Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why no Ringrose? It makes no sense not to get him up to speed!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Rumors on another thread that Pat McCarthy has signed a development contract!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would have a problem with it. He has nowhere near the level of fitness required to play Leinster's game, even for 20 minutes.

Good for him! Didn't know Henshaw got married. Congrats to him and the missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We should steer well clear of Moore.

Don't think he can be relied upon to even give 20 minutes off the bench.

So..... Archer it is....

Just realized there's no Ben Murphy. I wonder.... Is he Ulster bound?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Listening to the RTE Rugby podcast and they were talking about the Tupou situation. Jackman made a good point that in 2008, after years of knocking on the door in Europe, the Leinster board got sick of losing that in one off season they brought in CJ Van Der Linde, Rocky Elsom and Isa Nacewa. He mentioned that while Leinster are hardly underachievers, the signing of Snyman could be a sign that Leinster are going to go all out to get over the line again.

I wouldn't be shocked if Leinster got Tupou and I also wouldn't be shocked if they brought in a scrum half because there is rumors that McGraths contract might not get renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

where are you getting that rumour from?

• Advertisement

Isn't McGrath on a 2 year deal that he signed last year?

He signed a contract extension two years ago. So he is coming up for renewal at the end of the year.

thats not correct, he signed a contract last season.

JGP signed a contract on 2022 and is out this season.

If that is the case fair enough but I saw a twitter post from Leinsters twitter page 2 years ago saying he signed a new deal. He has mentioned himself in the past not ruling out representing Canada in the future if Irish consideration isn't available to him. Plus there were murmurs last year when Dave Kearney went over to America that McGrath could join. It is just a rumor and is probably just chatter but I could very easily see Leinster go in a different direction if Luke has shown signs of decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conquestscarer

What Scrum Half would we even sign? I doubt we promote Foley considering his injury record. Murphy has looked good but not sure he is ready for the next level next year. Gunne looks 2 years off and is only starting to see gametime.

Would love to see Arata signed, would probably tick all the boxes as a player who is an all rounder, not going to be away on international duty, and is utter class from what I've seen of him. That said moving from the south of France to Dublin might be a tough sell to an Uruguayan Spanish speaker(I Presume).

Looking at other 6 nations teams I don't think it's a particular position of strength for countries right now( bar us and France). Could be missing out on a few obvious names but seems a difficult position for us at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Could always sign Doak

I've no idea honestly, scrum half is the only position outside of Tighthead where I have some concern. I think Leinster have sufficient depth at virtually every position where they wouldn't crumble if hit by injuries. I used to say that if JGP was injured, the gulf in talent wasn't so different between JGP and McGrath, but the gulf is widening and McGrath's injury history the last while concerns me. The first person that came to mind as a player to gulf between now and when Gunne takes over was Cobus Reinach but I didn't realise he was 34 and is under contract until 2025. Then my mind jumped to Kieran Marmion just for extra depth. Proper speedster and reliable but apart from his speed, he isn't that much different or better than McGrath so I have no idea.

I reckon McGrath will sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Mentioned him before, but Raffi Quirke of Sale is Irish eligible through a grandparent and very young at 22.

He has close to 50 senior appearances at scrum half for them, as well as two England caps which he got as a teenager (the three year stand down period ends in November).

Haven’t seen loads of him, but has looked good when I have seen him play, and was obviously considered good enough for England at one point. We wouldn’t have first dibs on him if he was interested but doesn’t feel like Munster need him with Casey in situ, so we’d have a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

McGrath would be an incredible pickup for an MLR team. He obviously has his limitations at the highest level but he is an absolutely phenomenal competitor and the type of character you could build a budding franchise around. I think he would count as a domestic player there if he has a Canadian passport too.

• Advertisement

I was hoping Ben Murphy would kick on. I really don't think Foley is the answer. If Richie Murphy does get the full time position with the wildlings, both Murphy's could heading north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Assuming Byrne goes (which i haven't really seen any rumblings about either way) that would be 5 contracted looseheads? That's nuts even for leinster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Someone like Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Be a bit of a waste of a scrumhalf spot relative to quality.

Someone like Perenara could be a better shout - considering he's arguably fallen behind Roigard and Fakatava in the AB set up

porter(28), milne(25), boyle(22), mccarthy(21).

My bad, i was assuming Healy is coming back. I might have missed an announcement or rumor on that.

Dude is a cheat code at his height and weight, with those ball skills and power. Crazy upgrade for leinster there. Have to admire the push to get in elite niqs and win.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnh6767

Gunne is on tonight, he’s already likely ahead of both, certainly on natural talent, well able for this level if given game time and assuming he has a high work ethic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Looking forward to seeing Andrew Osborne and Diarmuid Mangan make their debuts. Mangan especially looks to have that extra bit of athleticism that stands out. Hopefully Leinster build a decent lead and we can bring him in early.

I've been very impressed with Jamie Osborne since his return from injury. Took no time at all for him to get back to match sharpness. Very talented player and will have a long Ireland career if he can stay injury free. Given Leinsters injuries in the back line I think he's likely to be names at 23 for the Leicester game. No issues at all with that.

Advertisement