Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I used it for the first time yesterday. The machine states that the can just be in perfect condition yet I heard my can getting crushed to smithereens 1 second after it took my can... What the ****?

I'm hardly going back into Frank & Honest with a voucher for 15c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have to be in sufficiently good condition to read the barcode - which can be pretty badly battered. They say perfect to stop people arguing that the crushed disc of aluminium they found on the road is a can they should get the deposit back on.

They are then crushed/shredded for storage space reasons

Just use the voucher next time you shop if you don't want to get cash back there and then.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"They say perfect to stop people arguing that the crushed disc of aluminium they found on the road is a can they should get the deposit back on."

Removing those cans from existence was pretty much the reason given for this scheme to be enacted.

But now we have people who consider it their right to litter because they have already paid the "tax" to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I was going to post similar about my own local Aldi. Smooth and painless any time I've used it. No issue using vouchers either.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

used an RVM today and had no issues with the machine itself, did have an issue with staff being nosey making comments and first asking do i not have any shopping, and then after responding to that following up with asking me why am i not buying any shopping with it. No queue behind me or anything, i guess they just wanted more money for the shop or something.

The responses i gave were pretty comedic and trolly in nature, not sure if they'd be allowed to be posted here on the boards so i'm not risking saying it and will let the readers imagination run wild and speculate on it however they see fit.

i will say this though, with all the practice i'm getting using the machines and faults im discovering on certain kinds of machines, re-turn should be paying me.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

They kind of are paying you. Although you deserve a bonus for what you are doing to their figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

True! well other people's deposits are paying me, with the bulk of them coming from 1 person lol.

What i'm doing to their figure is fattening them up XD i'm spending so much time returning bottles and cans that i'm almost starting to believe that the machines are more human than the people who made the scheme lol.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Archeron

If, as mentioned above, not all (or at least the vast vast majority) of consumers are aware of this new scheme at this stage, then thats another huge failure plonked squarely on Return.

Of course whether people know about it or not, Return are still hoovering up everybody's money while doing terrible environmental damage, causing cost of living to rise and reducing consumer choice with products that will withdraw from the Irish market. Oh, and lost revenue to Irish retailers with people heading north again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bog master

Posted a good while back how my waste company has raised prices. Looking online for a new contract per se, mine is not quite up yet. Some posters were saying you cannot link the increase in rates to the new ReTurn system which skims all the aluminium from recycle bins. It was further suggested one needs to ask the waste company if that is the case. So phone in hand, rang the company. Directed to various different people as no one seemed to know what to say or who to put me on to. Eventually got to a "sales executive". Asked point blank,are the rate increases at least partially attributable to the fact they will be collecting less aluminium from householders. He demurred and deflected with rising costs and inflation. So, I said give me a straight answer or I will not renew my contract. Straight up now, are the price increases primarily due to this new ReTurn system, bit of silence then " I would not argue with that".

Said thanks, I will renew for six months and review the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What you did there was push a customer service agent beyond the scope of their script, and got instead their own personal opinion and not that of their company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Genghis

I am more than happy to clarify, 80% is my estimate, as I said upfront. To my knowledge, there is no public source for the number of items on which deposits are charged ( I read that re-turn may report collection rate %s after 31 March).

I linked in my post yesterday an earlier post where I checked out Dunnes Stores to see how many items deposits were being charged.  I checked 174 items across multiple categories and brands, and 78% had deposit. This was 2 weeks ago, if I check again today [which I might do later] I am certain it will be more than 80%. Producers / Wholesalers / Importers / Cash and Carry outlets are already legally prohibited from selling anything that is not logoed / barcoded for the scheme.

Nobody else on here has provided any data at all in relation to this number - certainly nothing close to my analysis - I would welcome any such source of data and am more than happy to be corrected with credible info. Nobody else on here has challenged my numbers at all - @Red Silurian you are the only one.

You are entitled to the guess you posted earlier today @Red Silurian (and the 5% estimate you posted on 8 March), but I am afraid there is absolutely no way the number of items sold per day is still around 0.5m-1.0m (10-20% of items sold).

What would you suggest then in how to get a response to my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's an interesting story but not the conclusive proof we need that DRS is part of the reason bin charges are going up.

Consumers are entitled to know exactly how much of the bin charge increases are due to DRS.

Hey, I was asked to contact the waste company and query it. I did so, take it from there.

It is laughable that anyone thinks the 15c deposit is some kind of "licence to litter".

They are just doing wrong and they know it.

You won't get one. No company is going to reveal how it calculates its cost structure to a random customer.

They may announce it in a press release if they feel there's a value in doing so

Not arguing with you at all, fair play for having a go.

Like you I think we deserve to know the truth in the interests of transparency.

If the companies are increasing charges they should be able to publish the reasons.

In all fairness, they are a business and only beholden to their customers. If they wish to keep this sort of information, ahh "in house" I don't blame them.

To get a straight answer to that question I reckon would be an impossibility. Most companies increasing prices explain it away in broad brushstrokes, but in this instance, it's not rocket science that they will see a decrease in aluminium in the recycle bins they collect and RePak and ReTurm both acknlowedge aluminium is the cherry and PET is at the bottom of the scale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's incorrect to say all aluminium has been skimmed from recycling bins, only aluminium drinks containers have been taken out of the mix

Inflation wouldn't be caused by the scheme. Somebody working for a bin company probably defaults to thinking the scheme is a bad idea. Your experience is more proof of why bin collection services in this country need to be re-nationalised.

I was in a Number21 off licence last weekend and didn't see any of all the crafty stuff having a deposit applied or re-turn logo. The macro stuff from diageo etc was all in-scope

Likewise I appreciate that you are entitled to your opinion and I accept that there is nothing officially said at this point about the figures discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Woodcutting

I bought an 8 pack soft drink 5.50 and they charged 15 cent for the return but the bottles don't have the return logo. And why 15 cent, isn't it 15 cent on each bottle 380 ml?

I bought the same one last week and the return machine would be take it but wasn't charged the extra 15 cent

If the items are in scope; which they can be without the logo, you should have been charged 1.20 (and got it back when returned). If you get 1.20 back on this, oh well; if you don't get anything back and can be bothered chasing the shop for it, you are entirely in the right to do so.

There are plenty of shops that aren't doing their part of this properly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You mean the poster got the truth rather than the company PR spin.

This scheme needs revamping badly already, even Joe Duffy is putting in the boot.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with it as an additional collection facility but poorly thought out and not integrated into existing scheme. Retailers don't like it, smaller manufacturers don't like it, the public don't care for it. We have a couple receipts here flittering about and like the shop coupons, will likely be lost before being redeemed for their few cent. Strong smell of an additional tax about whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, the CSR would not have access to that level of data and information needed to decipher what the reasons for the change were, so they were giving their own personal opinion which is worth about as much as yours or mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

:) Any decent sales employee worth having knows the basic nuts and bolts of the business model. There is such thing too as internal informal communication in companies. People talk to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There are plenty of shops that aren't doing their part of this properly at all.

It's not the shops fault, the rules of the game were changed 48 hours before it began.

It was done so to save Re-Turns arsé not for the benefit of retailers or consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭jj880

Does the re-turn.ie map show any distinction between manual return only locations and locations with RVMs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Woodcutting

In scope means the machine should accept them? I tried one, it didn't.

And I can't figure out a deposit of 15 cents rather than the 1.20 you mention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement