Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

What costs are similar ..meal costs differ ..fertiliser will differ ..contracting will differ ..investment ..labour etc …zero point getting hung up on what u think someone else is at improvements year on year inside your own gate all that matters

I still hear pm figures discussed ….but now you mention it can’t say I’ve heard anything this year so after years maby they’ve listened …..I do know our board management determined the trading requirement figure based on profit monitor figures ….it was very vague ….gave a high figure for members to meet and thus at year end a good number of very good lads were relieved of there position

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Everything is comparable /litre /cow or /ha

wide variety of farms in the group from guys not long milking cows on converted farms, winter milk herd, share milking, leased farms, fully owned farm

it gives you a good insight as to whether what you’re at is worthwhile the way you’re doing it or should something be changed be that go back cow numbers or stay going as you are

everyone likes the day to day stuff to do with farming but it’s the financial part is where gains can be made quicker imo

for example they all reckoned a zero grazer would have been a good buy if I saved meal and got similar production, so far it’s working out. We’re feeding 3kg meal since late Feb instead of staying on 5-6 kgs like past years and litres going out the gate are the same /cow as this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Had to laugh listening to a teagasc edge podcast where the advisors where horrified at the hired in labour costs on some farms at our above 5 cent a litre, and it needed to be got down....

All well and good if you have access to family labour/placement students to plug the gaps cheap and cheerfully, if not like 90% of farms you have to pay through the nose for labour to give yourself any semblance of a quality of life, instead of working yourself into the ground...

Perfect example here yesterday, spent the day dosing/boulising/vaccinating all stock on the farm, had relief milker in for both milkings and the wife's father for a few hours during the day doing youngstock/dry cows etc, relief milker got 120 euro for the milkings and another 120 euro to the father in law

That’s it in a nutshell ….I don’t loose any sleep over that sort of shite tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I'd say the margins are small between the cost of meal and the capital/running costs of the zero grazer. Every farm is different of course and I suppose if you'd a big tractor and spare labour hanging about it might make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭straight

All those podcasts and teagasc material are just full of dairy heros and blow holes tbh. Lads that are highly profitable and doing it all in a 39 hour week. Fairytale stuff.

If it's not working for you then your doing it wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Beef farmer, ex dairy farmer here. March is always a tough month for dairy farmers, weather this year makes it even worse. Keep the head up, don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. J’s post about it costing €240 a day is an eye opener, but look what you got done. Having everything bolused could save you thousands next spring.

On the profit monitor, I did one for the first time in ages this year. I’m glad I did it, as it showed me that I have turned a corner financially. The good thing about doing it yourself versus getting IFAC to do it is that it makes you more aware of where money goes as you are filling it up. If you leave it to IFAC you tend to just look at the bottom line. As to what teagasc does with the information just make sure that it matches up with what you’re telling the taxman.

I know it’s easy for me to say it, but time is the ultimate commodity, there’s never been anyone in a nursing home who, when asked, if you had your life over again what would you do differently, that said ‘I wish I worked harder’.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Depends how much meal I save really and if I can maintain production with out it

it was either that or make a heap of silage and feed that back out and still feed high meal for our cow type, lot of cost there

i was getting 2 loads in an hour last week. Between that and cows getting out during the day they were fully fed with no silage in the diet

After saving me from having to buy silage aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Yeah when you include the silage it starts to add up alright, that's a zero sum bonus as it has to be drawn in one way or another. 2 loads an hour is fair clipping, I was imagining half of that from an outside block.

Nope. About half the space they should have tbh. But they were out during the day and weren’t coming in hungry

my feed space is shared with the cubicles and doubles up as collecting yard for the parlour. What ever can’t eat gets milked and they eat at the end. When all calved I can offer more feed space

Well said blue... do you ever miss the cows. No lad I ever spoke to missed them.

There was some nurse in oz I think that asked thousands of people on their death bed about their biggest regrets. I think it was that they didn't live a life that was true to themselves..... vague I know but thought provoking.

Thankfully I have plenty silage this year. I've been without before and it is quite stressful I think on top of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Can't understand the logic of going out every day to draw a load of wet grass into cows when it could all be done on one day by making silage of it.

As regards the whinging about Teagasc, with the last few years all citizens lives are being dictated by a few "woke" noisy individuals since this "green" agenda took over.

Doesn't matter what walk of life you are from you must conform to the policy.

100% on the z grazing and wet grass

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

But sure if he was out grazing full time he’d be a great man, the cows are still on a full grass diet with the zero grazer so I’d say leave it play out for the year get the results for production compare them to previous years and cost differences. It might work out well for him and the rest of us might learn something. There’s more than one way to skin a cat and every farm is different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Well you ve some land if you're zero grazing these days.talking to local zero contractor and he has only done 2 full days of this year and the odd couple loads.spitting rain as I write this now

Because paying a contractor to cut 100 acres 4 times is a serious ball of money along with still having to feed high meal

I was fairly glad of the wet grass last week and so were the cows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭green daries

Holy fook stop will ya I'm really really trying to ignore them 2 and a half years of misery.

• Advertisement

Every farm different fully agree ….point I’m making cows are eating wet grass in fields in not obtimal conditions ….then u cut if u can more wet grass ….not good for cow nor production …I used to bit zero grazing spring /autumn ….feed Maize now and really found bales ….different gravey and cows far more content and no hit to production or solids

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Your cows would be higher producing cows and would respond better to maize and other feeds better etc, it will be interesting to see how grass’s cows bred for production off grass will fair out on the zero grazing. What you described works for you would be what I imagine grass would have been doing in previous years from his posts so it’ll be interesting to see after the year which method he reckons gives the better return for his herd. You know what works best for your herd but the cow type on both your farms would be different so interesting to see what works best for two different herd types.

Cow type not that relevant …grasses cows wouldn’t be million miles different to mine production wise …mind are predominantly grass based too but more focus on the all round package from cull cow value calf value and production of milk and solid kg and %

Tbf you wouldn’t be cutting it all 4 times ….be very interesting to get an honest assessment at end of year on the z grazing from you

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyways scanned autumn calvers this morning. Had a cow stuck in the cubicles this morning, first in 4 years in new cubicle shed. Fencing man said everyone has cancelled him as it's too wet to drive posts. He's fencing around new set up here for letting cows out

Do you not have a fusion baler, for doing your own silage

I do but I wouldn’t dream of making all my silage in bales. 2 cuts in the pit and bale for the rest of the year is the plan. It’ll most likely be the first machine sold if dad gave up doing tractor work too

baler will be useful with the zero grazer to take out grass that’s gone strong ahead of cows or the grazer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

or you could say if you had cows out on this type of grass, you would be bringing them in early to give them a bale of silage and an extra pull of nuts during milking. The water content in the grass would be through the roof and im sure grasstomilk has left the option of silage/maize to cows aswell.

Will you be dropping out maize/whole-crop going forward and basically be back to grass on all your grazing ground and support blocks?

• Advertisement

Still going to grow 10 acres of maize. It is a great boost in energy November and spring for fresh calvers

Advertisement