Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Not a fan, but we'll done for having the courage to do it.

I'd be conserned about the amount of people who won't go in to politics at the moment abuse on social media is only one aspect but it is a large consideration for those who want to go in to politics, let alone the scrutiny on their family and safety conserns.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Me too. The fact is, Ireland is a far worse off place than it was when Varadkar became Taoiseach, and a far more unsafe one now with all of this senseless immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How the hell is the country run into the ground. Full employment, good economy etc. We're richer than ever.

People have very short memories. Yes housing is a problem and it needs be resolved.

Health has been a problem for over 40 years that just can't get resolved. Immigration is not the issue that people online would have you think it is.

I grew up in the 80s with mass emigration, 20% unemployment. No prospects., Complete dominance by the church. No contraception, no abortion, homosexuality was illegal, teenage pregnancies everywhere despite efforts to stop people having sex, road deaths were about 450 a year, everybody drank and drove everywhere, more corruption, no motorways. I could go on forever.

It's much better now believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Maybe if they did a better job of running our country they wouldn’t get the abuse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Fair point.

Social media is an absolute bane on society. Maybe even the death of democracy. It's already kicked journalism and rational thought in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not another red cent Leo said...and then pumped billions more into the banks like Anglo.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Quote his party elected him leader of FG and not the people of Ireland elected him leader, he was only sharing a role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Catherine Connollys words have to hurt.

Unjust and unfair, out of touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh hello there blanch, 5 minutes not bad time.

First off Leo was never competent.

I can't think of anyone actually semi competent bar maybe Pascal in the current fine gael front bench.

Leo the sh** did nothing in Health, squandered billions as leader of the country, and the effects of his term in office are being felt in communities up and down the country.

And worse still the negative effects will be felt for decades.

Of course maybe you see competency as coming across great on twitter.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tell that to the homeless and to those on hospital trollies . Tell that to carers and to those crying out for respite for their special needs children

tell it to young people stuck at home who cant afford to rent or buy

tell it to kids with scoliosis who cry in pain while waiting for surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree, not the best choice of words. Time is up on this lot though and while the epitaphs may be couched in politer language they'll be to much the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Both sets of comments can be true at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They are not abused because of the job they are doing.

They are getting abused by three types of people who have unparalleled new access to abuse and threaten via social media:

1. Those who just disagree with their policies

2. Those who have achieved nothing in their own lives and have an axe to grind.

3. Nutters

It's the latter two of these who are the most visceral, some genuinely dangerous, and it's why more people won't go near politics. Why would they put themselves or their families through that?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

It certainly is a better country for the people who grew up in the 80s as they all own their own home, whack of “I’m alright, Jack” off of this post.

Not so good for the 20 somethings, I can guarantee you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A lot of the abuse online had nothing to do with politics

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Yea, the country full of migrants here on spurious reasons, making our communities more unsafe than they ever were- things are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Simon Harris is 1/5 with paddy power to take over. Next in the betting is 7-1. In other words it’s practically a foregone conclusion. Simon Harris is meek and not very bright. During Covid whilst he was health minister he stated on the radio that we have to remember that there was 18 Covid’s before and we never got a vaccine for them. I mean come on.

Is that really the best FG have to offer? An absolutely thicko with the demeanour of a granny. Surely Coveney would be a better choice from a FG perspective

• Advertisement

Health being a problem and allowed be a problem just because it's the way it's always been is a ridiculous thing to excuse.

Children with scoliosis in wonderful modern day Ireland forced to wait and wait and wait 5 years + in agony for treatment. But it OK because its been the way it's been for 40 years.

I hope it doesn't happen your own child or anyone you know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Phil Hogan was never going to be Taoiseach.

Again, commissioners are A) government appointees and B) are going to be experienced politicians. I have no idea what you think this is proving

Anyone who suggest Varadkar is probably off to an EU job is basing it off absolutely nothing and it barely makes the slightest bit of sense. It is predominantly used as a conspiratorial bogeyman to suggest Irish politicians are acting in the best interests of EU institutions rather than Ireland in order to curry favour to get EU jobs. It's ridiculously stupid.

Agree - a huge problem. There is alot of external actors interfering in our domestic politics. This is happening in all countries and needs to be addressed.

Musk can send rockets to space and cannot deal with bots on his platform. It's ridiculous. Time to get some real regulation in place and start dishing out mammoth penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Varadkar brought the Gardaí to within 24 hours of a strike, left them decimated with morale at an all-time low, had garda cars with woke LGBTQ colours on them, ignored nurses on a measly pay rise, told freezing cold pensioners he "wasn't going to sign a blank cheque", stated "stick with us" to vulture funds who bought up entire housing estates and ripped off the Irish people, left the education service short of thousands of teachers, brought back emigration to 1980s levels for Irish people and invited in the world with nowhere to put them, spent €2 billion+ on one hospital as he maintained a recruitment freeze in the HSE, ran pointless referenda to try and remove mothers from the constitution, boasted of the many in his family he can now afford to take care of, led FG to their worst election result since 1948 (in terms of FPV) in 2020.....

An absolute utter disaster and useless politician/person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I was just wondering yesterday how it is that a small island country with 5 million people (yes i know theres also 2 million in the north) can have an annual budget of €90billion and somehow manage to make the basic public services: health, housing, policing, planning, the military, public transport, waste water management, border management (with only a handful of ports of entry) all utterly useless, inaccessible, unusable or unsafe to use? And that's not a criticism of this government in particular, it seems that its always been that way, indeed this government has at least taken corrective action on some items helped by having more money but generally it remains true that we do not have public services worth mentioning, how can that be? Surely there needs to be systemic change regardless of what party rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

For me Leo just oozed insincerity from day one, always more focused on Woke bullshit instead of the real and very serious problems facing the country.

And as a result what does he leave behind? worst ever housing crisis, people can't afford houses, can't afford to rent either, immigration crisis, Public health crisis, scandals...I mean he may not be the worst Taoiseach ever, but he's been abysmal for Ireland and now skips into the sunset with us in a terrible position facing all these mounting problems.

And he does it all with a constant,, sickening arrogance and smug grin plastered across his face, a totally and utterly self serving man who doesn't give two **** about anyone or anything other that Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's how the system works. Every TD is potentially a Taoiseach, the people should vote for their preferred politician on that basis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I didn't say the country was perfect or without problems.

The groups you mentioned need attention but there's no way that the country is in worse shape then 20 years ago or certainly 40 years ago.

Also, in relation to homelessness, an awful of these people are people with issues such as addiction or other social issues that are not going to be reslved a by a government or a taoiiseach.

Ireland is not the only country with a housing crisis.

Advertisement