Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

If the price they will be paying for stream is similar to what they are already paying for Q I don't see any reason sky wouldn't be happy to switch them over

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Butson

Makes sense from Sky's point of view to push this, they don't have to pay any engineers then.

But when you are relying on the RTE player to do its job, licensing rights from the likes of Virgin and BBC which means not all content is available on catch up, then it's not going to work for a lot of people without the recording function. Lots of ads on Catch Up players too, which will force people to pay the ad skipping fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Vodafone forced me into taking their stream box when renewing my contract and it's god awful, out of contract in October this year, is Sky stream a better alternative? Can't get Sky Q where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

For me sky stream has been fairly good for the price it is. If you can get over the negatives (playlist is not as reliable as dvr, almost all of bbc will not be available on playlist, even some of other channels us erratic on it) and they are outweighed by positives (broadband and tv quality is good, all of the sky tv is available, different streaming apps like Netflix, Paramount, Disbcovrry is provided as part of package, if u gave movies u get 2 Vue cinema tkts a month, sky customer service is great compared to others) then it is worth it. I don’t have multi room but so far I’ve had no issues apart from not being able to watch some of the programs I used to record before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Btw I hadn’t noticed it before but you can tune in Saorview channels on the Stream box.

Not sure what value this adds but the option is there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That shouldn’t be possible, there’s no DTT tuner in the Sky Stream puck?

Sky Glass does have one mind.

There must have been a software update to enable it, because tonight was the first time I saw the aerial icon, but I 100% have all the Saorview channels tuned in on my Sky Stream box right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

How do you tune in / access the channels? Any pictures?

Hmm, to correct my earlier post apparently it does and always had a DTT tuner, and an aerial input on the rear, to meet regulatory requirements in Italy.

Apparently it’s been switched off until now.

• Advertisement

Yeah if you’re in the home page and you go down to “apps and inputs”, you’ll see an aerial icon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Interesting, and are the DTT channels on the regular EPG or do they get their own section?

From reading here I think the only thing missing from Sky Stream is the recording ability which has given a flawless experience to sky customers over the years. I'd be surprised if they didn't introduce that in their next generation box to really pull the Q customers in

"Recording" in the cloud should (in theory) work - broadcaster restrictions (and an occasional bug) may prevent the experience from being smooth for users. Sky are not going to start adding local recording abilities to future boxes, it's over for this type of technology.

They'll keep working on improving the current streaming based services. The improvements will come to current generation hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

It will be interesting in time to see if it is over for that type of technology. EE, in the UK, have introduced streaming boxes with built in recording so they must believe there is a market for it. Only time will tell

Watch out Sky - EE unveils new way to watch TV that brings back most-wanted feature - Mirror Online

Eir has sorted the issue - mostly - so it’s doable. It’s taken them five years to do so though.

But it doesn't work, as we can see from all the commentary here it can be very hit and miss. By comparison recording on Sky Q just works, it's straightforward and simple and I suspect that is why a lot of people are still with Sky and haven't gone to dodgy services.

I'd be very surprised if sky relied on a sub par service after years of leading the way

• Advertisement

I agree, the comments here (and elsewhere) show that it is hit and miss for Sky Stream/Glass at the moment. However, streaming is their go forward plan for TV services. Cloud recording reduces the cost of the hardware significantly. They'd have to see a pretty significant dent in subscriber numbers to alter this trajectory.

Remember, for a percentage of users - recording is not even a major issue. I include myself in this. I have the ability to record whatever I want from any FTA channel easily, but I rarely do this (a few times a month max).

On the other hand, I do know people who recording is literally all they do. Series linking all the soaps and catching up afterwards.

It’s the BBC that’s the issue for many - in the absence of a proper catch up service, take away recording too and we are back to pre-VHS days of watch live or bust. (Miss It Miss Out, as they used to say on Live and Kicking).

Sky have taken a radically different approach to other broadcasters in that they’ve actually managed to do a deal with the BBC for catch up. But not everything’s there and until it is, it can never be a substitute for recording. Didn’t even have Doctor Who, the one show we know the BBC have the Irish rights to. (They later did a deal with RTE).

