Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Your provider needs to request the meter from esbn. Who are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

On the subject of smart meters, can I slip in a quick question on this...

I know of someone who got talked into activating their smart meter a few days ago - does the usual '14 day cooling off' period apply to smart meter activations to allow folk to change their minds? I'm guessing not, from all the previous discussion on the subject...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭bromley52

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have posted this before but for anyone new to the thread- if you dont want ESB Networks to install a smart meter then you need to email esbnetworks@esb.ie and state your MPRN number & address in the email and say that you do not consent have a smart meter installed. From there ESB Networks will email you back confirming that you have been removed from the smart meter rollout. This is the email I received back

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm your MPRN is no longer included in our current meter replacement plan. ESB Networks will inform your electricity supply company of your preference.

Please be advised, if you wish to avail of smart services (time-of-use tariffs or the electrification of heat & transport) available from your energy supply company, or to take part in any future micro-generation scheme launched by the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications, that you will require a smart meter.

Further, our replacement meter stock is now comprised of smart meters, so please be aware that if your current meter: develops a fault, or you wish to relocate it, or if for any other reason a new meter is required then a smart meter will be installed.

If you have further queries, or would like to be re-included in our plans for a free smart meter upgrade, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Please contact me again if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Tanya

ESB Networks Customer Care | T: 1800372757 | +353 21 2386555 | F: +353 21 4844261 www.esbnetworks.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just in the middle of switching from the BWG Community deal to the BWG Affinity one and there is a box entitled 'Promotional Code'- do I need a code to get the deal or can I leave this blank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I am a low user (1200kw p.a)

I was doing calculations on the BWG Flogas offer v 24% off electric deals with BG/EI.

BWG works out more expensive for me than EI/BG. Also, with the fixed up unit rate there would be upside for future reductions over BH/EI.

No doubt BWG offer offers immediate savings and price certainty for high users. However, a further 5% (approx) eduction in rates over 12mths will see the savings reduced or eliminated*. Add in break fees to switch to another provider and it may work out more expensive. (*Calculation ased on 5,000kw p.a)

Summary: establish your annual use and do your calculations before committing to a 12mth fix.

That's a bit overkill, there's nothing wrong with having a smart meter it can actually be useful in obtaining your usage data making it easier to decide which plans suit your individual circumstances. This data is available from the esbn site and the meter doesn't need to be activated. I have noticed an easing of the massive price jump between the day and peak rates.

How is bwg more expensive? Higher standing charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Yes. Just use the renew links posted previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Am I reading your yearly useage right 1200 .I know I'm an outlier but I'd be happy to use that amount monthly.How do you manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Simples. Switch off everything not in use, and only use what you need when you need it. Have A++ rated appliances. Not difficult. My annual usage is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

yeah i thought i was doing well with 2532.05Kwh pa

Post edited by OmegaGene on

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭bromley52

Switching off electronics every night will reduce their life expectancy and end up costing you more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

2532.05kW ? You must have blown the local grid

From one outlier to another 😄

My current annual usage is probably closer to 1100. I don't really track it month to month. Note I heat by gas, no solar panels.

As @zell12 says, only using whats needed and when needed, LED bulbs, not leaving things on standby overnight.

I dont agree switching electronic devices off reduces life expectancy. It may be so, but I have not experienced it.

It is actually good electrical safety practice to fully power off appliances such as washing machine, TV etc when not in use. At the start of the energy crisis it was also high on the energy saving tips too., not to mention environmental/climate

As the UK tv advert goes, "The greenest energy is the energy you don't use". Wise words

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

I think the 80 - 20 rule probably applies and the key with reducing usage is to focus on the meter spinners, like electric heaters (even storage heaters), cookers, tumble dryers, and even inefficient fridge-freezers. It's interesting to note that some low electricity users probably have gas cookers or gas/oil heating while others may not etc.

💚 Waterpower VTM D/N for February fell to 22.3/12.9 +vat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just out of contract with Energia but can't seem to sign up to their D/N rate online anymore. I sent them a message but does anyone have a way to do it? I can find the tarriff here : https://www.energia.ie/about-energia/our-tariffs

but when I go to look for signing up they only offer the 24 hour rate or smart meter rates

Try https://switchto.energia.ie/MyPlanDetails or sign via www.powertoswitch.ie or www.switcher.ie or www.bonkers.ie

• Advertisement

It’s utterly pointless reading the low energy users here. We don’t know how many people they live with. The size of their dwelling. How often they are in it. If they WFH. The heating etc.

Plugging out your devices at night has very little effect on your overall bill. The current draw to keep things on standby can effectively be ignored. It’s not why their usage is low. If they are doing that, they are likely doing a lot of other things to keep their usage low.

This is going off topic but I must respond to your post. Did you read my post? How is it pointless?

Please note, I declared I heated with Gas. I cook with electric. The purpose of my initial post was to state the lowest unit rate (BWG) is not necessarily the cheapest deal. Thats all. Someone then asked me how it's so low.

I am not trying to do comparisons with others. Thats just my use, for my needs and lifestyle.

There are two people at home, sometimes three. Two bed apt. My usage would not be any less with one person and possibly marginally more with three. My use went up to 1250 with 5 day WFH. I now WFH 3 days and use dropped to 1100kw.

For the BWG rate, the standing charge is almost €100 more than BG. That difference will buy a lot of electricity (approx 350kw at .28c) For very low users it's not the cheapest, but is a great deal of you are a high one.

The cheapest for me is actually Airtricity with a big unit rate but €200 welcome bonus. Thats real savings to me, but not everyone.

From my perspective, its possible for practically everyone, no matter what their circumstances or use, to reduce energy use on core energy (light/laundry/entertainment devices (i.e. not leaving TV on if not watching it) and save money in the process.

Many people just focus on its cost, and obviously want to get it cheaper. Some overlook real savings also available to them in terms of how they use energy.

I never disagreed with your statement that the BWG plan isn’t the cheapest for everyone. Of course it’s not. The high standing charge has a bigger impact.

Comparing energy usage is **** pointless. There are too many variables. Turning off your washing machine at night isn’t the reason. It’s not a “real saving”, it’s negligible and pretty much irrelevant.

Again, I was not comparing. Where do you get that from? My post was about getting the best deal for my use.

I never said turning off a washing machine at night is a panacea for savings. All appliances and devices not in use will aggregate up to real savings. As will being smart as to how they are used

For example

I know people that wash one or two small items at a time for no reason. Thats avoidable. As is boiling a full kettle for one cup of tea etc.

I am not advocating no waste, just reducing it.

I also didn’t reply to your first post. I actually responded to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

I did this last year, probably on the advice of this thread, and just looked back on the email... Additional part in the email I received, re changing provider, not sure if/how its relevant -

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm your MPRN is no longer included in our current meter replacement plan. ESB Networks will inform your electricity supply company of your preference. If you change your supplier, please note you will need to renew your objection with your new Supplier...

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Can confirm. I switched to flogas and almost immediately got a letter saying I would be 'upgraded' to a smart meter. ESB said you have to redo opt out it every time you move suppliers. Though I suspect TLI will never find me anyway since ESB have the wrong eircode 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭reggie3434

What’s wrong with thr smart meters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

For the past while the rates have not been competitive. Higher than non active smart meter rates.

Advertisement