Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheepdog training

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Yes I think your right. Its gonna take time.

Did your dog get going after limstone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Milestone moment today. Stood at the gate and sent him off on a fairly long outrun to gather 25 very stubborn hoggets and he brought them right up and out the gate and into the yard for me. Nice to see all the training starting to turn into something useful. He has rightly toughened up now, not afraid to shove into a ewe now if she's trying to boss him and it has made all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Great to have those moments, when it all seems worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Update not good I'm afraid.

I'm working him 2 months now and its not going well he has no interest in sheep. Hes ok on commands but the penny hasn't dropped about the sheep. He has no interest in staring at sheep or when I'm working in the crush he has no interest in them.

He does the command even if theres no sheep in the field.The sheep are just in the way if hes doing his thing. Pity I like him.

Hes 16 months now and I have him out every day. Sadly hes not giving me anything to work with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

It is alright. He was always very biddable and intelligent but was just lacking that bit of confidence to shove into them and get them moving if they didn't want to move. Was driving me mad to be honest, when I was training his flanks, lie down, calling him off etc he picked up all those things in a few days but I'm 2 months solid trying to get him to drive them and there was no improvement any day until the penny finally dropped and he figured out he was the boss. He even put them out through a mucky gap for me yesterday that they really didn't want to go through, took a lot of pressure to get them moving but he did it. Not a hope in hell would he have moved them through it a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Bought a collie pup here ourselves a few weeks ago. Has lie down , wait, sit etc mastered. Would be hoping she'll work our few sheep but also be a pet. Someone has said ill make her too soft by treating her as a pet. Any truth in that?.12 weeks old at the moment. She will corner sheep on her own when we have her out in the field so theres definitely some work in her.

We kind of have the opposite problem. My bitch is one year old on Monday and is going well on the sheep. She's terrified of the wife though and nervous of the kids. I thought she could be a family dog but not too sure now. I think she's just bred too strong as a sheepdog. Pity, because our family dog of 14 years died a few weeks ago (a spaniel).

Every dog is very different. Mine was always very aggressive with the sheep but she's calmed down a lot now. Still has a relapse occasionally and tries to grip and I need to be quick in there.

I saw an old trick that is used sometimes to bring out the hunting instinct in a disinterested dog.

Get the sheep in a pen with the dog in the corner watching. Then just grab a sheep. This can spark the killer instinct in the dog as he thinks you have chosen one to kill. Be careful though as you may get bitten!

• Advertisement

Strange to be nervous of a woman. Often see dogs afraid of men but havent come across one the other way around

Bit of work with her this morning. She pushed some ram lambs down the field to the pen and kept them bunched on the fence. Nice that shes showing interest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

To be able to train a dog is wonderful but they will learn a lot themselves if you always bring them with you.

I never went in for fancy training methods, it was always the 20ft rope at the start and let them figure it out themselves after that.

My last two dogs went deaf so have had to resort to hand signals, but I find it great compared to shouting as I cant either whistle or work a whistle.

If he's keen you'll really enjoy bringing him out

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

think treating the dog as a pet is vital. some lads lock their dogs up 99% of the day in damp cold sheds. was on a farm last year, all dogs and pups tied under trees. poor dogs are treated terribly.

for us when the dog isn't working and we are home, the dogs are trained to stay in the back yard or they wander into their kennels. you have to have that trust. no good dealing with a wild thing or a poor timid dog that doesn't go near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

Have always played with my working dogs,it part of their nature.

You wouldn't see much softness in them gathering the sucklers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Hi all,

my dog is just gone a year old now and starting to work well but needs a lot of talking to to keep her calm and stop her getting over excited.

im struggling to get out with her every day with her now due to short days, have ye worked a dog in the dark or a well lit yard ?

Found this thread again when searching for something else. How are all your dogs doing?. My one is doing more than I thought she'd ever do. Really come on this past yr. Find the big thing is use them as much as possible even if it's a small job.

Most sheepdogs will train themselves, Our dog cost €50 and does all we want but she'd be great if we had more work. she loves working..

