Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭aidanodr

deleted .. @Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭scottser

Christ on a bike, don't tell me Boo-Boo Harris is going to be Taoiseach? You could quite literally shave a chimp, stick it in a suit and it would do a better job than that utter, utter charlatan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Can you discuss Paddy Cosgrave in the below linked thread. Unless he has said anything definitively linked to the outgoing or incoming Taoiseach then leave it out. So far the insinuations and hints have amounted to nothing and it's clogging up the thread.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058318958/has-paddy-cosgrave-overstepped-the-mark#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Well if the lad you're talking about was picking water melons I can probably see why he probably couldn't do it. My nephew is a shuttering carpenter and made money he could only dream of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Edit: sorry, didn't see Mod note above. Deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ask Liz Truss how that worked out for her?

People want the top job for the prestige. But there is little prestige with taking the job and getting wiped out a few months later, it leaves you a laughing stock not a man of prestige.

Politicians choosing their timing is nothing new whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

While I agree with you, who are the ones doing the holding back the Political parties or the mandarins in the Civil Service the like of Watt and a few others?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Financial storm clouds were already gathering when Brian Cowen took over FF leadership in 2008: do you think that is why nobofy else put themselves forward, or was it because the other 'contenders' knew he would have blown them away? And do you think Cowen regrets reaching for the crown at that stage, even though he could have foreseen his tenure was likely to be brief and ill-starred?

If Coveney in particular thinks he is 'keeping his powder dry' and intends to run for leader at a more opportune moment then I think that's a bad call. He's yesterday's man now, will never be a serious contender again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm not so sure - an internal campaign, with 2 or 3 candidates all taking little snipes at each other while the opposition write down their comments to throw back at them later would probably be a lot worse for them.

Now, instead, the Dail will go into an Easter break, and when it returns Harris will be there as Taoiseach, with the minimal of fuss, infighting or back stabbing - and FG will claim to be a very united Party under their new unanimous leader.... no, no, no, nothing to see here. Just a fresh face to inspire us going forward.

That he may very well be the patsy to take a fall later we'll have to wait and see - but there is also an alternative that FG already can see that next year they'll be in opposition, will have a young leader to build around, and in 6 years time will be able to proclaim him as an experienced leader of the country and a viable alternative as to whatever is in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Paddy Cosgrove is a tool box of the highest order, his exstaff will tell you all you need to know and I think at this stage very person who has been involved with him brought him to court, or close to it

He had no issue been best mates with FG and Leo till Leo didn't give him the keys to Dublin which he wanted, which would have been a disaster for tax payers but the way Since then his vendetta has got stranger and stranger by the day

A full thread about him and even him fighting with his poor neighbours now when he bought a house in Donegal, no harm if the guy left Ireland for good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It worked out pretty well for the Lettuce all told. She never would have gotten near the job if the UK wasn't in crisis mode and the Tories weren't imploding.

For evermore she can no peddle herself as "former Prime Minister" and make plenty off the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Harris will take the same electoral hiding for FG that was due for Varadkar until he ran away. He's getting coronated because no one wants to be the leader to take the flak.

Will the electorate somehow warm to Harris in a way they clearly did not with LV? Highly unlikely as Harris comes across as a transition year student on work experience and he's been there for every cut, every incompetence and every piece of nastiness associated with the LV era.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Emer Higgins called it a "Renewal" last night when she was asked if the FG was in crisis on the Tonight Show on Virgin Media. There were a few guffaws from the other panelists when she said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

Its that there's no consequences for anything and a small but increasing number of students are at a frankly incredible level of laziness, petulance and dont see the pointness etc etc

they mirror the way society has evolved and system has to bend to that to some degree, you cant actually expect much of a standard from them now, its the teachers have the standards now.......I may not agree with everything that poster has to say (I mean that factually as I haven't read much of anything else they have to say) but the JC has been dumbed down massively and I assume the LC will be to some degree as well.....

its all part of a trend of not being an adult with personal responsibility until you reach increasingly older ages and a certain cohort of the population having no responsibilities or meaningful consequences at all if they are too much trouble to deal with and are useful as an income generator for other cohorts of society while getting handouts from yet another cohort.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

FG will emerge like a phoenix from the flames from this. Said no one ever. I am not sure our political system, justice system, ... can keep up with all the shenanigans presented to it in the Scrolling Age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Tony Blair used to make a million a month, he was able to quote 330k for a 20 minute speech. Go look at the likes of Gordon Brown and see what they make per speech.

A former PM only making 250k a year makes my point more than it does yours, Liz Truss is bargain bucket relative to her peers, all because of her timing.

The original point was about why some people didn't want the job now, why they would wait for better timing, and somebody said politicians would always take the job if they could.

Showing that Truss made a balls of it just reinforces my point made.

I think we should all have a minutes silence and think about all the poor people on twitter/tiktok/social media who whole lives rotated around what was going on with Leo and now today are looking forward to a bleak bleak future of not sure who or what to latch onto next to make their lives worthwhile.

Some really really sad videos and post been made at the moment as they scramble for meaning in their lives

5, 4, 3,.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You're making the mistake of comparing her to other competent PMs, instead of comparing her to where should would have been if she was never PM.

If Truss hadn't been PM, she wouldn't be making anything from speeches - by virtue of being the worst PM in living memory, she has still improved her position by a quarter of a million pounds a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

This sums up Leo and the classism on this site/country perfectly:

Emmet Kirwan on the Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar | The Late Late Show | RTÉ One - YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

So, Harris is now a done deal. At least we know.

(FG, why not just do the formalities tomorrow and let the Dail elect him in the evening - no point having an interregnum period)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well there aren't any tents in Greystones, or hotels or nursing homes converted are there? And seriously if he does nada about law and order I'll be raging. Oh and what about the Free Speech thing? If we are silenced that will be ominous from my perspective anyway. He can TikTok away and no one will be able to say a thing back.

No it doesn't, it's a snippet from an actor trying to push his own shows/book

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Varadkar was supposed to be the man who represented ordinary working people, but he tossed that away when he started trying to pivot FG to the left.

Not really confident about Simon Harris, but am prepared to give him a chance. If he continues to take FG down the Varadkar path then they're going to be destroyed come elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If as being mentioned, Simon haris as our next Taoiseach god help us if this happens.

He's a most insipid uninspiring excuse for a human.

If he's the best this country or FG has for a leader, then our chances of ever seeing anything work again are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Modulok

do you think that’s impressive? That he dropped out of a journalism degree and became a minister by 27?

Because I think it’s a shocking example of the sickness of our democracy and it’s no wonder the country is in such a shambles if that is the caliber of candidate we are putting into high office. No life experience. No demonstrated ethic. No demonstrated achievement. Just an opinionated young fella full of notions of himself who talked and tweeted himself into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Doesn't that describe most career politicians?

• Mary Lou has never worked at anything.
    • Michael Martin might have taught for a year or two?
    • Ryan...no idea.
    • Boyd Barrett?!
    • Bacik...has she practiced law, might have...dunno
    • Holly Cairns...no idea

None of them are 'high achievers' outside of politics. Neither were Ahern, Haughey, Cowen etc. Albert Reynolds probably the sole exception I can think of.

Anyone who has achieved great things in another sphere of life, by definition, generally won't be attracted to politics. It's a vocation all of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A no contest also creates a vacuum over Easter. The FF TDs and councillors will be grumbling at having to vote for another FG TD as Taoiseach. Voting for a man who brought down the previous government when he was Health minister.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
Advertisement