Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Have they? Your man suggesting in an email to get paid for holidays that he wasn’t entitled to but then saying “oh I didn’t mean it”, suggests they haven’t changed. They’re just being watched more closely is all.

He has been pathetic. Maybe he was using us to get a pay rise out of the English FA. We should have moved on ages ago on him. Poor from him and the FAI who should have ruled him out if he wasn’t honest enough to rule himself out. Poor stuff. At least we can move on from that bullet we dodged now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The problem with the aftermath of the Delaney era is that there was an obsession with whether Delaney would be arrested and very little interest in Irish footballs endemic problems beyond Delaney. The new fai have corporate governance and female and independent board directors coming out the ying yang but it’s of little benefit if the endemic problem wasn’t even discussed never mind confronted.

The endemic problem is too many mouths to feed, too little income to feed them. Until that is overcome and it probably never will, Irish football will be small time.

its not just football, Ireland and professional sport are uneasy bedfellows in everything but horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭jonnreeks

If a new manager is eventually appointed by the FAI, will he take any notes from these friendlies!

He might not consider many of O'Sheas squad, I guess some of the younger players will try to impress, while I reckon O'Shea is hoping to be part the coaching staff when a new manager is in place.

O'Shea is only a yes man I feel!

The IRFU seem to have got their act together.

I don’t know, regional soccer set ups in Ireland seem to be raking in money from the local clubs. They mightn’t be loaded but They’re not in debt or cap in hand to the government.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Carsley ruled out (again), timing interesting with Varadkar, looks like we could have our first openly gay international men's manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Ah yes back to the good ol days of being the only international team to have a sponsor logo slapped across our jerseys.

If John Fallon says one thing then automatically assume the opposite. The guy is a spoofer of the highest order. Dan Mc Donnell and Gavin Cooney also are probably the two guys worth listening to. Especially when it has come to the search of a new manager.

Not surprised really and don't blame him. Even if his chances of the England senior team are slim to none it's still better waiting to see what happens post Southgate than working with the FAI. Then again maybe Carsley has no interest in senior management. Has turned down senior jobs at club level before. Either way when you're being offered less money to do a similar job why the **** would you.

Also anyone upset that he has only now ruled himself out of the job needs to grow up. He owes no one any explanation and only now went public with it because the media has asked him questions before his team has games this weekend. He knew he wasn't taking it and so did his employers. The only people that matter in his situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

How has Carsley conducted himself poorly? Neither he nor his agent put out any statement alluding to taking up the role. Only seems to be the Press crafting these stories.

I don't think he needs to address every rumour put out about him.

• Advertisement

If he wasn’t interested he should have said so and the FAI should have officially ruled him out like they did with others. Why was it different for him? Why are you making excuses for him?

It’s poor manners from him and pathetic from the FAI. The people who need to grow up are the people I’m pointing the finger at. Poor stuff all around and pathetic that others can’t see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

Boll*x.

Wonder who it is so.

Anthony Barry?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Anything4883

well maybe he was interested, and hence thats why he met them? Maybe it took a while to evaluate what was best for him and his family. Maybe he already told the FAI , maybe the FAI should have come out with something ? Maybe a lot of things you dont know........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Yeah. How dare Carsley not turn down a job he wasn’t offered. The cheek of him.

Maybe but I doubt it.

From my understanding he turned the job down months ago and it was reported that he turned it down. So why didn’t he confirm that or actually more to the point why didn’t the FAI officially rule him out of the running like they did with others. Were they leaving the door open in case he changed his mind? This is a nobody in terms of senior football management, he has the sum total of zero senior management experience.

Now maybe like you say I could be wrong but if it’s the case they were leaving the door ajar for this nobody in terms of senior football management; that truly is utterly pathetic.

Maybe.

• Advertisement

Who did the FAI officially rule out publically? No one as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It could be just that they couldn't agree financial terms and there might have been hope on both sides that the other side might compromise.

There's no need for a meltdown.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

They ruled out loads of them. Have you not been following this saga?

