Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah the statement he gave left more questions than answers….he’s been a TD for 17 years give or take….

of course maybe feck all will hit the fan but it’s all been handled a bit clumsily….both by him and the party. Left more questions than it answered…

FG opinion polls in the last 12 months were at an all time low.. he and his party lost the trust of Irish citizens. Unsurprisingly. I’ve never been an FG guy but I’ll go a lifetime and not give them any preference on a ballot paper….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

it all has a stink of bertie leaving off it - serious problems for the country ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nachouser

Boards: "We need more GP's, it's a disgrace."

*The government puts in place some financial incentives to entice more medical professionals into the country to become GP's*

Also Boards: "It's a fookin' disgrace, all these foreign GP's bleeding the country dry."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Absolutely no loss AFAIC, but I do wonder why he jumped at the present time. Not only resigning from the top job, but also FG and politics in general?

Something's definitely amiss and I reckon there might more announcements re: Varadkar in the near future.

Whole thing stinks of jump before I'm pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Agree there is zero scandal. Mixture of reasons, one he is unpopular amongst FG councillors and the like, politics is ruthless, if there is a sense you won’t help win their seats you are gone, he was probably self aware enough to realise this before the next elections in June. Poor polls and the referendum results are the manifestation of this. Also politics is a toxic world for all parties, see all the spiteful comments and people who anonymously have a go behind a keyboard. If it is his turn today, it is someone else’s tomorrow….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The Ditch is the work of 3 angry middle-aged malcontents funded by Poshboy Cosgrave because he feels we aren’t worshipping him as a tech demigod. It was founded by a Russian agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

There's no conspiracy. Leo V knew the game was up following the referendum defeats. I'd say he just had enough also. He's had a good run at it - 13 years in government is long enough. Micheal Martin should take a hint and do the same or FF should do it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Economics101

I know her name is Mary Lou. I somehow can't imagine he same interviewer starting an interview with Danny Healy Rae by calliny him Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Perhaps we need to look at the driver for all the extra demand 😬

Perhaps we can increase the number of people here studying medicine… 😉

this was nowhere enough… https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/4db4d-extra-60-medicine-places-in-irish-medical-schools-over-the-next-five-years-announced-by-ministers-harris-and-donnelly/

• Advertisement

What party is this Mr. Rod in? Or is he an independent?

Either way, sounds pretty good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Let's celebrate, this is a great day for Ireland. The cowardly rat has jumped from a sinking ship. He and his government were/are so out of touch with the ordinary working people that it took a big kick up the rear end in the form of a referendum for them to realise what the rest of us thought of them and their policies .............or lack thereof.

The excuse for a minister for Justice should do the decent thing now and follow her leader, she's way out of her dept and must be the most incompetent minister ever to be a member of the cabinet. The fact that she is a woman has nothing whatsoever to do with it but whenever she's called out she plays the sexist card to cover up her own inadequacies.

Simon Coveney is an astute politician, he knows that the leadership of FG is, right now, a poison chalice and that FG will probably have numerous leaders over the coming years before they will be in a position (seat wise) to be even considered as coalition partners in government.

After the next general election the Dáil will be speckled with a myriad of small parties and independents - many of them new faces. The formation of the next government will be a very colourful rainbow indeed................but a week is a long time in politics.

Micheál Martin may rue the day he dragged his party into government with the 'auld enemy' so that he would be Taoiseach for a short period and thus have his place in history and of course to ensure that Sinn Fein would be confined to the opposition benches.

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No chance of Martin going anywhere now.

FF would have to be pretty stupid to give him the shove. He's polling very well (most popular leader in the State).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thats the first thing I thought aswell.

Why suddenly out of the blue did he announce this?

And why cite personal reasons? None of other leaders seemed to have a clue about it.

Something not adding up here.

I’m a more astute political animal than most around here and I predict that FG will do far better in the general election than what is being spouted around here. They might get a bit of a kicking in the Europeans, and we will end up with absolute disgraces like Wallace, Ming Flanagan and Daly representing us. But come election time the silent majority won’t want to rock the boat and elect every sort of PBP loser and right-wing oddball who lives with his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

ya know self praise is no praise. I don’t think they will do as well as you think. I think it will be a bit of everything but can see FF/ FG struggling to form a government. Only thing i’m sure of is Green party will be decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

FG are still likley to form the next govt with FF.

FF, and especially MM, seem to have a genuine distaste for SF & are very unlikley to form a govt with Mary Lou.

Without FF, SF can't get into govt.

FFG service resumes...

Yourself and bobson fella are quite sure of that. Shure this morning Leo was still going to lead them into the next election. I wouldn’t bet just yet that it’s FF/FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I'd say he knows FG are going to be decimated in the upcoming elections and next year's GE and doesn't want his name associated. Bit of a Bertie Ahern bailing when going for tough. First few months I thought Leo was doing well and was going to be a decent Taoiseach. In time it became clear that he was deeply unlikeable, a mé feiner and totally detached to the rest of the electorate. I think Coveney would be the best for the job at present and surprised he's out of the running. Really should be a GE really

Ummm...no.

That accolade has to go to Haughey. An absolute gangster who while telling the "ordinary" folk to tighten their belts was having a whale of a time on public money himself. A right PoS if ever there was one.

Varadkar was, though, pretty useless and, alongside Kenny, has presided over a government that has fucked the country back into a pre 2008 housing crisis, alongside other desperate situations. But Charlie takes the top spot in that particular race of who's worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Name 5 reputable political animals they currently have in their ranks? I count maybe 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Great news for the parish , he was so out of touch with Irish people that he represented the views of only a tiny cohort of the population

He was responsible for many many changes in Ireland very few of which were positive and many which did irreparable damage to the country

Hopefully his uncomfortably close political ally helen will follow him out the door soon as possible as he was the only reason she survived so long to do her quota of damage . could topple drew to as he is similarly out of touch but im probably hoping for too much

leo is of the breed of leader who believe that the people are there to be bent to his will not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is someone seriously ill? family, himself, partner? he got a bit emotional near the end of the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What are the superior options with the other parties?

Heather Humphreys

Simon Coveney

Paschal Donohue

Alan Dillon

Jennifer Carroll MacNeill

They’ve far more talent and intelligence in their ranks than the other parties. Not even close tbh.

Only two fit the bill there.

Donohue

Humpreys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

Jump before a heave I reckon.

Coveney was more popular with the membership, Varadkar with the Senators and TDs.

I won't be surprised if the feedback from the grassroots was Leo was now too toxic and was more a liability for the foot soldiers to defend. I don't think there's any new revelations behind his exit.

It would be ironic if Fianna Fail ended up cannabalising FG after years of it looking like FF would dissolve in different directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭scottser

Good riddance to a lightweight, lazy prick. All he did was judge others from a position of privilege. A hateful, hypocritical cnt of the highest stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭enricoh

I thought haughey rigged up the ifsc and dropped corporation tax? If so I can tolerate the bribes for fancy shirts n women.

Leo has absolutely squandered the corporation tax on feel-good crap n was worse than useless for the average working Joe.

Advertisement