Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree, very competent, well educated and has Director Level experience of running a company (Proctor and Gamble).

For some reason he never gets the respect he deserves. Best candidate by a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'd say his property developer cronies are out putting up posters for him as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

It seems to have been a spur of the moment thing. You can understand why - the stress must be unreal and unrelenting (and multiply that comment by an order of magnitude for the US presidency).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Advertisement

Plus Tony Blair campaigning for Putin in 2000.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'll never understand the obsession some people have with the concept of Irish politicians angling for jobs in "the EU" when it so rarely actually happens. Not a single ex-Taoiseach has gone there.

He's relatively young, a qualified doctor and has been in a trying role for a reasonably long time over two stints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Leo's legacy of a broken society in housing alone.

Highest ever homelessness

Highest ever house prices

Highest ever rents

Highest ever evictions

Lowest home ownership in 50 years

But yeah he's done a great job according to FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

id have no problem voting for Paschal if he was in my electoral area. Alot needs to be done to rescue FG though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I got the feeling that Leo Varadkar had just run his course .... he had done all there was to do in Irish politics .... my guess is he will ride off into the European Parliament sunset direction ....

Leo's legacy was mixed ... his handling of the Brexit issue was good ... and he modernised Fine Gael to be more relevant in today's social world ... on the downside he was the guy who showed weakness on Covid 19 ... rather than holding his nerve and sticking with his South Korean style plan he succumbed to the lockdown merchants in late March 2020 and initiated a long and depressing year of on again off again long lockdowns ....

The vaccine and later Covid policy redeemed thing a bit ... but housing and related issues continued not to be solved .... he has basically thrown in the towel and has now decided these are for others to solve ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

You clearly have only recently come to understand politics if you've forgotten Haughey, Cowen and Costello.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Should be jailed by the fashion police for those awful skinny trousers at the very least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

FG needs to answer the question of 'who are we for?'. They've badly fudged that in the past.

I think they should be more categorical about calling themselves the party of Middle Income Ireland. People who make 40-80k p.a. - promise them that they will put their interests first and I think they would essily capture 25-30% of the vote.

No point pretending to be social democrats, they should pitch themselves more as christian democrats (in the German sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

I never read the whole thread. It's too big now but why is he resigning?

I wasn't a fan of him but he was diplomatic and said the right things most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm not too sad to see Leo go but whether pushed or resigned I could see it resulting in a bump in the polls for FG. We will probably have the same two parties in power after the next election. I would say Martin will stick around for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Haughey was a magnificent Taoiseach. His embryonic work around corporate tax and financial services laid the ground work for all of our economic success since.

His personal behaviour and conduct was a very different matter, but don't ever confuse the two.

Bertie Ahern remains our greatest Taoiseach for what he achieved across many fronts, in spite of personal failings.

To me, Varadkar sits in the middle of the pile of Taoisigh from best to worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If they even broadened that a little and became the make work pay party like they tried to, it would work even better.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I know that he is another one that never really gained universal appear, but when history looks at Enda Kenny, IMO he will be judged very kindly indeed. He inherited a flaming ball of ****, steadied the ship and then got it back on track, setting the foundations for the immense growth we've seen under his successors. He was also pretty much free of scandal.

Not perfect by any means, but I think one of the very few who can say they went out leaving the place in a better state than what they inherited and gave their successor something tangible to build upon.

He was significantly better than Varadkar (and all the rest of them in the past 30/40 years)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Leo to me always came across a little too rash, immature, childish as regards a state leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Not forgetting the most expensive hospital construction in the world ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Would be a difficult sell to spend the last 13 years being the party for landlords and developers only to now try and focus in on the vote of the demographic most affected by the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

There is so much bad he has created there isn't enough space on the forum to list it all. He's completely decimated mental health services for young people also. The worst leader this country has ever had and i've lived through both Bertie and Charlie.

Possibly but' free of scandal' isn't a great epithet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Good riddance.

Awful Taoiseach.

Never was and never will be a leader.

Running away is his form.

More interested in public image and sending messages to Kylie than actual substantive issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Good riddance! He was successful at running the country into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭LastApacheInjun

This is all fishy to me.

Whatever you think about Leo's politics, the one thing we can all agree upon is that ambition ran in that man's veins, along with a practically unshakeable belief in himself. Even when he was running for election back when Lucinda Creighton was his best mate, you could tell that he believed he was going only one way - straight to the Taoiseach's seat. So assuming burnout is not the real reason, let's take a wider view.

As others have said, there's only three reasons he might be stepping down: a) an EU job or private company job a la Nick Clegg, where he's guaranteed loads of dosh, b) leaving a sinking ship or c) a soon to break scandal. Now let's break these things down for a moment.

1. No way it's an EU job. If you think the Dail is a leaky ship, the EU is even more so. We would have heard something.
    2. A private loadsamoney job. I mean....maybe? But Leo always stuck me as a man who would take power over money any day of the week.
    3. Sinking ship: FG might lose a few seats at the next election, but it certainly doesn't look like it'd be the washout many were expecting after the last election. I think there's a good chance FG/FF will form another coalition at the next election. And if there was a sniff of possible victory and more chances to play Taoiseach, Leo would go for it.
    4. A scandal. Now, this would have to be a fairly hefty scandal to warrant immediate resignation. Nobody appears to give a sh*t that he's not monogamous. There could be fellas coming in and out of his house all weekend and no-one would give a cr*p. There would have to be something with a tinge of illegality. A Philip Schofield situation, or a pic of him lining up coke. Anything less than that and I think Leo would try and style it out. At worst, he'd announce he was stepping down at the next election.

However, if it's a dreadful scandal about to break, why wouldn't you try to get ahead of it at your resignation press conference? Why lie and say burnout, because when it does break it'll be perfectly obvious to everyone that you weren't telling the truth? Unless the only way to prevent it breaking is to resign, which means someone in another party, or in his own cabinet, are angling for his position.

None of it makes any sense, and blackmail seems a bit House of Cards to be real.

Really bizarre. Burnout, if it was any other politician, makes the most sense. It just doesn't sit with me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement