Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Leaked training being given to Scottish Police showing they're being given the training to target social media posts and to go after anyone, who produces material, including making fun of or misgendering trans people, making racial jokes or criticisms of certain religions, or criticizing migrants can, even likes or re-tweets, of material deemed "threatening and abusive," which can also be communicated through "public performance of a play" as n "giving, sending, showing, or playing the material to another person" such as "through online streaming, by email, playing a video."

This sounds about right. Is McEntee brave enough to implement this style here

At the same time they're rolling this out, they're refusing to investigate genuine crimes in Scotland. They've also explicitly said on the Police Scotland website that "white entitled males" are more likely to commit hate crimes. It's an anti-white law brought in by their anti-white first minister Humza Yousaf.. How could you forget his white tirade in the Scottish parliament. Imo white men are the "hate monsters" in the eyes of the state.

Sinéad Gibney former head of the IHREC has said before "A healthy democracy is one that represents the society that it serves," so her stating the below is of no surprise as Gibney is a well-polished NGO. Imagine voting for people who want to silence you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I want to preface this with the following should anyone wish to label me a far right etc etc

I have never in my life:

• been to a protest march
    • heckled a politician in public
    • heckled a politician online

I have been a supporter of one main party all of my life but having watched a video interview last night with a prominent Irish barrister regarding the hate laws the Irish Government are now trying to push through (without a referendum)....but they will prob delay it until after the next election to ensure they get elected.

I will never vote again in a National Election for that party or a member from any other party who votes for the hate crime laws.

Willy O'Dea has broke ranks and stated what needs to be done on twitter....I hope people now inform themselves....for if we lose this freedom of speech....

Irish 'democracy' will be dead......'with O'Leary in the grave.....' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

I, for one, support your sentiments. It was great to see two no votes in the recent referendums.

These politicians have to be made think again about their Orwellian hate speech law.

This is an even more critical issue than those referendum.

They must not be able to take our speech away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Threads merged, we don't need another thread on this topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

“One of the protected characteristics in the bill is ‘gender’ — and is defined in the legislation as ‘the gender of a person or the gender which a person expresses as the person’s preferred gender or with which the person identifies and includes transgender and a gender other than those of male and female’.

So in a group of people you must memorise what genders each one is at a given time?

Wow back in our schooldays we would have had a field day with this....change genders every 5 minutes and tdisrupt every class going.....and teachers wouldn't be able to say boo to us for fear of arrest....

And so just one example....you cannot see where all of this is heading???

Source https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hate-speech-bill-is-restrictive-and-undemocratic-warns-barrister-as-7000-people-sign-petition/a1608824054.html

Watch from 5 minutes....an Irish Barrister (who could prob make a fortune from court cases if the bill went through).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm4ITjSRE8M&t=508s

“The bill doesn’t define hatred, despite it being in the name of the bill,” says Ms O’Reilly. “Hate is a highly subjective term, and leaving such a broad concept undefined is irresponsible law-making.

A well reasoned response....and exactly how debate should be.

Anyone who disagrees with this law will be labelled as far right which is inaccurate and lazy minded thinking.

I suppose based on the referendums that were just rejected close to 70% of those who voted are now far right also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Michael Ring FG TD call's for his own party to abandon the hate speech legislation. That's quite something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Looking like this legislation could be on its death bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Let’s hope so!!

I was watching a chilling programme last night about the abduction, rape and murder of Sarah Everard by a serving Met officer.

There were 16 opportunities to stop him, from reports of indecent exposure onwards. No one did so, presumably citing lack of resources.

Given that recently a force in the UK sent SIX officers to interview an autistic girl who remarked a police offer “looks like my lesbian nana” - serious cases will suffer through officers investigating perceived slights and hurt feelings??

How much police time has India Willoughby wasted recently???

Paul Cunningham said on the news last night that it was looking like the hate speech bill was going to be severely watered down or else scrapped entirely. I haven't seen anything else mentioning this since- any other articles stating this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It's not that our state could not define Rape , it's that there are different definitions in other EU countries , some of whom , France for example , are updating their own laws to place 'consent' as opposed to just 'use of force ' as the legal definition.

So that is why they could not agree on it .

Read your own link .