The issue of of the BBC recording can be resolved with a proper freesat+ box connected to an existing sky minidish. Include a saorview recorder and you have 70% of the sky basic package all recordable

I’m not sure why you’d take Sky Stream in the first place with that setup. Now TV would be a cheaper and better bet for the channels you’re missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭baz9375

This must be the Irish Stream boxes only. I'm using a UK one through N.Ireland and this option isn't there - I checked the software and all is up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What channels come with this?

would love discovery , history channel and some kids stuff.

It comes with the Discovery+ app free so you have on demand all those factual shows across discovery, history I think and crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

If you're a new Sky customer it works out cheaply when paired with broadband only €50p/m.

Will I keep it after the first year is up and prices rise, probably not but I'll see what they offer when it comes to that.

It was really the suggestion of having a Saorview/Freesat setup - at that stage, I’d add Now rather than Sky to fill in the missing channels.

Of course if you’re starting afresh Sky may make sense when faced with the significant initial investment in installing an aerial and dish (can be about €500 between installation and equipment). A lot of people out there with Freesat set ups - including myself - are ex Sky satellite customers whose dish installation was paid for by Sky and so didn’t have to make that initial investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

I'm not overly pushed about having live TV to be honest anyway, only thing I really watch live is Sport and I have my completely legal Firestick for that.

Yes, all the documentary channels are there and as noted above you get the Discovery+ app included in the price.

The basic kids channels (RTEjr, CBBC etc) are on it but Nickelodeon, Nick Jr are an extra cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

DTT channels are accessible through an app and the EPG for the DTT channels is only Now and Next. I don't see myself ever using it as Saorview on the television at least has a full EPG.

So can this gizmo record in some capacity at all?

No, absolutely nothing, neither cloud nor physical storage, just easy linking to catch-ups

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,600 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There is cloud recording on channels that don’t have catchup, or some of them at least.

recording stuff, massively handy for games on RTE or Prime time.

Yes. I had it cloud record some overnight things from TNT Sports without issue.

So you can watch Prime Time on the RTE Player app. Probably the games too, though it's not something I use myself.

Yes, it’s very poor on smart TV and of late there can be up to 6 ads in the middle of a 30 min program. Sometimes it bugs out and you have to watch the ads all over again. The traditional Sky + is ideal

I find something on the channel 4 app if I try fast forward something I can’t stop it, except putting it in rewind with no way to stop that.

On Sky Stream, you have the option to skip ads on the Player apps. It's included in the current bundle though they may well apply an extra charge in the future.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen this before, movie on E4 not available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Did they show naked attraction?

You dirty old man!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

It might be something like the All4 player where you can't watch live but may be able to view it later on the player.

They DO show Naked Attraction, which I've watched, purely for research purposes of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Just saw that Top Gun 2 was on C4 - started an hour ago. Fab says I since MOTD isn’t on. Saw the “Watch from Start” button was available but when I selected that I got a message saying “this program is not available in your area”.

Mightily fed up of Sky Stream now - wonder can I change to Sky Q without penalty? I did a very long survey yesterday about the Sky Stream experience. One of the questions asked was did I have annoyances about not being able to see MOTD more or less as I wanted to see it! They must be getting flack about that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭fman

Very weird with top gun as it seems to be available on the channel 4 app. I mean the knives out thing is frustrating but at least there's consistency that it isn't available in the app.

• Advertisement

Top Gun Maverick is available on the Sky Stream box through All 4 now so it's strange what happened last night. The error suggests a rights problem but as its there now who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,722 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Streaming rights are different to broadcasting rights and another reason for it to be roundly ignored while the carve up of media distribution continues and you have to bounce from platform to platform to get what you want to see

This was broadcast though, on live TV. I hadn't tried to Watch from Start or anything. Just switched onto this channel and it appeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭AJB39

Weird that it was blocked on Sky Stream. Top Gun Maverick was available on Channel 4 on Virgin Media. Indeed films on Channel 4 are never blocked on Virgin Media. The England-Brazil match before it was geo blocked but that was the case across all platforms accept for Freesat.

Haven’t seen anything other than football geoblocked on Channel 4 on Sky in years. (They have preserved the capability to do so by keeping the ROI feed encrypted, however, the football is blocked by Channel 4 playout - they substitute the programme with an animated caption - rather than using Sky’s CAS to do so, which kinda makes you wonder why they bother continuing to encrypt if they’ve another method of geoblocking that doesn’t require it).

• Advertisement
Advertisement