Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Good politician but perhaps more swayed by larger finance jobs outside of Ireland.

He is in the race but I'd say a distance behind Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Chirst i hope its not Harris, more charisma in a wet noodle

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

You forgot to call him a "xenophobe"- I know that's your typical go-to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Have only read the last page and while I obviously expected Leo to be mostly slated for his time in office, I never expected to read posts eulogising CJH and Bertie - two absolute f*cking crooks, the very embodiment of cronyism and their legacy is that they made it acceptable in many quarters to be in office purely for your own personal gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

True, but he's a strong man, and Ireland needs one right now. He'll get the nation in order in no time.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I raised my family in the 80’s . I lived it

We saw a doctor when we were sick , kids got spinal surgery when they needed it . Our grandparents were not left on a hospital trolly for 24 hours on a cold corridor . People didnt have much but they had school places and homes and didn’t wait 5 years for surgery on painful hips

This country is ä shameful shitshow at the moment if a child is left crying because she is in pain waiting for surgery . And if one eldery person is freezing cold on a hospital trolly

Nothing excuses ä Government that lets that happen . Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jaysus. Simon Harris?

The next 12 months can't go fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

It will feel like the same arguments, contracts must be honoured even if it means reducing social services.

They've absolutely shafted whole generations for locked rental goodies, and they'll be happy for security of tenure to remain unattainable for people in essential services.

Rent pressure zone limits are being ignored now as it's no secret the government is coasting to the end, a horse without a jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭HBC08

It would be great craic to be a political strategist in all this,this would be my thinking.

FG leadership goes to somebody useless and basically a hospital pass,Simon Harris or best of all Helen McEntee.They are the face of the reckoning that's coming for FG at the polls.

Let SF have their day in the sun.It won't be long before it's evident there are chancers,haven't the experience or intelligence to run a country and are not serious people.

Maybe they don't even go a full term in government when everybody sees what a sh1tshow they make of things.

Meanwhile FG get serious about things that really matter to people like immigration, housing and health.They become a centre right party that represents working people and their concerns,they drop the ultra woke nonsense and with that McEntee (and a few others are gone)

They put in a serious person like Pashal or a new up and comer with no ties to the present lot.They romp home in an election in about 5 years after SF have got obliterated having made the inevitable mess we are all hurtling towards.

Ireland and its electorate have copped on to what's actually important in their day to day lives and demand it from whatever party is in power.Otherwise they get kicked out on their @arse like FG in 24/25 and SF in 29/30.

We are a proper well run country by the end of the decade focusing on FDI,IT,tourism,a drive to build housing,a health system that works,a sensible immigration policy that most people can get behind,the working man or woman having a decent standard of living in a reasonably wealthy little European country.

I would take this outcome for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

FG could well fall apart if they pick Harris.

They will be annihilated at the locals if they elect him. That sais, suffering him for a few months may well be a price worth paying if it finishes his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Simon Harris has been in a minor ministry for a while now. He was hugely ineffective in Health. How does he expect to be a credible candidate?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok AGS in unmitigated mess where there is now such an internal disconnect that Inspectors and Sergeants association refused invite to commissioner.

Time spent on an unnecessary and anti democratic hate speech act where minister can't even define what hate speech is.

Time wasted on referendum where minister can't define what a durable relationship is and what effects there would be to legal constructs such as inheritance.

Failure to protect our borders and our people by not implementing processes to prevent entry into the country of people of unknown origin.

All you have to do is watch her when asked actual legitimate questions to see how out of her depth she is.

What makes this even more galling is they preferred her over a prominent experience legal counsel Jim O'Callaghan.

He must be the most pi**ed off politician in Dail Eireann.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

how is simon harris above donohoe or coveney? Makes no sense to me anyway............simpering wet blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Many people are blaming Ireland's issues on foreigners being here and that is 100% xenophobia. Sorry to break it to you.

FG could begin to develop a stronger policy on housing, immigration and health before the next election.

There is time, especially with a new leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Jesus I don’t know- the Harris fella seems like a bit of a Teflon don if ya ask me.

Id say hed be fond of the populist politics whereas paschal will at least tell it like it is to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Christ almighty I hope McEntee doesn’t get anywhere near this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Yeah but they didn't have Instagram and Avacado toast when they needed it so...

I actually despair for this nation if people think it's in good order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

They'll pick McEntee because she's a woman. . . . They're desperate and the situation is obviously bad after the leader has jumped ship. So their best bet is put a woman in charge, the first female taoiseach, and then appeal to Mna na hEireann to keep them in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Could ya blame him for retiring when even your personal life is subject to ridicule like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I can say why Donohoe is the favourite, good speaker in my experience, done decent in other roles, also pretty much scandal free the only vague thing I can remember was to do with those posters but it was incredibly minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh FFS did I say All Schools, All GPs.

But a sizable number are affected, that is the point.

All A&Es are affected at this stage to some extent.

You seem to think because some things have improved over the last 30 years then isn't it great.

My point is over the last 5 to 7 years things have actually gone backwards in lots of areas.

And this is at a time when we have the money to try and fix things.

Instead the money is p**sed away on mismanaged projects, on trying to accommodate people that have no right to be in the state in the first place all to try and look good to others.

The government set the tone, the government can push the direction of an economy with investment/taxes, the government can affect society for good or bad with their decisions.

Yes things like war in Ukraine and the economic fallout is outside our governments control, but investment in public housing, curtailment of foreign investment funds, management of our borders is within our governments control last time I checked.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I grew up in that era and no doubt health care was better then. There was more beds and hospitals but things changed when successive governments closed units and hospitals and then couldn't cope when populations started to increase.

Either way there's no way I'll accept that the country was in a better shape then that it is now. It's better socially economically, personally liberty, human rights , education levels, infrastructure all improved.

Coming up with emotive anecdotes of "child left crying because she is in pain" is just anecdotal and does not prove anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Yep. Lockdowns cheered on by all parties. Bunch of jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

FG will actually become the party of the far right, chiming with their fascist roots.

They'll use racism to pit the young Irish they shafted against poor immigrants doing **** jobs no Irish parent would accept for their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The 1980s were bad. However I think the 2020s are worse for the majority but many are doing very well, thank you very much.

The country is in an absolute state through complete mismanagement.

• Advertisement

Well then put heather humphries in charge- she’d inspire a lot more confidence than McEntee and she might even get some work done.

Advertisement