are in fine fettle I think, subsidised also by the clubs and late-night drinking that take place there (Dolans, Whelans, Workman’s , Cyprus Avenue, etc).

A wide range of attendees also and the stars of tomorrow are getting plenty of essential support. The medium-sized venues (Olympia, Vicar St, Black Box Galway, etc) also seem to be thriving. Thus the venues are there for our emerging artists but, as is oft said, where are the 3k/4k venues in our cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

It's basically a warehouse but it's a surprisingly decent venue IMO. Very central, holds around 2,500, good acoustics.

Lyra announced for the Marquee playing Sunday 16th June. Tickets on sale Monday at 9am.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

anyone else find NICK CAVE pre sale not working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I played around with the web address as the address in the newsletter didn't work - this should work for you as it worked for me and I got cracking seats.

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/1800606CD75648BD?did=artpre

Advertisement