Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It seems that group of about 200 middle-aged losers on Twitter that go around commenting on everything and spewing their deeply unhappy hate about everything relating to Irish current affairs have already moved from Leo to Simon. Absolutely tragic creatures. Some of Ireland’s most pathetic men.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jesus, some people are against everything, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leo decided to give Simon Harris the least important role in the cabinet.

And now suddenly he's about to be Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

SF are SF, they are incompetent from top to bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Nobody in FG wants the job which is very worrying for them. There must be a load of **** to hit the fan and idiot boy Harris is stupid enough to be the mudguard. Only in Ireland could you end with a Taoiseach who never had a proper job in his life...

• Advertisement

What sort of jobs would qualify you to be Taoiseach in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Certainly not, I worked and lectured in Irish colleges for over a decade, I know exactly what happened there, it was one of the primary reasons I left Academia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Did Harris even put him forward? The other top contenders are just giving him the job whether he likes it or not 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

Whoever they are Leo didn't do his any good by engaging with them.

Individuals should have been charged years ago for the kind of misinformation via social media that established media would be taken to court for.

I think sometimes last year Leo was told probably by his party to tone down his twitter shytetalking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

With FG in turmoil and FF being FF, who is there to vote for?

Both parties have lost all sense of identity in the last few years, largely because the 2020 elections have shown the populace what the sceptics always suspected: they aren't all that different after all.

They seem to be rudderless and lacking guiding principles and only happy when they go after their common foe. The referendum mess was a culmination of trying to be seen to do something while not having a clue how to actually achieve it.

People might have previously voted for them because of specific policy (or that classic "we're an FG/FF family") whereas now all they seem to offer are wishy-washy slogans.

Politicians have always done that, to an extent, but lately it seems these two are afraid to come out strongly on any point for fear of breaking up the government and letting SF in while actually showing how much they really are the same.

I know SF may be growing in support but they'll still have plenty of critics and people who refuse to even share a room with them. The other left parties will never convince enough people to be anything but a coalition partner and I'm seeing more and more Independents pop up, something which is counter-productive for a national government given how mé-féin indies can be.

I struggle to see where a government with a proper agenda and programme is going to come from in the next elections. I expect it'll just be more of this national unity government that doesn't do much except for keep SF out.

FWIW, I live abroad so won't vote but I'm still intrigued as to the path my homeland takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nevermind FG, there does not seem to be many “charismatic” young astute politicians with “drive” in the Dail. Top of my head all I can think of is Holly Cairns. There is a spark to her.

To be honest I will miss Varadkar’s interaction’s with the opposition v Mary Lou/Pearse SF in particular. A few time’s he got some lovely digs in. Such as “it didn’t take long for the balaclava to slip”. That rattled the SF benches. There were often entertaining exchanges. Like when Mary Lou went to walk out of the Dail across the chamber in a dramatic huff.

There was a back and forth with Michael Healy Rae. Where Varadkar pinned him as inverted snob. They were referring to accents. MHR had implied Varadkar looked down on people like him because of his accent and does not have an accent like he does. Healy Rae was left looking foolish, when Varadkar pointed out MHR’s inverted snobbery.

I don’t think there is anyone in the Dail now (after Leo the first goes) bar Michael Healy Rae, and Boyd-Barrett who can come out with quick cutting comments. With no messing. Micheal Martin debates in a more measured style. Mary Lou is not a good orator IMO. She lives for cliches.

The Dail is going to be duller.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

only thing that can save fine gael right now is a hard approach to immigration. bad news to some of their liberal supporters on here but it’s the only thing that will save them seats imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Ah yes the DIT first year drop out and man whilst minister for heath stated that we have to remember there were 18 previous covids and we didn’t make a vaccine for them is sooo much smarter than me. What an intellectual giant. Stephen Hawking wouldn’t have a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Scrapping the hate speech bill would be good for them too.

Boyd-Barrett is an absolutely awful public speaker. Always seems deeply nervous. It might be because that dead-eyed weirdo, Paul Murphy, is sitting behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭zell12

So, where is Leo going now? Backbencher?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

will Harris look for early election or hold on till next year

• Advertisement

An absolute pair of idiots. And the fact taxpayers money pay for them is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Usually to the backbenches but in reality he has already left the building. Will barely turn up unless numbers are needed to win a vote.

Yup - if they have sense. They should knuckle down and get back to basics. It’s damage limitation now. Nobody wants to be leader except harris. He is in for a serious 12 months until election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah the demise of Labour deserves a thread in itself - I think Ireland got sucked into the whole American approach of stand on your own two feet a little too much - the assumption being everyone has the capacity to look after themselves - free market yada yada - life doesn’t work like that - but I guess in the “good times” people pay little attention to real life issues until they start impacting them personally - I think Labour still have a big role to play in holding govt to account or if in government for making life more tolerable for the poor and the marginalised - Dick Spring for me was probably one of the last great Labour leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hayden is my local TD ( unfortunately). I too am amazed he’s not pictured behind LV in the announcement photos.

I wonder why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

And whose definition is it of the word 'competent'? Yours?

In my lifetime or that of my parents, Ireland has not been in a better place than it is now; apart from maybe in the late 90s.

Any fool can pick holes and say, why cant they do this, why cant they do that.

And that is not to underplay the challenges in the economy or mistakes the government has made.

But there is no way you can look at this govt and say they have mis managed the economy, the way others in the past did, again and again.

The relevant question that punters like you wont answer, is - who would do better.

Advertisement