Yes, closely. They ruled out no one, they ruled in no one. They basically haven’t commented on any individual during the entire proces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

The FAI said they had their manager but couldnt announce it until early April due to their current contractual obligations, it seemed dubious at the time. Time will tell I suppose

You clearly haven’t been following the saga at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've never seen someone blame an individual for turning down a job. The FAI should have walked away or made a better offer. Bizarre to criticize Carsley.

But I have…why won’t you offer a name that has been ruled in or out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

In fairness they have ruled out some like Lennon where they told him personally and he told the media but they haven't come out directly ruling anyone in or out

Ah come on, you’re having a laugh here. They clearly put it out there that managers like Coleman and Lennon were ruled out. If you’re going to come back to me with “there was nothing official from any official etc.” then I’m not going to bother with this anymore. Several candidates have been categorically ruled out. Carsley was also reportedly ruled out but then was ruled back in again. That shouldn’t have happened. If he turned them down months ago that should have been the end of it with him.

Your point was they have ruled out candidates so why didn’t they rule out carsley. But they didn’t rule anyone out publically. They have mentioned no individuals name in the entire process. So if they came out and said carsley is ruled out they would have been actually have been taking a different approach to him than every other name.

so the opposite of what your saying is in fact true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Jesus is this reaction because you think Lennon was shafted? Lee Carsley for any variety of reasons has decided he doesn't want the job right now, that's his decision. He doesnt owe you, me or anyone else a single thing. I'm sure tye English FA and the FAI have been aware of his decision for a long time so what exactly do you think is pathetic about this other than your reaction?

They haven’t mentioned a single name of any individual in the entire process yet apparently they should have ruled carsley out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

I wonder is it telling that this is the first moment that Carsely has ruled himself out. I wonder have negotiations broken down in the recent days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Or maybe its because its the first international window since and he has to deal with the media now

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Anything4883

Exactly - why should he comment before now. This is the International window, and perhaps he felt now was the appropriate time to address speculation etc. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Musicrules

These are the current odds:

Willy Sagnol - 9/4

Gus Poyet - 7/2

Anthony Barry - 15/2

John O'Shea - 8/1

Robbie Keane - 9/1

Lee Carsley - 9/1

Slaven Bilic - 14/1

Rafa Benitez - 16/1

Ok, lets look at candidates with taking it as fact that the FAI will announce the new manager in early April and can't before that because of "Existing contractual obligations".

I suggested Sagnol last September but his agent said there has been no contact and Georgia have the possibility of qualifying for the Euros. However, he signed a 2 year contract in February 2022 so that is up. Poyet has said he has not been contacted by the FAI and also Greece might qualify for the Euros, his contract is up after the playoffs though. Carsley has matches upcoming but has rules himself out or is he taking any distractions away from his current obligations? Everyone else on the list above is either already out of contract or under contract.

I've looked at a few others in the betting. Murat Yakin - With Switzerland for the Euros. Hervé Renard - Contracted with French women till August 2024. Klinsmann - Sacked by Korea in February. As far as I know, everyone else mentioned with the bookies are similarly either in contract for longer than the end of this month or already without a job.

Who else has a contract finishing soon? I can only think of other managers with upcoming playoffs. They are:

Wales - Rob Page, signed 4 year deal in 2022. Poland - Michal Probierz, contracted till 2026. Finland - Markku Kanerva, contracted till December 2024. Estonia - Thomas Häberli, not sure about contract. Bosnia - Savo Milošević, not sure. Ukraine - Serhiy Rebrov, until 2026. Israel - Alon Hazan, until 2026. Iceland - Åge Hareide, not sure. Luxembourg - Luc Holtz, until 2025. Kazakhstan - Magomed Adiyev, until November 2024.

I don't think it will be any of them. Has the new manager put his team in place? Meaning is John O'Shea going to be his assistant with everyone else already appointed staying as well? Is the contractual agreement something not involving football management? Can someone figure this out?

Listen I've nothing else to say about Carsley, we should have moved on from him ages ago. He has no senior level experience whatsoever. We have more about us than that. We have some decent players, not as good as in the past but decent players that any decent manager would fancy his chances at working with them and making a decent team that can compete to qualify for tournaments. I think Stephen Kenny and his fans have a lot to answer for that after he was done the players were demoralised and the fans left with low to zero expectations. It appears we were chasing this nobody in terms of senior football management for months and we're better than that. We need to make an appointment and move on from the loser mentality that has taken over the senior men's set up.

