Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭deezell

Looking at the data sheet/brochure there's also the spec for two matching hybrid inverters, which appear to be stackable with the battery, and tidy looking. I wonder if either if these is the model of the optional hybrid in your quote. The spec gives output for grid or backup, so perhaps the inverter has a buiit in off grid output and change over relay, very useful with a battery to keep essentials running during a power cut. The battery is well priced when you search for random prices for that model online. I'm not seeing it for 2 grand anywhere.

Its your decision on whither the extra €2800 is justified and might pay for itself. It depends entirely on your use pattern, FIT rate, and the difference between night rate stored and the day rate saved when discharged the next day, and how much you shift daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

Thanks again, that was the exact spec sheet that was sent within the proposal document so with my limited knowledge did seem decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

Thanks it appears to be one of them as the spec sheet was included in the proposal along with spec sheet for panels.

Still mulling over the extra €2800, the thought of the lower solar generation in the winter and loading the battery on our cheaper night tariff is enticing. From Reading the plethora of posts on boards alone filling the battery and feeding excess back to the grid is possible in Summer months providing I’ve got a big enough system installed on the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭deezell

The phrase, 'the thin edge of the wedge' comes to mind. From the masses point of view, it's Ryanair pricing for electricity. Tariffs for ticket touts. Full of traps. They won't understand it, or want it, or be rubbing their hands saying 'bring it on'. This will become political when enough people are about to be screwed royally. What's next, peak pricing for your bus ticket? When you use a toll road? a takeaway, a pint? Actually, we already have that when you go to a gig or a match. €15 for a pint and a sausage roll, but at least thats optional. What kind of a country do we want, one where a pensioner sits waiting till 8.00 pm to boil the kettle, out of price fear?

They spent €1000s per home on (unused) smart water meters to conserve water, instead of fixing the leaks. Maybe they should just invest in grid storage at a local level, stick a 5kwh grid battery box in every home that wants one, at cost or less, instead of all those feared and unused smart meters. Like the Irish water debacle, a rainwater barrel would have worked better

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

We already have peak bus and toll prices in Dublin! Some of the private bus companies have peak and off peak prices. Likewise the port tunnel has peak and off peak prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

I've got six quotes for a ground mounted system, four of which in similar price range: 18 panels, inverter, 5.3kwh battery, Eddi & install for c.€14,500 after grant. That's more than what some here have posted/David Hunt shows is a good deal but my understanding is that ground mount costs add on a bit.

Aside from the above, a provider from the other end of the country, was about €2k cheaper but uses a different framing system so we'd pay a bit extra for groundworks (others use either screwpile or tree systems so groundworks not needed). If this cheapest quote were more local I'd feel a bit more comfortable but what are people's experiences of problems & rectifications with smaller providers that are aren't remotely close by?

Oh and the 6th quote was from everyone's favourite national provider at €23k after grant!!!

Aside from the stupidly high priced option, which is obviously a non-runner, the differences in quotes partially reflect what appear to be differences in hardware. So is it worth paying up for some hardware over others? Panels seem to be either Jinko/Longi/Qcells; Inverters include Solis or Hypontech; batteries from Weco or Dyness.

One place also gave us a quote to go from Solis inverter+5.3kwh WeCo battery to a Qhome inverter + 6.86kwh Qhome battery for an additional €1,700.

I'm struggling to find explanations/unbiased reviews explaining why it may be worth paying one of these vs the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,896 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

15 panels (430w), roof mounted

Inverter

5kWh battery

BER

€7K

seems decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

How does this quote look? According to the David Hunt calculator it's high, but then it is a small system:

Roof Mounted 9 Panels - Leapton 400 Watt

1 No. Solis Hybrid Inverter

All labour works/SEAI grant paperwork/BER Assessment/NC6 form/App to monitor daily what your system is producing

€ 7,450.00 @ 0% VAT

€ 2,100.00 SEAI Gran

€ 5,350.00 Final Cost to Customer

Payback Period = 5,350.00 / 1,401 = 3.8 year payback

Adding a 5Kw battery would be 4,000.00 extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,896 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's after the grant, but I still think it's a good price based on what I've seen here and on the FB group (and other quotes I've had).

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ZMOONY

Dyness battery is 1500. Weco battery is 2100. Puredrive is 2750. All compatible with Solis.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 0riginal

That looks great, I recently had 15 panels with hybrid inverter but without the battery or BER for €6k. If it’s a reputable company that quoted you I’d go for it. BER alone seems to be between €250 and €350

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

The value of the grant for this size array would be 2100. Using the rule of thumb of €1000 per kW of panels, €420 per kWh of battery, and €300 for the BER, that should be about €8750 for that system (after grant). That's a fantastic quote, go for it!

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

Check Your Quote

When we are seeking a Solar PV installation we think of: the number of panels; a hybrid or a string inverter; a battery; or a diverter. In addition optimisers might be needed.

Use the following to work out a price for negotiation with installers. There are different inverter and different panels etc. Which would make for variation.

10 Panels with standard inverter €5,400

Plus for hybrid inverter €500

Plus for each additional panel 1/2 €150

Plus for further additional panels €125

Plus for each optimiser if necessary €50

Plus for diverter €600

Plus for 5K battery €2,500

Plus for BER if included €250

At present panels seem to be at least 435w

Your total will be a gross price before grant and this is the amount you will be paying Installer.

If an Installer quote is far off these figures it is excessive.

There will be differing views as to these amounts, the intention is to assist people get the best value. The trajectory on prices is downwards, and the above will be amended from time to time.

Do not confine yourself to getting quotes from local installers, many operate Nationwide.

At an early stage you should seek clarification on deposit protection; and any additional costs as to: optimisers if required; earth rod issues etc.

The SEAI places an obligation on the Installer and Applicants for grants to enter into a Written Contract. Insist upon this as it is important for clarification in case of dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

Seeking quote advise

• 13x430W Trina Solar panels
    • Huawei 5kw inverter
    • Eddi
    • Projoy switch
    • BER

6.6K after grant

If I add a huawei 5kw battery, it an extra 3.5k

Does this quote seem reasonable and any feedback on Trina solar panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭reggie3434

Got a quote today where they were putting in a hybrid inverter even though I asked for no battery, they said that the price of micro generation will be going down in the future and good to have option of battery. Any thoughts on this as the selling electricity part has tipped me to really considering buying a system, I work in IT and see the hassle with maintaining UPS systems

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tommythecat

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tommythecat

For the price difference many would say you should just put the hybrid in just in case. You can always build a DIY battery later.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Install 11 No. 435W Jinko Solar Panels (System Value: 4.785 kWp)

Huawei Sun 2000 4KLT inverter

BER

Cost less grant €8400 installed

Cork area. How does that compare? seems a little high..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ZMOONY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

thanks for confirming, figured as much! any recommended installers in Cork? searching the forum now also

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Signed a contract this evening for the following

The panels aren't jinko but a German brand Q cell

Not cheap by any means but best quote yet and they (company) have a very good name

Mod:No naming suppliers, have also deleted the screenshot as it has the name

19? 425w Panels, eddi, 12k after grant by the looks of it.

@gym_imposter Expensive, If it was me I would cancel it and go elsewhere. Just search that company to give you an idea of how expensive they are and the underhanded tactics they use to lure you in. Also no companies can be named here so best to edit the post and just post the details. Use this as a guideline http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

They are the cheapest I've found so far, I'm not going to cancel but appreciate the feedback

Have you got quotes off the suppliers members here used? I would be surprised if none of them could do better than that tbh. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest

• Advertisement

Advertisement