Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Why elect a new leader when that person could lose their seat in the next election?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Making difficult decisions is never popular, if you want to be ‘popular’ enter the Rose of Tralee or something.

And that’s not a reference to Varadker , it’s a generally accepted axiom, pal.

However Leo was right to go, had lost the dressing room, fell on his sword, that’s being honest.

Dont mind the mealy mouths who will populate the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,572 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He gave a decent speech about Gaza in front of Biden over in Washington DC a few days ago.

Maybe the Mossad fellas got to him 🧙‍♂️ (<-- closest I could find to a tinfoil hat emoji)

It would be ironic if both himself and Cosgrave got "cancelled" over the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

God help us all if she [McEntee] gets the reigns. She is not fit for ministerial office.

Don't think they'll give it to someone that's about to lose her seat

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

If Helen is not fit for ministerial office….what about Heather Humphreys ….now there’s a world class windbag. One of those two will be the next Deputy Leader if neither becomes leader.

After writing the above…I am now really depressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dublincc2

MM says they always worked well together and resignation came as total surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Poor Paul is too thick to realise that the next election means he'll be out on his arse with a 2nd SF TD in Dublin South-West replacing him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

They (FG) need to step back from social issues for a little bit and try to actually fix the main issues in the country first. Housing being the top issue. They won't do that under McEntee you're right.

Also, and this goes for all the main parties but they need to at least acknowledge the issues being faced with immigration at present rather than the current policy of sticking their fingers in their ears and going 'la la la la'

Obviously we have EU requirements to meet but if we can't even a) house our own and b) house the migrants then something is broken somewhere and needs to change...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,572 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It may have went over your head, but it's not a comment at him, rather a comment of how far society has come.

Also, If you read the rest of the post, I don't speak negatively about him at all - rather I say there is only so much sh1te one could take from the public. I also highlight that he is a doctor, as well as the fact that he might be moving on to a better job.

No need to virtue signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,782 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Pascal in to steady the ship for a year while winning back a few of the non-runners and being smart enough to give SF enough rope to hang themselves without embarrassing himself before we end up with the same shower getting voted back.

The song remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Like the rat that he is, running off a sinking ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

🤣🤣🤣

Can we even believe this is real its main stream media reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

pic that’s up on RTÉ main page.

C’mon boardsies. Give us your best “what are the others thinking” captions!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The writing was on the wall as soon as he saw the referendum result . He acted like a sulky teenager who didn’t get his way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Oh happy days. Hopefully less now of the lgbt,trans,woke pro immigration agenda .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He didn't scrape into his seat. He attracted nearly 20% of the vote and had a running mate. He came in on 5th count and was less than 300 votes from getting elected on first count. Anybody who points out what count somebody comes in on as a comparison between leaders just doesn't understand PR-STV (unless we're talking about somebody getting in on last count with a very close count).

There was a thread started with Ciaran Cannon announced he was stepping down and people were disagreeing with his comments re. the toxic nature towards TDs. Looking at this thread, he's not wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It presents an opportunity to remove the lot of them.

As bad as ff were to shaft the country during the crash not one of them can hold a candle to how HH or McE in terms out being out of touch, Hildegard N is another one. Nutters who should be left nowhere near any position of responsibility.

Coveney, Pascal and Harris are their only credible people in my opinion. I don’t think Harris would be for the big job he seems like he has some decency in him.

Coveney to take up the helm, pascal to remain in finance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Harris looks like he's already mentally rearranging the Taoiseach's office and thinking about where he'll put things 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Had he resigned immediately after the referendum result, he still would have went to Washington as taoiseach; just like now, Varadkar will remain taoiseach in every capacity until his successor is decided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Good riddance.

At least Fine Gael now have a chance at repairing the damage done to the party under his leadership.

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Donohue is probably the best politician they have right now. He has a very strong command of his current brief and has no real baggage.

McEntee's time at justice has been shaky and Harris has been somewhat sidelined in this government after his go at Health.

Coveney was excellent in foreign affairs so possibly the other front runner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

All political careers end in failure.

I'm not giving him an ounce of my time now, it's on with the show and let's see what happens. May we live in interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

successors? Not a great choice… charisma deficient Simon Coveney, the over rated and frankly incompetent Helen McEntee and the man who has never had a job of any description apart from being a TD..Simon Harris. God help is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Lord has answered my prayers, praise the Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The cowards are bailing out before the cull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It’s tiny alright Leo, but at least your balls are in proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

He's been an utter embarrassment for the country and virtually anyone would be a step up even Coveney who is beyond useless.

Hopefully some scandal about to break about him and he ends up in prison as he more than deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I wonder if Donohue would even want the top role, it's going to be a rocky road for the next 18 months or so for FG...

Advertisement