Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭griffin100

I wouldn't be sounding the death knell of FG just yet. The new leader (if the right one is chosen) will have a year to steady the ship in the context of SF support slipping. If they elect Paschal then they have a chance, if they go for Simon Harris then it'll be 50:50, they they go for Helen McEntee then that's the end of FG in government for a long time.

The biggest influence on who gets to form the next government will be FF. If they get rid of MM quickly and select a leader who is happy to go into government with SF then that's the make up of the next government. If they elect an anti SF leader then you are looking at the current government plus maybe some independents continuing on.

Varadkar has no one but himself to blame for the way things have turned out. He had a big wave of support behind him when he became Taoiseach (I was a supporter) and to be fair he did a reasonable job during Covid, but over the last couple of years he has seemed disinterested, petulant and removed from the job. He has failed to get any real traction on the rental crisis and the associated brain drain of key workers. In particular he has led a government that through sheer ineptitude and arrogance has allowed the far right to gain a foothold in Ireland and is now being influenced by mob rule. Any legacy he once had is now tarnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ahh lads.. wud yous not have another one?? Just for the road like.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Good riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Any time I read someone say "Worst taoiseach ever", I just think "Aww, bless! Are you home early from school?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

God help us all if she gets the reigns. She is not fit for ministerial office nevermind Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dublincc2

He was a turncoat. He started out as pro-marriage and pro-life then became the poster boy against both. No backbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

What strange about Leo is that he's disliked here in Ireland but seems to be popular overseas. Meeting other people from other countries they always are impressed that Ireland elected an openly gay man and son of immigrants as leader of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

A stopped clock and all that. That's a first time for me to agree with Paul too

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

It's astonishing Micheal Martin still holds on. He is an ageing politician, and large amounts of his party openly defy and do not support him as leader- yet he steadfastly refuses to consider stepping down in the interest of his party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He won't be living in a tent.

He'll have a fatter pension than anything you or I could look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

She is not fit for ministerial office running a stall on Moore Street

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Wouldn't be surprised if McEntee get's the position, yes they are that stupid unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Now I know how the Brits felt the day the tories got rid of Thatcher.

Since he came in the country is less safe, we have less money, we are more anxious and divided as a society, there are more immigrants, an absolute disaster.

Only Ireland could have a gay Taoiseach simultaneously with gay men being beheaded in Sligo. The country is an absolute mess.

I laughed out loud when he said FG would gain seats at the next GE.

Ya, I especially remember him being pro-life and that he would never change his stance on that. Then he did a complete U-turn on it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think Pascal could save them some seats and Helen would sink them... They'll elect Helen.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

He was nearly crying at the end of his resignation speech there.

Maybe he’d be more in line to cry at the state he’s left our country in. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Allinall

Classic Leo move?

When did he do similar before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Helen McEmptystare and Simon “18 other Covid’s” Harris aren’t fit to run a village committee never mind a country!

Mickey Martin is too old and out of touch as a politician and needs to retire.

They have no mandate, general election now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

Yeah but even the fact its paul murphy just makes me want to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Oh here we go Michael Martin is giving his bit now. Are they all going to get a turn today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭randd1

I'd doubt it.

He barely scraped in as a TD the last time, the 8th count it was. They got such a kicking in the recent referenda they're still in a spin, a lot of which was down to his arrogance and hubris towards the Irish people. He'll likely not be elected the next term if he ran. He's generally despised.

He's become political poison. I'd say this is a shove more than a jump. FG know they're in bother for the next election, Leo front and centre and their dead for the next 10.

I'd say it's nothing more than FG protecting itself by removing a massive negative on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Isn't that just it though, a master of perception. Failed to deliver on anything policy related of note. All fur coat and no knickers as they say. Would do well in an NGO or some other organization like that where results don't matter but perception does.

He is liked aboard because of what he represents i.e. not white or heterosexual, not because of his actions in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I reckon Biden got pissed on Paddy's night and offered Leo the VP role.

We’ve had a huge loss of trust in society under his leadership, we are more bitter and angry as a people. There’s foreigners everywhere, people are afraid to speak their mind, we are being led into this climate nonsense regime.

A GE cannot come quickly enough.

MM to give a statement shortly; might be sooner than we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I missed what he said, did he say he will not be running for re-election as a TD?

When Leo said he hopes this coalition government is reelected, to me he's saying, when you're at the polls, remember that we weren't the only party to #### ye over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Can't stand the man or anything about his political viewpoints but can we leave out the sexual orientation stuff it's classless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

In fairness to the Biffo he definitely got the largest hospital pass yet......what about haughey

Advertisement