Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

FF should be thinking now of seeking an election instead of backing Harris.

It would be very easy but very empowering for them to say "it's what people want, no one wants an uncontested, shoe-in, lame duck / short term Taoiseach". Or simply "we feel the electorate should decide the next Taoiseach".

FG are very weak right now with no leadership and a dozen or more TDs leaving. With the recent referendum result it's unlikely the current government will be re elected, so FF don't need to stay loyal to it.

The next government will be SF/FF or SF/FF led and FF would be better off looking decisive now than waiting for the current government to fizzle out.

I can't see MM doing any of this, so unless he is replaced faster than LV was, this probably won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The problem with this is that Micheal Martin joined FG in 2016 and brought the rest of FF in with him. The time has come for Martin to be dumped and I would not be surprised to see it happen before the next election. Arguably Martin can pre-empt this by pulling out of government soon and hoping to be a part of the next government.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Honestly I'm staggered that a gombeen of a man such as Harris could become the leader of FG never mind the leader of the country.

Its like something from a parallel universe, the twilight zone.

Kenny-Varadkar-Harris, going from bad to worse, a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This Government and the ones involving FG since 2011 (because the current one contains many of the same characters) have absolutely squandered and mismanaged the economy and country as a whole in that time. In the process they also managed to rehabilitate FF and make Michael Martin Taoiseach.

An entire generation have little to no hope of owning their own home - even with 2 full time Incomes. The rental market is in even worse shape. A GP visit is something you'll wait days or longer for. Parents are cutting back on their own meals so their kids won't do without, childcare costs as much as a mortgage. That's just to name a few.

Despite the billions washing through the country via the MNC sector, the divide between the haves and have nots has increased massively on top of all the issues above. When (not if) that cash cow dries up or the global economy that drives it has another meltdown, the crash this time will be an order of magnitude worse than the last one.

You're making the classic mistake of presuming that just because the alternatives aren't any better or worse that this is an endorsement of the current arrangement. It's well known for years by most people that we have a serious problem in regards political choice - especially in the centre right sphere.

We now have a selection of left (to varying degrees) leaning groups and parties and nonsensical screeching about the "far right" whenever anything even vaguely more economically or socially sensible is mentioned.

But that doesn't by any stretch validate the current Government. A Government that has undermined the electoral system through back room Confidence and Supply and Coalition deals, formally eliminating any pretence of difference between the Big 2 in the process. As for the Greens... Do I really need to spell out the problems with having a rabble of one-issue ideological fantasists at the controls? Catherine Martin, Roderic O'Gorman, Eamon Ryan? Even a cursory look at their performance will answer that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,635 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Could not agree more. The ignorance and laziness spouted by some people who slate politicians, and people who put themselves so publicly forward, is pathetic.

• Advertisement

He can just dig out whatever one he had in the early days!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭a2deden

I would take what your nephew says hes making shuttering with a pinch of salt, again my time in Aus was in the industry.

Nice money sure, money you could only dream about nah.

Australia is a great country, one i tell everyone to give a go to, amazing weather, ok people but the money made there is beyond exaggerated, if i was to move to Australia now i would have to take at least a 20% cut in my salary

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Exactly, imagine if everyone had 7 or 8 advisors like Varadkar and Ryan.

You'd have very little to do.

These jackeens have no idea what a hard days work is, half of them have other businesses and jobs outside politics.

They cant be working that hard if they are able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I know, it’s shocking. Pity Lucinda Creighton left the party. It just shows that political success in Ireland has nothing to do with intellectual calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

One thing I do note about the current discourse: people have some very unrealistic expectations about what an Irish government can actually achieve, especially when it comes to housing.

• Advertisement

Catherine Martin, Roderic O'Gorman and Helen McEntee (to name but 3) seem to have managed to get to that position with zero demonstration of ability or competence in their respective ministries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

A man who's never had a real job in his life either. It's like a comedy sketch.

Well, when you consider the FF lineage of Haughey-Ahern-Cowen, the FG names you mention look like titans in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You complain about scheming and in the same breath talk about Harris stepping up.

The choreography of today was no accident. Harris has been building a leadership project for years. His ambition was no secret but I still don't understand why they are choosing him.

I see no way, unless he has some sort of Damascene conversion and does a complete and rapid 180 on current policy which he has previously backed for it to have any impact on FGs position with the electorate. I also don't see the actual sell here either.

Maybe the FG parliamentary party know something or see some spark that we don't know about him. He will need to show it pretty quickly tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A Government that has undermined the electoral system through back room Confidence and Supply and Coalition deals

You may as well hold a giant neon sign proclaiming you know nothing about how our electoral system is supposed to work. How, pray tell, did these incredibly normal and globally ubiquitous parliamentary agreements undermine anything?

Also, wealth inequality in Ireland is decreasing not increasing. There are people out there who actually measure these things

Haughey and Ahern who despite their many personal failings brought this country out of the 50s era mindset and laid the groundwork for the FDI investment that underpins the entire economy while (in the case of the latter) helping to bring peace to the North.

Cowen who in fairness was left to carry the can when Bertie saw the writing on the wall but still better than Enda who pissed away a once in a generation mandate and support to actually change the way things were done for his and his party's turn at the trough while selling off as much as they could to private interests through NAMA until they actually managed to get one of the most apathetic electorates in Europe out on the streets with the Irish Water debacle.

I'll keep saying it. As bad as FF are, FG actually cause far more damage.

Yes, I must have forgotten how the IMF had to come in and administer the country under a FG Taoiseach. Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Absolutely, pretty much all he’s done is throw money around like confetti. Don’t think he managed to get any reform through in Health. Have to say, Donnelly seems to be getting some sort of grip on it. Has finally got them working weekends which is great. You can see Donnelly’s management consultancy experience coming through, apparently he’s all about metrics. Harris was all about sound bites and photo ops (as was Leo who achieved absolutely nothing in Health).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Allinall

Have you any idea what they do in their day to day work, or is your opinion based solely on Daily Mail headlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

What jobs would no Irish parent accept for their children? Chimney boys?

• Advertisement

I'm interested in results, not grandstanding and spin.

RTE affair... Immigration mess... Crime levels and Garda discontent and retirements... Just to name 3.

Those "results" speak for themselves.

That would actually be a great TV program.

Stop 100 random people on the street and ask 'what do you think a government minister does?'

Then show the footage of what they actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Haughey although a crook is leagues above the wet blanket that is Simon Harris. In terms of intelligence and political aptitude it's like a premiership player and a Non League player.

Are we really saying we don't care if our elected officials are crooks, as long as they're charismatic?

I will go with the majority opinion on this one. At least I might get a chance at a bunga bunga party invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not really, the housing crisis has been getting worse since 2016. While I agree it can't be fixed over night, 8 years is long enough to come up with a coherent plan to address it.

What have we got?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Not at all just saying I understand why he got elected. He undeniably had charisma and political aptitude. Harris appears to possess neither.

Well, he clearly has political aptitude - you don't get to rise to the top of the political ladder without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

What is it with middle-aged dudes thinking they live in the European equivalent of Angola?

The government (no matter who it is, FFG, SF, whoever) should concentrate on fixing the system. Planning, Appeals, Zoning, Tax policy. Half the problem is that the people don't want this changed - they don't want new stuff built near them and will crucify any politician who allows it to happen.

Let's not pretend that the government could or even should be in the business of building houses. If you think they should be, I have a half-finished Childrens Hospital, a non-existent Dublin Metro and many other spectacular failures to show you.

• Advertisement

Luanda is a notoriously expensive town so maybe we do have something in common. If you close your eyes and don't think about it too much.

Advertisement