Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Is that a college drop out list or an ar**holes list ?

Sorry I couldn't resist but it reads like a list of some of the worlds greatest a***holes.

BTW for every Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, Dell, Branson there are millions upon millions of failures.

Something else that isn't often mentioned when these guys are referenced is that most if not all came from kinda privileged backgrounds which already gave them a head start on the ordinary Joe soap.

And there is huge degree of luck often involved in these people's success.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A bit odd that Simon Harris will be the next Taoiseach.

He's very amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭Shoog

The cute whore attitude to beaurocracy and law would belie that notion. We elect representatives who we think will look after our little corner of the country - that is where the rot starts at the parish pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Harris will just be the fall guy for the coming election annihilation of FG. Looks like he's stupid enough to take it. Paschal and Coveney are too cute and see it coming a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I have definitely noticed recently an increase in criticism of Leo where they referred to him as the gay, Indian on social media. It comes across as homophobia and racism. They word it in such a way that they think they can deny it, but there is no need at all to ever bring a person’s sexuality or heritage into the conversation. Give out about their actions and the policies

Politicians should never ever be above criticism but we don’t need to get personal about it. We want our politicians to do the best for our country. You would be crazy to go for election now. Even at local level councillors are getting verbally attacked.

Personally I thought Leo was a very promising politician and FG took on a huge mess after FF has the IMF in to us. The last two years I thought he wasn’t at his best. Maybe three coalition partners is too many as everyone wants their own agenda and you can’t openly criticise your partner like you can the opposition.

Things like housing are a common problem in rest of developed world so I don’t think there is a quick fix but mistakes were made in the past that made our problems worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

The count anyone gets elected on is totally meaningless. Simon Harris got elected on the 15th count, but that doesn't tell you that he got the second highest amount of first preference votes, and that FG ran two other candidates. John Brady, the SF candidate topped the poll, and got elected with 6k votes over the quota, he was also the only SF candidate. So, by looking at those figures you would think SF were the most popular party in that constituency, but there actually were not, as FG between their three candidates ended up with around 1200 more first preference votes.

When a party runs multiple candidates in a constituency, its all about vote management and transfers. The goal is to get as many of the candidates elected, regardless of what count they get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Still pales in comparison to what the world’s most powerful democracy installed in 2016, I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If you can access this article behind the paywall it’s not a bad analysis of how Leo came to this decision - at least from a political point of view - but it does also highlight the personal toll the office of Taoiseach brings - essentially Leo reached the high office- nowhere else to go and he was getting frustrated around what he deemed was unfair reporting of the press amongst other challenges such as by-elections and the failed referendum - might keep the conspiracy theorists quiet for a while

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/cracks-started-to-show-for-leo-varadkar-on-us-visit-but-could-a-place-on-the-world-stage-now-beckon/a1806661534.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ah right , a broad range of successful people from a broad range of professions and they're all arseholes?

The point is they're all very successful in their chosen fields due to certain attributes they have that drives them on and you have to say Harris the same as he's gone on to have a very successful political career so you can just forget about the college dropout part. It's irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sunjava

I'd join a protest against Harris...Its unfathomable...I've never protested anything in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Leo, imo he was an OK Taoiseach I don't understand the pile on by some people. I think he handled Covid well in Feb 2020, the PUP was a great idea and people seemed to agree as FG were the most popular party in Ireland in the summer of 2020 according the polls. My pay slip looks a bit healthier now, im paying less income tax. Primary school kids getting free books. He (and Simon Coveney) did a good job around Brexit. Of course housing and hospital waiting lists will be the main negative points. Also the cost overrun with the children's hospital. Leaking the documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,129 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bit naïve on his part.

If FG get savaged in the next 2 elections the FG base will want him out.

Coveney whatever he said yesterday does want to be leader at some point IMHO and will take the reigns in opposition where he will be more effective that the rest of the "talent" in his party.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Leo was protected by his sexuality more often than not, his recent nightclub exploits were completely unreported by the media

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd say his supporters are in a minority, and I'd wager are mainly affluent "progressive" urbanites like himself.

Seemingly little to no awareness of rural Ireland, almost dismissive of anyone or anything that sat outside of his echo chamber. Blissfully ignorant of homeless and rough sleepers.

Style, in a cold, snooty sort of manner, over substance. Little in the way of charisma, no common touch, other than a few cringy popular culture references slipped into his speeches.

I got the feeling that once covid started the duties under his remit just moved to Leo.

It looked like Harris just did what he was told. He got demoted in the next cabinet with a made up ministry. I seem to remember he was on the verge of being dumped from the cabinet.

It seems more and more bizarre that Fine Gael want him as their leader.

And bizarre for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Which is good. Makes Irish media different from other countries. His private life should be kept private as long as it doesn't impact on him doing his job or is something illegal which it isn't in either case.

• Advertisement

It looks like it will be a coronation and Leo could be gone even sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

fianna fail making themselves look some shower of clowns here also, going to support harris as Taoiseach the same harris they voted no confidence in 202 0 and practically causing an election. laughable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I hope you aren't basing your maths on the same polling companies that did the opinion polls for the recent referendums.

The Irish media have no trouble discussing stormy Daniels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

The government has already brainwashed the population into accepting that renting at exorbitant rates for life as 'a new normal'.

That project began in the late 90's with the Celtic Tiger, when a house ceased to be viewed as a home and was redefined, quite successfully, in the public’s mind as an 'asset' instead. One to be flipped, used as collateral and a source of income rather than the place you grew up or raise you kids. We fully embraced this ethos and decided we could all be property moguls and buy apartments in Bulgaria and Dubai to build that portfolio.

Well, we know how that worked out, but the con that your home is an asset to be exploited and realised still exists.

Also, the government is still refusing to acknowledge that there is a link between mass immigration and the crisis in available property.

A sane nation experiencing the current crunch in that market we are experiencing, would ban foreign investment in property by anybody that is not an EU citizen. They would refuse foreign nationals social housing and start deporting malingerers to free up housing stock. But since they can't seem to remove a couple of tents on Mount St. without buckling to NGO screeching, and instead seem to be opting for the kind of permissive policy on 'urban camping' that will make the city centre look like San Francisco's Tenderloin district... there's feck all chance of a sensible solution coming from the clown show currently in charge. Certainly not if Harris is at the wheel. I can't stress how important it is that man loose his seat at the next election if he’s elected leader of FG. That would be feckin’ hilarious to see.

Those refusing to be part of any solution need to be shown the door, especially Harris and McEntee. It really shows how dangerously out of touch FG are that they would even consider either of these hacks as suitable candidates for the top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I believe he is constantly doing the rounds in his constituency. Took a leaf out of Michael Ring's book and apparently would attend the opening of a can of fanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

And of late a huge amount to councils using peoples taxes to buy houses they can't afford. Leo didn't get this creates huge anger among middle Ireland. Not sure Harris gets it either. FG needs to get back to basics and move along the underperforming minister's.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

He's done an excellent job in his current ministry. Introducing the internship/apprenticeship programme is one of the best things to happen in education if many years. We have far too many kids going to college to get degrees they don't use. At least with this programme they are gaining relevant experience, being prepared for the jobs market and earning while they do it. I think he'll bring a new energy. I just hope he and his family aren't targeted with the 'hate' on social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

And I think you can repeat that for whoever will get the next leadership position - FG are very urban focused right now and also don’t come across as particularly caring about the homeless or housing crisis - then again I couldn’t see SF doing any better either so it’s not something limited to this party

Advertisement