Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furiosa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With the release date still 6 months away, CGI at this stage will always look unfinished. I'm sure it'll be a different kettle of fish in the middle of next year. It's not exactly a departure either, I mean, Fury Road had absolutely TONNES of CGI in it. It's the combination of on-the-ground real vehicles in real locations, ramped up with hugely heightened CGI elements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The CGI looks to be used in exactly the same way it was in Fury Road: to completely heighten the "reality" of this world into something almost surreal; cribbing about its presence feels a bit redundant at this stage - when we know how fabulous Miller has made it all look. No way you can claim Fury Road's own was "convincing". I hope he's given the post-production time to make the thing looked as accentuated as he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Wow, the War Rig looks nice and shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So that's where depressed Thor disappeared to.

Hopefully they clean up the CGI a bit as it looks a whole lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Looks good,

Pity that's it's ruined that Thor turns into imortan Joe in the trailer and casting credits on Google.

Looks good, I like mad max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Will definitely go see it, but have to agree that the majority of the chase and action scenes in the trailer look like terrible CGI, I know there was CGI in the last instalment but the majority of the action scenes showcased in the early trailers for the last one heavily showcased the real live action, and you could tell.

Makes me worry the same level of stunt commitment is not going to be in this one. Hope I'm wrong

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ha, well it wasn’t for me until you posted that.

<edit> though actually I think you might be wrong on that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like Chris Hemsworth's chopper will follow the rules of this world and look both insane and wildly impractical:

If the apocalypse wasn't hell enough, you have to deal with boy racers!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New trailer

It's cinemas May 24th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭junkyarddog

New trailer just released.

As much as I love the Mad Max universe,I think it may be getting just a little bit ridiculous now.

Hope they clean up that CGI,looks more like a cartoon at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

The CGI looks crap.

Regards,

P.

I love that George Miller has basically got a really late in life blank cheque to make whatever he wants, to the level he wants.

Yeah it looks like a cartoon. So did Fury Road; this was no bad thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do think Three Thousand Years of Longing went a bit too hard on the ol’ glossy CGI, to the detriment of the film. So I hope Miller has pulled back a bit here. Granted, that was a pandemic production so was a bit more restricted than it might otherwise have been.

But Fury Road was a glorious slice of exaggerated cartoonish excess, and I’m very glad this film seems to be sticking to that. Will reserve judgement on how successful it is til I see it on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Regardless of how this movie turns out, if they follow the trend of re-releases and we get Fury Road back in theatres for a week it'll be all worth it.

For sure: the pandemic obviously forced Miller to use CGI for what should have otherwise been fairly mundane scenes; I remember the last scene was supposed to be a simple walk in a park yet looked so achingly false.

A couple of fleeting moments during (what I presume to be) the big finale set-piece looked a bit ropey but this "Fury Road universe" approach has from the get-go been extremely exaggerated both visually & tonally. I can accept "cartoon/bad CGI" when the film stages itself as a cartoon - I'd look at something like the now-ancient Kung Fu Hustle as an example of similar. To criticise that this looks like a cartoon I do have to wonder if users actually even watched Fury Road in the first place! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Turns out they've already scheduled some screenings, tickets booked 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,953 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never in doubt.

So it's standing ovation season again? I hope the standing ovation got a standing ovation.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cannes-furiosa-world-premiere-greeted-193922420.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Been listening to the soundtrack on Spotify. The Fury Road OST was immense and Furiosa is once again done by Junkie XL. It's just as immense as Fury Road. Can't wait for the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Hmmm……..I recall something similar happening last year with the Premier of Indiana Jones and the Dial of destiny. But to be fair to George Miller, Mad max fury Road was an absolute belter so this could be as good as the standing ovation may suggest

The Cannes standing ovation culture is nonsense and should be ignored (ideally by the trade publications, too).

Critical response is a much better gauge of what’s happening over there. It’s very much a mixed bag year given the wildly disparate opinions on display for virtually every film screened so far, but Furiosa is one of the few that seems to have a very enthusiastic response on the whole (a few outliers aside, as is always the case).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just out from seeing this tonight.