I see in the west that the rescue centres are inundated with collies. Couple of years ago they were going for big money. There was a plea gone out to farmers to spay their females.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Would anyone recommend a good sheep dog trainer/farmer who sells trained sheepdogs in any county in Connacht, or Donegal/Fermanagh areas?

My dog is getting on and is a bitch and I am tempted to try and get a litter of pups off her by a good sheepdog before it's too late. She is around 8 years old and never was pregnant. Would she still be able to conceive at her age now?...........

She was an excellent dog, my father bought her at a year old trained, from an elderly dog trainer from Donegal who has passed away since. She has a great outrun and keeps sheep in a tight bunch while bringing them into pen, yard etc. Only fault she has now is one she developed in last few years, which is that when she just about has the sheep successfully through a gap/or put into a pen 5 times out of 10 she makes a burst to the front to stop the sheep going into the pen!🙄..........but once you let a roar at her she comes back out behind the sheep and does the correct thing😀

If I successfully got a litter of pups from her I would send one or two of the pups off to be trained, alternatively if she is not able to conceive I will be on the lookout to buy a young trained dog so would really appreciate any recommendations of good trainers/dog sellers that people have come across or dealt with in the last few years.

Thanks for any replies🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Hi BL, I'm not too familiar with any trainers or farmers with sheepdogs in the Donegal or Fermanagh areas but I know of quite a few in my part of the world. Was your bitch in heat over the years, I presume she was and just not served? At 8 she would be getting to the stage where the time between her heats would be getting longer so you'd need to keep a good eye on her.

As you'll know there's be a world of difference between buying a dog from a trainer and a farmer, if the trainer is specifically looking to sell trial dogs or for general farmwork.

I've a wee bitch here that pupped about fortnight ago. I served her with a dog that cost £10K out of Scotland, I had to give £300 for the service but I'd have given double it just to get pups from her as she's a super dog for sheep and cattle. I'm keeping a bitch from the litter to train and two are already sold, and I'll have no bother getting the others sold for at least the price of the service each.

If you do get her served, be prepared to pay for the service if it's out of a decent dog but as you say getting a pup from a dog you know is half the battle. Although there's also been plenty that were a waste of lead!

Vets have told me that a dog is too old at eight if she hasn't had a litter before and will be prone to complications

Thanks for reply ,yeah she would have been in heat along the way alright but we have a good set up in that the dogs are in an area with 3 row of sheep wire around so virtually impossible to escape out of or for a mongrel to have got into her over he years!😂…….never got around to breeding off her as the missus didn’t want the hassle of pups around the place……..kinda regret listening to her now!🙂……you can pm me any suggestions of good sheep trainers you know if that’s ok.I’m based in Leitrim and tbh wouldn’t mind paying the extra for a well trained dog over a well bred pup iykwim.

Best of luck with your own pups,it’s funny as it’s like Russian Roulette with a litter trying to pick the pup that will be a worker.Have seen neighbours over the years with telephone numbers of sheep who would regularly have litters from good dogs…..and very few of them prove to be good workers

Thanks Antrim Glens I got confused and was answering a combination of your post and Wranglers🙂

If it’s ok with you please pm me on any recommendations of good trainers as I said to Wrangler earlier,

Cheers.

Where in Leitrim are you out of interest?. Im in Kilclare. Moved here 2 years ago.

My dog is eight year old like yours and very sorry I didn't breed her . I wouldn't like to hardship her now. I'm retired now so won't be getting another dog.

Churchmount sheepdogs have good dogs, Eamonn connell is a good trainer with churchmount , he has some good videos on Youtube.

I think Eamonn represented Ireland lately with his dogs. Google ''Eamonn Connell sheepdogs'' and you'll get some good videos.

Years ago a lovely bitch died here after a ceasarean at eight or nine years old,

Cheers Wrangler,

I won’t put her through the possible hardship associated with a pregnancy.Have noticed this Spring that my lady is starting to slow down,she was never over worked so wouldn’t have as many miles up on the tachometer as say a dog with a full time farmer but I would imagine they all slow down when they reach a certain age iykwim.

Going by prices you hear people giving for good dogs now………realistically are you talking about €2k for a good trained dog now?

Advertisement