Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭green daries

Hundred percent walked away from all the groups years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭alps

They're not. Figures they've used are from other sources.

Go away out of that 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Find anything that references profit monitors. In the last 3 years I've only seen figures being quoted from national farm survey, signpost farms, coop monitor farms and IFAC.

Them coop monitor reports are another load of bollix too ....... why in the name of sweet Jesus are we allowing them free loaders (anyone involved in agriculture not physically working ) Firstly access to out information and secondly allowing them to use it to harm the profitability of our business. Surely you cannot be in agreement with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Im in a private group aswell as a teagasc group

wouldn’t have a notion of doing a profit monitor and giving it to teagasc but I do do a cost comparison for my other group using a different program. Absolutely essential imo. Really shows up the areas you’re good at and the ones you need to improve when you compare it to others

and before someone says “ppl don’t put accurate figures in “ that’s bs, you’ll get questioned if yours are way better than the rest and you better be able to explain yourself or you’ll be called out on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭older by the day

It's your choice. And controlling costs is vital to making a profit, it was Teagasc that I was moaning about. Giving them every detail about your farm, while they are in a room with civil servants planning and scheming about the next rules and regulations they can fire at farmers.

Anyway I give money to my accountant to do the accounts and I can see my costs there. I have never seen my current account go down like the past 12 months, I was wondering today would i bother replacing the handle of the four prong pike, or cut a branch for it instead.

I think we are all fed up with weather, calf's, cows jumping inside, Shiite in the yard, politicians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I wonder will it turn out like 2012 and stay bad for a other 13 months....

😖

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I was looking at the long range forecast on AccuWeather. Take with a big pinch of Himalayan salt. I hope it's wrong.

Rest of March is bad.

April clearing up

May mostly clear.

Forecast goes to 20th June, only two days shows no rain/thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Is there not a synopsis of what it’s costing farmers to produce milk ..meal costs ..fertiliser costs …cost of production published by them yearly 🤔🤔my coop has got in on the act and is now using it to determine a figure as to which our board and representative committee members have to trade to to keep tgeee seats ….and both are ridocolusly high figures …in a previous job I was involved in 2 trade surveys and a company is more than industry in what customers and rivals are doing in all aspects of there business

• Advertisement

Fair enough …..I just can’t get over the fascination done have with everyone else ….what’s the point comparing costs unless for very similar systems …..you’ve fed a lot of maize/whole crop,heavily stocked suffer droughts now your z grazing what’spoint comparing against someone doing less or none of those …..set your own goals improve your own farm year on year and see where the gaps are….that’s what matters not what anyone else is doing …I like going to see other farms to see the cows how they manage them ,how they manage grass ,make quality forage and enough of it ,soil fertility .manage there time etc zero interest in financial figures

Yes, based on info from the other sources. They got a serious wrap on the knuckles about 4 years ago on GDPR issues and haven't seen PM figures bulked for publication since. IFAC similarly should not be doing what they're doing currently.

A prominant private advisor has recently gone down this road as well and presented a paper at a womens conference, based on the average figures from her discussion groups. While done on her template, use of the data ourside if the purpose for which is was collected is again wrong.

Because a lot of costs are still comparable despite the system

there’s no point in doing a great job of getting the milk and then loosing out by spending too much in other areas if it’s possible to improve something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭50HX

Are the profit monitors & such like not used to show you your profit per hectare?

Regardless of each individual system sure the bottom line is all that matter, this is where comparing different systems then comes into play & make your own call does it justify increase feed,numbers etc

Just a drystock farmer here gazing on the dairy thread here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Best of luck to anyone who uses a profit monitor.

I looked at a few Teagasc published when I started back farming in 2015-16. The ball-park figures in those reports gave me some idea of the lie of the land.

