Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You honestly think that if that was say, Micheal Martin out in a nite club and chatting up and getting intimate with random women, the media would have been so quiet? The double standards are so obvious.

and people in very responsible positions should always have higher standards in public office. They are not Joe Public, and the public don’t want them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not involving an Irish politician and she has come out in public about the whole case. Everything around Trump is a circus anyhow and he's the main clown so it's not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Haughey was having an affair for years with Terri Keane for years and it was never in the media until she herself outed it.

I don't want to our politics to turn into media frenzy about private lives, simple. I don't care about their private lives.

Haughey lived in a completely different era. The general public relied on media to tell. General public had no clue. Far easier years ago to hide indiscretions.

This era completely different. The reason why the Irish media and others never discussed it or dared give any negative analysis was based off a fear of the homophobia label.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

This thread the other day called it:

My read on it is that the referendums were such an embarrassment, it caused untold in-fighting within Fine Gael (which of course, we did not see)

And now we are getting the fallout with Leo and co. taking the angle that it is the "MEANY BEANY FO FEENEY" electorate that are forcing them to leave politics!

And of course, their rampant incompetence and utter failure in power has nothing to do with it... 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

well the alternative is to collapse the gov, and call for an election. No party wants that, no matter how much they say they do, considering the Local/European elections are happening in June. You might see an election in November, but probably in Feb 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Yeah why anyone would spend 500k on a new house, cripple themselves with mortgage payments and the lad next door is living there for 100 quid a month for 20 years. The middle class are the **** idiots now and Fianna Gael forgot where there bread was buttered. The problem is FF and SF are as bad. Leo was going to support the person who had to get up early in the morning .....lmao.

We don't seem to have much choice in the matter as to whether Harris or someone else moves their bum into the seat for a few months.

Fianna Fáil do have a choice though, they could just about credibly walk out at the moment and pull the rug on this shambles. If they have the smarts, they'll do it. Quick election before rivals have a chance to scramble compelling candidates and campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I've always called him Slimey Harris for this reason. When it comes to politics, he is a very effective snake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Why would FF move themselves out of government? why would the Green party either for that matter?

The rivals will b just as useless in 12 months as they are now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Nope, that would be comparing apples and pears.

Most people didnt give a fook about the Referendum & many didnt understand it, so I wouldnt compare the results of that episode to anything.

Election polls are generally pretty accurate, but even accounting for large margin for error, there is no single party capable of a majority, so FF remain the kingmaker in all circumstances.

Therefore, FFG govt is by far the most likley scenario.

Nothing has changed on that front for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I really do not understand Simon Harris being heavy favourite to take over. It’s the most mystifying thing I have ever seen in Irish politics. He’s meek, a bit thick(covid vaccine statement regarding “18 previous covids we never developed a vaccine for) , uninspiring . I just do not get it. I’m not saying he’s a bad person or anything like that I just do not get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Same thing with political sex scandals in the UK, Irish media happy to cover it

Why? Because FF are arguably a party with the most credibility at the moment, not without baggage but would look a safer bet to middle Ireland. I should make it clear that I've never voted FF yet, but the advantages are there to be taken by them. Look at the current state of their main opponents.

• FG in disarray and there too long for most of electorate
    • Greens - series of unpopular policies and things foisted on the public.
    • SF - in the doldrums compared to a while back
    • Independents - the real threat IMHO, but who would need a bit of time to declare and get their campaigns up.

Carpe diem opportunity for FF and Micheál M to seize back a lot of seats, unlikely to get an overall majority but could have a healthy main party position.

If FF leave it till autumn or next year, they'll be dragged down as well. They should have a bit of bottle and go for the jugular now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

He certainly isnt thick.

I would say only him, Pascal and Coveney have the capability to be leader and the other two have pulled out.

So its a no brainer that Harris will lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Makes no sense to me either. About the only good thing you can say about him is he's not Helen McEntee (who has ruled herself out - in my view because she didn't get the support).

