Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I've entered it occasionally, usually when Vodafone give me free credit. I don't spend my own money on it.

It's not in any way realistic to imagine a conspiracy, though. All it would take is one mistake or one disgruntled employee and there'd be huge reputational damage to the stations and Bauer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Probably showing my age here but I never listen to today fm these days. I’m completely oblivious to what those DJs of today are playing much less talking about. I don’t text radio stations have no idea what tik tok is and don’t have any interest in entering competitions. However I must say the block rockin beats show on a Friday night is a real throw back to great days in my youth and really enjoy it. The last show I listened to that I enjoyed this much was Ed’s songs of praise so I hope the same fate doesn’t befall this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

You do realise the terms and conditions on their website state the end date for the competition? The last day of that period is always a guaranteed winner.

They usually have a guaranteed winner the Friday before a bank holiday, a random prize for the weekend and then after the bank holiday they usually have a big prize that runs across the rest of the week, €100k or something.

If you genuinely believe they’re rigging it to have a bigger prize on the Friday, report them to whichever commission is over competitions and scams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya if it bothered me enough I might, it really doesn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

the cash machine (there's variations in the name) being a staple of many Bauer stations al over europe would mean that if it is fixed there's a high degree of that being leaked at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't believe it's fixed, it's just bloody annoying.

Same goes for all the bloody competitions on certain shows. Breakfast with Ian Dempsey goes overload, talks about it more than the cash machine.

Ray Darcys show another one. It's filler content and gives them so much to waste time with. Probably suits the likes of Fota Island too to give away an evening stay and meal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Ray Darcy hasn't been on Today FM for quite some time. You mean Foley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Zara King is in for Matt this evening. I get the feeling they're trialing out life after Matt. Looking for voice notes from listeners, Ben Finnegan getting brought into both links so far and a general chit chat between the 2 of them.......if it was this long term they'd be losing me as a listener!!!

Ben is incredibly dry I think and I really don't want to hear voice notes on people's opinions of apps they use every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I don't want voice notes from any members of the general public on any radio show. Classic Hits had a lad doing one today and he was obviously chewing gum as he spoke, rotten.

Ben Finnegan, another staffer who is now on TLW filling time/adding content (whichever way you want to call it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭fire_man

Turned it off straight away this eve.Cheap radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭sporina

Gift Grub was sooo good today - "i'm just Leo" lol #Barbie - Ken

Love Mario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,908 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Zara has done a few few shifts and is as bad as Brianna Parkins when she subbed in.

Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think there’s too many decent alternatives (podcasts in particular) than to be bothered with this rubbish, particularly when Matt is off. If Matt’s off, I’m out. And even when he is on, several of his regular segments have me immediately switching to anything else - John gibbons, Roe McDermott, John Caddell, the Israeli ambassador…

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

Not looking forward to Alison Curtis butchering Music Master later this morning.

There has been an element of Matt himself which has made me switch away from TLW.

He's not the host he was maybe 5 or 10 years ago. A pale shadow.

The standard of guests and contributors has dropped off badly too.

Not to mention the cash machine and the 5 @ 5, 6 @ 6 etc.

Yep. Stopped reading a question before the drums, then I think the answer came in on time anyway but I'm not sure if it was given to her... And she didn't say what the chosen category (Good Vibrations) represented. I'm guessing Good Vibrations -> Beach Boys -> Feel-good songs. Maybe. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

This is not the first time that the cash machine has been referred to in this thread.

In case that some do not realize, this is across all the Bauer Media owned stations and is not a specific Today FM competition. All the stations concerned, including Newstalk, have to mention it at least hourly. The clue is the phrase: "you are playing across the Go Loud network of stations". Many may have switched off (literally or metaphorically!) before then!

Again, if you do not know already, there is a thread about the cash machine:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058264652/goloud-cash-machine/p13

Yip, know all about the cash machine and how its a Bauer thing. I rarely listen to any of their stations now.

• Advertisement

I think Roe is one of the best she has long jumped the shark but is still commited to the bit. Any time she starts rambling about consent and predatory males is twice as funny as before. She has the awareness of a deaf and blind pigeon.

Roe is another on the checklist of why I stopped listening to TLW.

You could be missing out on her expert analysis of why Thomas the Tank Engine is the misogynistic poster child of the patriarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

he used to not entertain morons like Roe/Gannon etc, be fair and impartial and a tough interviewer....i dunno if he's just afraid of a backlash/cant be bothered challenging them

Yes agree Last word gone the the dogs.Only tune in for sport and couple of contributors. Between adds,cashmachine,news bulletins it's hard to listen straight true and for the culture club pure rubbish.

It's gone very tabloidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭salonfire

Is JP of the Ray Foley show single again? He was engaged but mentioned a couple of times recently about being on dating apps.

Someone mentioned Mario's show on Sundays a few year back.

Why was it scrapped,were figures very poor?

They're doing Yesterday FM from this morning at 9 am until, I can't remember, Monday night at 10 I think. And it's guess the year. I think every hour will have a different year, and they're going all the way back to 1984! Should be a nice shakeup to the usual tired playlist. They played Phenomenon by LL Cool J just there, I'd forgotten all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yes, the music is decent for a change!

I can't believe my ears, but "You can call me Al" by Paul Simon is actually playing on Today FM right now.

Advertisement