Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Galway a City in Decline?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Car centric cities get hollowed out. That's nothing new.

I agree Galway will continue to hollow out until an easy public transport alternative gets put in place, however to suggest things are going that way everywhere is false. People are no longer willing to sit I'm traffic for hours just to go shopping, be it in a car or a bus.

Cities with mass transit, trams, metros, bus lanes etc do not suffer these same issues nearly as much. I wonder why

Post edited by timmyntc on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

Those cities with excellent public transport are indeed doing better. I would suggest that most of them are still in decline though and this will continue.

No matter how good the public transport, it is still easier to drive to a mall on the outside of a town, get free parking and all retail outlets in the one building. Even these are starting to struggle now though. I can't see a future in it. Convenience and cost will win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hang on. Your first post said "out of town malls are now only thriving" but overnight they're starting to struggle. Shtopppppp will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It isnt true that retail is doomed in town/city centres. But the centres do need to be accesible by public transport.

There are very few empty units in Dublin city centre. Some, but not many and no more than there have been in the past.

In Dublin, Restaraunts and bars are increasing in number, not declining.

There will also be heavier taxes on online shopping in the future, to help reduce the carbon footprint of cheap product being flown across the world from china etc and all the emmissions and product packaging that comes with it.

That move will also help support local high streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

One would almost think the government don't care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I was there a few weeks ago and got the exact same vibe (I’ve been a regular visitor since the 70s)

I think part of the problem is the very cheap looking buildings that emerged in the late 80s right into the 2000s- they’re looking very drab now and haven’t at all aged well- they’re all over the city- so that may exhibit A for me.

On the retail shops front, I guess Galway isn’t unique but maybe how the retail sector is laid out in Galway it’s more obvious. Theres a handful of established shops remaining from years ago- Treasure Chest closed last year- Kenny’s bookshop gone many years now- Griffins bakery sadly also closed a few years ago -there was a lovely French shop off Shop st that only survived a few years-and whilst I appreciate no one person may like all of what these shops sold, together they make up a vibrant selection of choice that attracts people into the town- they were all quality and independent retail outlets -without these shops you’re left with pubs cafes and vape shops and even some of these will be gone overnight.

My own view is Galway needs to start again- get rid of the many shabby buildings from the last 30 years and build sympathetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

The stuff in the high streets also comes from China with packaging. Any carbon taxes will hurt them more than individuals. The concept of clothes shops is on the way out. Its a race to the bottom now with the bigger chains consuming the smaller ones. This will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foxhunter2024

Every city in Ireland is a third world shanty town caked in make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,095 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Seems a far greater amount of people walking through the city centre now than there was 20-30 years ago. But far fewer shops, retail outlets. I can only assume that the huge increase in cafes, restaurants and other eateries is turning Galway into an experience city rather than a retail one. Have a coffee or a bite to eat, browse a clothes shop or similar. All the major purchases are done in shopping centres and retail parks on the outskirts.

Does this spell the end of bricks and mortar retail. No, but it's definitely changing. I don't think we're going to see any generational business in the city centre. We won't be going into shops as adults that we visited as children. 10 years max is probably how long they last.

I actually think COVID has slowed down the online takeover, even though it boomed during that period. My daughter and wife really missed the browsing experience that you lose when shopping online( not me. I hate shopping) There's also the social aspect of a city centre that a lot of young people missed during COVID that they're embracing now.

• Advertisement

Its really not.

Tell that to Kildare village, which is almost all clothes shop and is expanding in size.

Or all the new clothes shops opening around Grafton St - largest H&M in the country just opened in Clerys, Zara doubling their store size etc.

Numerous international fashion stores have recently moved into Dublin.

The cheap tat from Temu etc is the kind of shopping that will be taxed into oblivion.

People buying a top for less than 2 euro and having it flown from china.

Galway itself i think is struggling because A) it is very small and isnt growing its population and B) it is a difficult town to access because of the traffic problems.

• you know admitting it is the first step towards recovery. Your admission actually makes sense to me now, the negative attitude and the click bait posts. @zell12 (the rereg formerly know as serial banned user snubbleste) 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Back seat modding and personal attacks not permitted, knock it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

How was Paddies Day in Galway.

Good parade, family friendly, messy later but all in good spirits?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well the growth is still happenning about 12% in the last census, in part giving rise to your second point the increasing traffic problems.

Is that the county or Galway city itself?

12% increase from 2016 to 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I always notice this in Irish towns, you forgot to mention the generations of different wires and cables nailed and cable tied all over the place like some third world country all over the front of every building aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Source for this?

Pretty sure its single digit for the City boundary it was 5-6% from 2016-2022, but the "Metro" area taking in Bearna, Oranmore and Claregalway ya then 12% looks about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

The CSO says that Galway (county and city) grew 8% since 2016. Regardless, the city is definitely growing so the other poster's point was incorrect.

• Advertisement

If the city grew about 8% that moves it from just under 80k people to about 86k.

In real terms, 6,000 extra people over 6 years is not a lot.

May or may not be a lot but it does counter your "population isn't growing" comment.

Its barely growing is my point.

Adding 6000 people over 6 years is an increase of course, but its nominal and doesnt suggest a city growing at any significant rate.

If you compare to Limerick for example, there is a lot more housing development going on there.

It always seemed odd to me that Limerick would grow faster than Galway as Galway is a nicer place. But for whatever reason Galway just seems to stand still economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,095 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It doesnt seem to get the investment, jobs or population growth vs Limerick or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

How do you perceive that Galway is 'a nicer place'. I visit both cities regularly and could not agree. Both have their strengths but in general I find Limerick people friendlier that Galwegians especially the 'elite' in Galway who perceive themselves as culturally superior.

I was referring to the place itself, rather than the people.

Limerick is pretty bland. Ok, but a but meh.

People are nice though, I agree.

Do we have to do the Galway v Limerick thing again. Was done to death a page or 2 ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,038 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In terms of population booms people go where the jobs are and it has nothing to do with how "nice" a place is.

It's funny the negative comparison to Limerick because here in Limerick people use Galway as a stick to beat themselves with in regards to Limerick "being a city in decline"

All cities are having similar problems with no easy solutions. Thankfully Ireland is a bit behind as usual and hopefully we can do something before we become like the UK where Galway/Limerick sized cities really have been gutted and are nothing but the same few chain pubs and coffee shops replicated over and over.

Advertisement