My lasting impression of him was the first time I saw him speaking in front of a camera.. Wholly uninspiring, waffling, and in a suit that looked about 2 sizes too big for him.

I don't really care who FG elect as party leader but the thought of having this lad out fronting the country as Taoiseach and representing us abroad is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fgordonie

Fine Gael member here.

Never understood why Coveney didn't get leader and Taoiseach to be honest.

There are limits to media friendly gesture politics as people live in the real world of no homes and I suspect sooner than most people think, no jobs. Do press officers run the country or elected TD's?

Hubris also played a part brought on I suspect, with the increased powers enjoyed during lockdown.

On immigration, about a million Irish residents were not born here, yet the country is turned into a cesspit of racism by the chronic mishandling of the issue over last few years. Make promises you can't keep and estrange your electorate or worse blame them.

As for the runners for the vacated position,

• Harris, not the person that imprisioned me in my own home for 2 years, no way
    • Donoghue, very competent with the numbers but as leader?
    • The current minister for justice, not after the riots.

Who does a conservative (both economically and socially), christian democratic, tax paying small business owner vote for?

• The monster raving populists?
    • SF, with the historical baggage?
    • The traditional left, Lab/SD?
    • FF, they still get votes after everything???

There is nothing more annoying than getting an electricity bill that is negative and realising my own taxes paid for that and is paying the same for many, many others. Again and again the current government tell us how they are spending our money, one for everyone in the audience, maybe I'd like to keep more of it and decide where to spend it.

The future for the party, I hope for a return to more traditional FG policies and politics, the politics of the country needs a center-right party otherwise who-knows-what fills that gap. The lessons from the UK and the US are very stark, I don't want to go there.

I imagine the party is in for a kicking at the next election, made even worst by the large numbers of TD not standing again, possibly they are unhappy with the direction of the party and I suspect were not listened to by the leadership of the party OR they understand the scale of the failure to deliver for the country and realise there is no hope of re-election.

As for Ireland itself, we are in for some choppy weather economically I suspect but in the long run things are getting better, for all its flaws its still the place I call home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Time is SF enemy, better to leave them make a bigger and bigger mess for another 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You are not the only one. I keep thinking am I missing something?

• Advertisement

Harris seems like a real decent bloke, but leader? Just not seeing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

He's the quintessential example of 'failing upwards', a bit like Leo himself. To say that there seems to be a competency crisis at leadership levels, not just in Irish politics, but pretty much all over the world right now, is a bit of an understatement. And that lack of any leadership with an ounce of backbone or a brain is pretty worrying....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭HBC08

Naive,gullible,lack of understanding of the realities.

Perfect prey for SF.

And that is why FF, if they have any sense from a strategy pov, should put the boot in politely now. Argue they never agreed this new arrangement, that the referendum results and town/village protests are significant. Pull the plug and go to the people. But will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Or Melania or Jean Carroll or many more.

The only reason Varadkar lasted so long in the job is because he played the sexuality and race cards to a tee.

If he was white and straight he'd have only lasted a few years as leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭Shoog

The realities are that if you expect the market to do all your heavy lifting it will do exactly what produces the most profit for the fewest people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

An adult in a consensual open relationship kissing another adult consensually is not a “sex scandal”.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

General feedback from Newstalk listeners over lunchtime seems to be to go to the public. Not much support for Harris coming through.

LOL that is a true FGer trying to make the best of a bad, bad situation. Kick the can down the road stuff and keep our bums on the seats because we know we're going to be kicked to the hills.

The Shinners are smart, they'll be hurriedly thinking and praying for time from FG, so they can turn their ship around a bit and make good hay for a few months. Again if FF are smart, they'll cut them off at the pass now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭Shoog

It's not really an accident incompetent politicians allow the Billionaires and crooks to extract the maximum profit from the country. Its in the interests of those who own all the assets to have corrupt and incompetent politicians. The intelligent and able members of society see that politics is not where the money's at so avoid it.

Advertisement