Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He's put out a somewhat odd tweet though about the "woke gallery" and "NGOs".....trying to court the far right vote or something? Slightly peculiar language for a former cabinet minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The conservative rural nationalist vote is up for grabs, Willie knows this. Fianna Fail lost this vote to Sinn Fein and the rural independents, he wants it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The funny thing is he and Mattie McGrath don't believe in any of this stuff themselves - it does seem a bit opportunistic to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

O'Dea and Chambers are engaging in old fashioned bog standard undermining of the leader. Don't think for a second it is about the referendum issues, far right or near left stuff, it isn't.

It's internal FF jockeying and stalking horses coming under starters orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Advertisement

Seems strange for Chambers. Wasn't she a darling of MM. He sorted her out for a Seanad seat and all.

I wonder does this have anything to do with it:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Matt Carthy is saying SF won't rerun these Referendums if in Govn't. MLMCD said the opposite last week. They're all running for cover IWT. Just admit most of the political parties got this very wrong. Even though I voted Yes/Yes, others in my family voted Yes No, One has to have good reason and a clear path, when asking the Irish people to change the Constitution.

To be fair to the opposition parties they were given no input into the wording, the choice of date or any of the other mistakes that were made in relation to these referenda. The government rushed the bill through and didn't accept any changes. The opposition parties (with the exception of Aontu) gave it a lukewarm backing. I didn't see a single poster by any of them nor do I recall any media appearances by them backing it.

It certainly means that they can't put the boot in as much as they could have done had they called for a No vote but it doesn't mean that they cannot be critical of how the government botched these (and I say that as someone who voted Yes-Yes myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Matt has looked at the polling and it seems like 80% of SF voters who showed up were against both proposals and he knows chatter about going again is political suicide in a probable election year.

FF had a similar number of their voters who rejected it and Martin wasn't naive enough to chatter about going again.

Its very naive of Mary Lou to chatter about going again when its clear her supporters voted no-no.

She isn't talking about going again. She was asked when she arrived at the count centre on Saturday would Sinn Fein run these referendums again if Sinn Fein are in power and she said "No".

After a resounding defeat like that no political parties are going to touch either of these clauses in the constitution, with a barge pole, for a generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

ANY wording for ANY referendums dealing with those two articles would have been defeated imo. And by roughly the same margins imo.Too many complications available to No sayers.

I remember a few months back doing an analysis of all of the FG TDs who have announced they are retiring at the next election. Everyone under 65 was someone who had lost a ministerial job when FG went from the 2016 minority government to the 2020 coalition. Looking at the other TDs who that happened to, who were under 65 - there was only one left. That was Ciaran Cannon.

Well lo and behold:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And yet the very elderly Durkan has explicitly said he is running in Kildare North. Hasn't had a Ministry since the 90s either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭blackwhite

In a statement, he said that there was a "coarseness, a toxicity in politics now that was barely palpable 20 years ago."

He added: "None of us asks to be put on a pedestal, or to be treated any differently. We just ask to be treated with the same civility and respect as anyone else doing their job.

"Yes, politicians are subject to public scrutiny, and rightly so, but what we are experiencing right now goes far beyond that and can be deeply damaging to our wellbeing. At times it feels like it's open season on you and your family.

"That's not acceptable, nor indeed sustainable, if we want to have good people choosing politics as a career," he said.

I imagine statements like this will become all too common over the next few years. The last 10 years have seen a very nasty personalised streak brought into political discourse in this country.

Hard to see why anyone would turn away from a decent career to expose themselves to the abuse that politicians now are subjected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s not even a particularly well paid career these days considering the hours, workload, and abuse you get online. It’s a problem.

Yes and whatever abuse the male politicians receive you can multiply by a factor for the female politicians.

Not only does social media allow people to target elected representatives with anonymous abuse instantly, easily and free of charge but it also creates a feeding frenzy among people, allowing them to feel like what they are doing is both popular and correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

No great loss to Galway East, not quite as useless as Ann Rabbitte but a mediocrity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

So, Nina Carberry running on the FG ticket in the next European elections. A cynical move by both FG and by her l would suggest a bit naive What interest has she previously expressed on political issues? Outside of her undoubted ability as a jockey what does she know about being a politician?Nothing against her, she seems like a perfectly nice person but hopefully people will see through this and any other similar stunts pulled by the other political parties as b lm sure there will be more “celebrity candidates “

Post edited by Archduke Franz Ferdinand on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is she being prepped for a Dail seat?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mairead McGuinness was such a candidate who has been very successful in Europe. Why would one need anything to be a politician but the votes of the electorate. I am sure most successful candidates do a good job.

[I can think of two Irish MEPs, in particular, who are the exception to this.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

FG are the biggest party for 'celeb candidates' by far

Mairead McGuinness, Maria Walsh, Brody Sweeney (O'Briens/Camile), Lord Henry Mountcharles, George Lee, Kenny Egan, Peter Fitzpatrick all come to mind without having to search.

Yeah they wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't keep working for them in the past. Maria Walsh is a particularly egregious example in the very same constituency in the previous election. She had zero political experience at any level and still managed to get elected purely based on name recognition and the FG brand backing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Either Leo stepping away know, or some of the FG leadership not running during the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

My money would be on Leo stepping away, rats off a sinking ship

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't see the latter as being a 'political earthquake', so I'd guess it must be Leo.

He had talked (way before he became leader) about not seeing his political career as a long-term/life-time thing and eventually going back to medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

If it was Varadkar, Coveney or Donohoe, or two of that three, not running in the GE it might be considered an earthquake?

Although, if it's Leo going, maybe the Taoiseach position rotates back to FF for the remainder of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Numerous political correspondents saying it's not an election, and hard to see the point of a ministerial reshuffle within 12 months of an election.

Suspect Leo stepping down as FG leader is most likely - but who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Who takes over? Donohoe best of the bunch. Harris? Coveney or McEntee. Slim pickings.

Advertisement