But as the years passed, I realised how different every single farm and every single farmer was/is, and I started to think the averages in the profit monitor reports could be as misleading as they were useful if someone thought they were benchmark numbers for their farm, rather than ballpark numbers from farms run on the lines of official advice.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

What costs are similar ..meal costs differ ..fertiliser will differ ..contracting will differ ..investment ..labour etc …zero point getting hung up on what u think someone else is at improvements year on year inside your own gate all that matters

I still hear pm figures discussed ….but now you mention it can’t say I’ve heard anything this year so after years maby they’ve listened …..I do know our board management determined the trading requirement figure based on profit monitor figures ….it was very vague ….gave a high figure for members to meet and thus at year end a good number of very good lads were relieved of there position

Everything is comparable /litre /cow or /ha

wide variety of farms in the group from guys not long milking cows on converted farms, winter milk herd, share milking, leased farms, fully owned farm

it gives you a good insight as to whether what you’re at is worthwhile the way you’re doing it or should something be changed be that go back cow numbers or stay going as you are

everyone likes the day to day stuff to do with farming but it’s the financial part is where gains can be made quicker imo

for example they all reckoned a zero grazer would have been a good buy if I saved meal and got similar production, so far it’s working out. We’re feeding 3kg meal since late Feb instead of staying on 5-6 kgs like past years and litres going out the gate are the same /cow as this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Had to laugh listening to a teagasc edge podcast where the advisors where horrified at the hired in labour costs on some farms at our above 5 cent a litre, and it needed to be got down....

All well and good if you have access to family labour/placement students to plug the gaps cheap and cheerfully, if not like 90% of farms you have to pay through the nose for labour to give yourself any semblance of a quality of life, instead of working yourself into the ground...

Perfect example here yesterday, spent the day dosing/boulising/vaccinating all stock on the farm, had relief milker in for both milkings and the wife's father for a few hours during the day doing youngstock/dry cows etc, relief milker got 120 euro for the milkings and another 120 euro to the father in law

That’s it in a nutshell ….I don’t loose any sleep over that sort of shite tbh

• Advertisement

I'd say the margins are small between the cost of meal and the capital/running costs of the zero grazer. Every farm is different of course and I suppose if you'd a big tractor and spare labour hanging about it might make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭straight

All those podcasts and teagasc material are just full of dairy heros and blow holes tbh. Lads that are highly profitable and doing it all in a 39 hour week. Fairytale stuff.

If it's not working for you then your doing it wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Beef farmer, ex dairy farmer here. March is always a tough month for dairy farmers, weather this year makes it even worse. Keep the head up, don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. J’s post about it costing €240 a day is an eye opener, but look what you got done. Having everything bolused could save you thousands next spring.

On the profit monitor, I did one for the first time in ages this year. I’m glad I did it, as it showed me that I have turned a corner financially. The good thing about doing it yourself versus getting IFAC to do it is that it makes you more aware of where money goes as you are filling it up. If you leave it to IFAC you tend to just look at the bottom line. As to what teagasc does with the information just make sure that it matches up with what you’re telling the taxman.

I know it’s easy for me to say it, but time is the ultimate commodity, there’s never been anyone in a nursing home who, when asked, if you had your life over again what would you do differently, that said ‘I wish I worked harder’.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Depends how much meal I save really and if I can maintain production with out it

it was either that or make a heap of silage and feed that back out and still feed high meal for our cow type, lot of cost there

i was getting 2 loads in an hour last week. Between that and cows getting out during the day they were fully fed with no silage in the diet

After saving me from having to buy silage aswell

Yeah when you include the silage it starts to add up alright, that's a zero sum bonus as it has to be drawn in one way or another. 2 loads an hour is fair clipping, I was imagining half of that from an outside block.

Nope. About half the space they should have tbh. But they were out during the day and weren’t coming in hungry

my feed space is shared with the cubicles and doubles up as collecting yard for the parlour. What ever can’t eat gets milked and they eat at the end. When all calved I can offer more feed space

Well said blue... do you ever miss the cows. No lad I ever spoke to missed them.

There was some nurse in oz I think that asked thousands of people on their death bed about their biggest regrets. I think it was that they didn't live a life that was true to themselves..... vague I know but thought provoking.

Thankfully I have plenty silage this year. I've been without before and it is quite stressful I think on top of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭ginger22

Can't understand the logic of going out every day to draw a load of wet grass into cows when it could all be done on one day by making silage of it.

As regards the whinging about Teagasc, with the last few years all citizens lives are being dictated by a few "woke" noisy individuals since this "green" agenda took over.

Doesn't matter what walk of life you are from you must conform to the policy.

• Advertisement

100% on the z grazing and wet grass

Advertisement