As a spoiler free summary, I would say it's good but not quite on the same level as Fury Road - partly because it's impossible not to have expectations after Fury Road.

Structurally it goes for a different storytelling mode than Fury Road, which I liked - it made it feel like its own thing, avoiding the trap if sequels that just want to repeat the same story as the first film. The pacing can't quite compare, though it is interesting to see a story set in the post-collapse wasteland with a grander scale than the previous films.

Weirdly enough, the only thing that I thought was a bit weak was

The way the epilogue falls over itself to tie directly into the start of Fury Road, which felt a bit out of place and lacking confidence.

Happily this is for me a very minor thing. Sight & Sound's weekly mailshot suggests that Miller is channeling Cecil Demille's biblical epics with this, and that's probably a good reference for the general register of the film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would agree with this. It's fine on its own right but it's tied to Fury Road and comes up a little wanting. Miles and miles ahead of the usual Hollywood offerings though so there's that.

I absolutely loved Chris Hemsworth in this. Must've been nice for him to speak in what one assumes is his normal voice. It gets a little messy at the end but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Bloody excellent IMO. A very different film that Fury Road (though there’s a glorious extended chase in the middle that more than satisfies that itch) but no worse for it. Consider it a variation on what Miller did in that film - something grander yet also more constrained. Hits exactly what you want from a Mad Max film, but does so in a new and intriguing register. Still as absurd and exaggerated as before, but now with a stronger emotional core and righteous quest for vengeance powering it forward.

There’s definitely more CG than Fury Road (which was already full of CG), but looks a lot better in the big screen than the trailers suggested. Retains that bright, cartoonish excess of Fury Road, but Miller’s just a master of the close-up as well (that title shot from the trailer is amazing in context). The only bit that didn’t really work for me in the visual sense was an action scene during the first visit to the Citadel, which looked awkward in some shots. Otherwise, I thought it was an exciting and vibrant bit of filmmaking throughout and a big step up from Three Thousand Years of Longing. TBH, nobody is doing it like George Miller at the moment - just bold, idiosyncratic filmmaking on a huge scale.

What really worked for me was the build up. It feels like the stakes keep ratcheting up throughout, until the Furiosa we recognise from Fury Road finally emerged. The score is really interesting in that regard - less constantly in-your-face than its predecessor, instead building up and building up until it finally erupts during the film’s crescendos.

Taylor Joy is a pitch perfect Furiosa by the end, but there’s a welcome growth to the character over the course of the film. Hemsworth is having the time of his life, and it’s delightful to witness.

Definitely won’t work for everyone, and lacks the constant thrill of Fury Road’s endless chase. But a very welcome return to that world - the same in some respects, but strikingly different in others. A colourful, odd, operatic epic that channels the magic of its predecessors while still finding its own captivating tune and rhythm. Pretty great!

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

A bit underwhelming.Narratively, the stakes are neutered by its place as a prequel, which can't be helped, but felt like a lot of story threads were abandoned, some secondary characters (not in Fury Road) don't really amount to much. And some kinda "why?" "Because" decisions.

It probably finishes a bit too close to Fury Road's start, for Furiosa in particular. Feels there's more needed there to explain Theron's place.

It definitely looks more CGI'd, particularly the lengthy prologue, but action scenes are great, especially the creative use of flight.

Soundtrack is as meaty and chunky as before but doesn't hit the same epic highs.

ATJ is totally up to the task of playing the lead, and Hemsworth is good fun.

It's a fun movie. Buts it's no Fury Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭engineerws

I'm a bit surprised by the critics. I remember going to captain America based on the reviews and being pretty shocked by how infantile and juvenile it was. Furiosa seems to be heading towards a boring and vacuous path.

Max 1 and 2 had decent stories. I don't expect anything from furiosa but given the poster reviews it baffles me that the critics would applaud for 7 minutes.

Advertisement