I disagree. In my view it is you and anyone that agrees with you that has a pathetic attitude. The chase after this guy with no experience at senior level is what I would regard as pathetic. I was willing to give Carsley a chance when it appeared he was first choice but always had major reservations about the fact that he had no senior level managerial experience. All things being equal and it was reported that the money on offer was similar I would question his judgement and ambition turning down a senior role to remain coaching underage. I think we've dodged a bullet and I'm delighted we're not getting him. Move on and make a serious appointment.

Post edited by TheCitizen on

Not expecting much from the U17s this month as they're up against Portugal, Germany, and Croatia for a spot in the euros. Match is being showed live on youtube https://youtu.be/kQgZCQX67Wc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

No idea who the new manager is gonna be at this stage. Thought it would be Carsley all along so I'm stumped now. Someone on YBIG said Poyet with O'Shea as assistant manager which sounds like the most plausible answer so far. It's like a game of guess who.

If it was Gus Poyet we would have heard about it already. Man loves the sound of his own voice and even with the playoffs this month he'd go public himself about being the next Ireland manager just to annoy the Greek FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I mentioned before that it seemed risky to agree a deal with one of Poyet or Sagnol if they have a chance of getting to the Euros. I can't see how a manager would work so hard to qualify a team for a championship and then walk away before the tournament to take over a team that is arguably at its lowest ebb. To me, a deal with either of them only makes sense if there's an agreement to take over after the Euros should their respective teams qualify. It doesn't strike me as ambitious if they'd skip that opportunity to take over a team that'll only be playing friendlies until September.

Out of those two, I would put more faith in Poyet but he strikes me as a volatile character.

A genius move would be that the FAI have an either/or deal in place. If Greece qualify (meaning Georgia don't), Sagnol takes over and vice-versa.

Carsley was the exciting one for me but I'm not terribly convinced by any of the rest. Bilic and Benitez haven't done much since Covid. Barry and Josh don't have any senior management experience and Keane could do with stepping up to a bigger league.

At least we've moved on from the Premier League old guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don’t know about Sagnol, but Poyet is out of contract at the end of the month. He wasn’t signing on a short term deal, and they weren’t offering a fitting long term deal, so they’re at an impasse.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they have someone already lined up who will take over from April onwards, regardless of whether that’s for the euros or for the nations league campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Poyet at 40/1, had already mentally written this off.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Wonder if the FAI have changed their minds regarding Anthony Hudson. Fits the international manager experience if that's actually true, though can't believe a word from Lennon's mouth so might not be true. Fits the April timeline as the Qatar league finishes in April and suits the role that the FAI want with the new coach as he's done that with Bahrain and NZ. Currently the technical director of Al-Markhiya.

But the Qatar league goes until the end of April, the FAI have said the announcement is early April. 80/1 if you fancy it though.

The Indian league ends in mid April. Possibly it's Owen Coyle?

😁

The Belgium regular season has ended I think. They have playoffs from here but Ronny Deila was sacked 2 days ago. 😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭roverjoyce

John O'Shea has impressed this week

Very good with the media, comes across well in interviews

All the players know who he is and have supported him playing for Ireland - Coleman and Jake O'Brien both said it in interviews

If Ireland were to play well in these 2 games I think the job is his(I know the FAI say differently)

And I think the fans would get behind him

Mark van Bommel is there but under contract, he has had international experience as an assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pathetic? He's said absolutely nothing up to this point and been nothing but professional

Have already said I’ve no interest in talking about him any longer. He’s a nobody in terms of senior football management and we’ve been talking about him way too much for way too long. Enough.

I’d prefer John O’Shea to get the job, he’ll have more senior level management experience than Carsley after this weekend. Seriously move on from this guy.

I’d prefer John O’Shea to get the job, he’ll have more senior level management experience than Carsley after this weekend.

No he won't.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement