Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

An interesting take from a party member, thanks.

Why do you see an imminent threat to jobs?

I would expect that a FG member would want to see a return of the party to the centre right and if Harris does that, there could very easily be an uptick in support for FG.

As per my previous posts, I still see FG in power after the next election because FF will pick them as partners over SF, regardless.

However there is a gap in that no party represents the centre right space anymore and a move that way would likley increase FG support pretty rapidly.

With Leo resigning, I would expect the new leader to change direction and head to the centre right, ahead of the GE.

Ita not my politics personally, but when you look at the dissatisfaction with housing, crime, immigration and health in the country, any party that rolls their sleeves up on those fronts and moves to the centre right is likley to win votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Surely FF just collapse the coalition if they had any ambition but they also have a leadership problem. Install McGrath as leader, make nice with SF and head to the polls.

If Simon Harris is the best FG can offer, FF should be pouncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Exactly! It was grand for ‎Silvio Berlusconi, why shouldn't it be grand for Leo Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It looks like Harris in a no contest. I think that is very damaging to FG. Nobody else wants the top job?? Admitting defeat.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Downlinz

He's good at schmoozing and promising things to backbenchers, senators and councillors. That's it.

His probable victory has nothing to do with his capability to lead or inspire.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Leo probably made the right decision. The polls didn't improve once he got back to the Taoiseachs office.

Housing is probably improving but not quickly enough.

Health remains problematic enough.

Unfortunately he allowed mass immigration that has now come back to haunt the government.

Politics is a hard profession. Well paid but hard. He was one of the few politicians who could have made more money elsewhere. Probably could have been a consultant.

I was hoping when he took over in 2017 he would prove radical but he reverted to the bland politicians we seem to excel at turning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh seriously are you saying that Harris is in the realm of the ones you mentioned?

I don't care if he is a college dropout.

He has no substance offering nothing but soft soap cr** much like the other wastes of space.

What did he achieve in Health?

Oh and he does fook all for his constituents when they have major issues.

In fact when there are public meetings he is conspicuous in his absence much like that other idiot donnelly.

And now he is such an idiot he is taking over the bus going over the cliff.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can you imagine Harris in a stand off with Mary Lou in the Dail 😂

He'll be ate alive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I have been accused of been a "Greener", "green zealot" etc etc etc and now a "true FGer" and I never voted for either party. Fun to see on boards as usual

The Shinners are incompetent, they have managed to go from a home run election to losing traction very quickly and I expect that to continue as more people review their incompetent policies.

FF are not stupid, an election now would be bad, especially with local elections on the way. They need to consolidate and easier to do that while FG are in limelight and SF continue to fall over themselves

Time, give more time to SF and they will continue to drive people away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Economics101

You are being ridiculous. First, what you say applies mainly to apartments, not houses. Why would any sane builder build a house whichc no-one could afford?

As for apartments, builders may find bank finance difficult to get unless that have adequate security. This often comes in the form of an investment fund guaranteeing to purchase the property, which effectively provides security to the builder's financier. For houses, builders traditionally build (say) 20 houses out of 100 in a development, and when they sell them, use the proceeds to secure finance on another 20, etc. You can't do that with apartments: you have to finance the whole block in one go.

I know, we're getting away from the Leo Varadkar resignation, but it seems that it has brought lots of malcontents out of the woodwork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,046 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Leo left the Dáil at "ten o'clock last night" "got a takeaway last night with my partner" and got "up at six o'clock this morning" to get a plane to Brussels, and "i don't want to do that forever"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No I'm saying that he should not be judged as a politician because he didn't complete college which could be for a number of reasons.

Judge him as a politician, and you have to say he's been successful in that when you look at where's he got to and where's heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Sorry, but have you seen the make-up and wealth of the average TD in the Dail?

Most are Millionaires and have their own side businesses, rental properties, investments etc.

Most of them already come from wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bullshyte.

He might be opening Pharmacies or other crap, but when there were major issues with school places and last year school buses in North Wicklow the only politician really at meetings and involved with parents was Whitmore.

Harris was always unavailable funnily enough and that other constituency gimp donnelly has been doing a scarlet pimpernel impersonation.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭prunudo

Gas thing is, you just described perfectly, a person who was singing his praises during a conversation we were having yesterday 😃

I think time will prove Harris is not as toothless as some may think.

He will out think and out argue Mary Lou with relative ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,046 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Helen McEntee on NT endorsing & plámásing Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

No one wants to lead FG into an election where they will probably get a hiding. It's better to throw Harris out there to take the heat and his inevitable replacement can start a rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Seems unlikely, she's big but I doubt she could eat him all in one go.

• Advertisement

Or Harris could return the party to the centre right and clean up with the electorate.

This isnt all happening by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭LetticebCivil

Let us hope Harris finishes the great work Leo started and sinks the FG ship for good

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foxhunter2024

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think thats been obvious for a long time to be fair.

You still havent answered the question though - who is your choice for taoiseach. There is no box on the voting ballot that says 'None of them'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So it's looking like the Minister for Apprenticeships will soon run the country.

I wish him well, as I would anyone. I agree with others though that his performances up to now have not inspired me much, however he could surprise us all.

I have to confess that I feel like I'll be hiding behind the sofa whenever he does Leader's Questions etc., but I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now.

Then there's the dark horse Heather, but I doubt she'll get enough backing now. Anyway it's breaking up a boring old day for me anyway.

The thing that disappoints me is not so much that Harris is a poor candidate (as Taoiseach) but that he is not the best candidate, or the second, or third best candidate within the Fine Gael party.

However, none of the others want it - I would imagine because of the crap that comes with the position. And a lot of that is down to the way the public behaves, and the deluded expectations that people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Who will be elected in the next elections.

FF and FG are both going to take a hammering, the Greens are likely to be wiped out.

Who does that leave ?

Labour who might gain a few seats, the Social Democrats are hopeless.

Sinn Fein, they will likely destroy the country.

Theres no real choice is there, its all much of a muchness, a load of garbage.

• Advertisement

Paschal is OUT

Advertisement