'A prominent Irish barrister '..

And then you posted here .

Did you check if that barrister was biased towards one side of the debate ?

Did you check out any other prominent barristers on the other side of the debate for a bit of balance ?

If that's what you really do think then fine but own it.

No need to explain yourself to others.

This post is not that . It is a post publicising one side over the other . Just say that then .

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Great news. I don't think McEntee can survive in her portfolio after that nonsense.

She is obviously not... but you go with that as it's your right to call her that .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think the legislation is dead in the water, McEntee should go in a reshuffle and if that happens Fg may just survive the next 12 months in one piece and not be consigned to political irrelevance like Labour.

This is the most chilling attempt by our Government to impose draconian laws on free citizens in this country's history. I don't even recall the Bishops attempting anything like this (I could be corrected on that), I hope the people on this forum who vocally supported this try to reflect a little on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭techdiver

Unfortunately the people who support this bill, much like the people who supported the doomed referendums do so on ideological grounds and not on facts. Anything that forwards their agenda will be supported to the fullest as long as it progresses what "their truth" is, dammed the consequences. You also have many that freely admit to voting yes despite not fully understanding the question being asked and then accusing those who voted no to anything from not understanding it (halariously ironic), to being far right (70%+ of the population, really?).

As with the referendums the government have jumped the shark with this legislation and pushed its scope beyond what is reasonable. But that won't matter to those that support it.

If Harris makes a genuine attempt to actually re-align FG as a centre-right party and get rid of the braindead woke rubbish peddled by Varadkar and McEntee, then I think he will win back some votes. However, I don't believe for a moment he will make any real attempt to curb our insane open assylum seeker policy, and it is this issue that will sink FG in the upcoming electoral cycle. I still think there is a downplaying in government of how huge this issue will be to people when they vote in June and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What brainless woke rubbish?

I see this bandied about, but no one can explain it to me

I would consider the Hate Speech Bill as brainless, woke rubbish- i.e. a piece of legislation designed to appease the leftist screaming mobs of Twitter who want opinons that contradict or "offend" them silenced- a moronic piece of "feelings-based" nonsense.

Likewise the whole recent referendums were nothing more than costly woke trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The Hate speech bill is purely an updated version of current legislation. Legislation is updated regularly. I don't know how that could be seen as woke.

Likewise the recent referendums, people were calling for the removal of the women in the home article for decades, hardly woke!

It is false to claim the new law is merely an “update” of the previous legislation.

This bill now leaves any offense, harm, call it what you will in the view of the person “offended”.

And of course no one would possibly abuse this to silence critics or control the narrative….

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

In a few of those polls that were conducted on immigration where they were broken down by party support, you'd FG very positive on AS/immigration compared to FF or SF.

Most right or centre right voters have already abandoned FG. I'd say FF have a better chance of capturing that than FG recapturing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well one thing is certain anyway..

IF this legislation goes through, this particular forum will be closed or die overnight. They won't take the legal risks of letting people discuss and express opinions that could very easily (under this deliberately vague and therefore dangerous legislation) be deemed as "hateful".

Hurt feelz won't just result in some clicking the report button. It'll be threatening legal action, and given how quick some of the NGOs are to advise and support such things, this site and probably most like it just won't host the discussion in the first place.

I've said it before, but we in the West like to look down our noses and sneer at those countries and cultures we consider less "socially enlightened" than ourselves yet here we are on the verge of enacting laws that would make any autocratic State or dictator proud!

Anyone who wants to see how we would look under this law need only to look at the law in Scotland from 1 April.

Chilling how they have removed free speech. The usual suspects are salivating as debate on certain matters has now been criminalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Neale Richmond was on RTÉ Radio 1 this morning saying that the bill is “a very important and well-intentioned piece of legislation” and that the bill was “not just about legislation” but about “the practicalities of high visibility policing, of making sure we provide those supports for An Garda Síochána and making sure that absolutely a focus under the legislation." When asked to clarify if Fine Gael would consider conceding to requests from political opponents of the bill he said that the government would not be “deviating away from the program for government.”. They know we know what their “commitments” are and yet they still continue with it.

• Advertisement

One of my threads on X was officially censored under the Digital Services Act.

Advertisement