Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

So it’s exactly like the world class debate with added tribalism then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Are some unhappy utd are no longer considered in that tier or what's the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's usually a few more days into the international break before it drives people mental, must be all the rain.🤣

Nobody mentioned United once until you came along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

At this stage the rain would drive anyone mental😫😫😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Jaysus I wish the internationals were done and dusted so this nonsense would stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

So whats everyones prediction for the title race.

For me as an Arsenal fan I (blindly) see us getting a draw next weekend, upsetting the odds and not losing another league game.

Final Table

1. Arsenal
    2. City
    3. Pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

City/Pool/Arsenal.

I can’t see Arsenal maintaining enough wins, on paper they have the toughest run-in with a small enough squad, especially if they stay in the CL.

Pool have players coming back and will be able to rotate more, but they’re pretty profligate in front of goal so can see them dropping unexpected points.

After the Arsenal game, I can see City winning the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Advertisement

It's interesting that you say Liverpool are profligate in front of goal, as it's something I wouldn't have attributed to the squad myself. Yes, there are some games where they seem to fluff their chances but they generally create a lot of chances to be fair. I think it's only 1 game they have failed to score in, in all comps, all season. I know that they scored their 100th goal of the season, all comps, in early March which is a bit mad.

Arsenal are top scorers in the league alright, but they had a few months where they couldn't score at all which is finely balanced with their scoring form before the break. I wonder did the break come at the wrong time for them or will they use the break like they did in January to re-charge?

Man City just know how to control games after taking an early lead. There's been so many examples where they play a game on the run in, take a lead after 5 mins or 8 mins etc and just see the game out. They don't really need to go chasing big goal hauls to win games, but they can if needed.

Wikipedia have total goals scored from the 3 teams as Arsenal 90, Man City 110, Liverpool 120. One of the reasons why Arsenal have a lower total is because they have completely thrown the cups this season. This has helped them in January -> March as they didn't have the fixture build up that the other clubs have had and have more rest time between games. The Gabriel / Saka / Haaland 'injuries' are nicely timed ones ahead of that big clash on the return. It'll be interesting to see if Arteta goes for control or try hit City on the break with their pace and explosiveness. It's a big test for him. Because of the way the table lies, I think Pep will try win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

But Atletico haven't been close to the winners in the last couple of seasons. Same applies to Juventus. So they've dropped out if we are being strict about it.

Personally I'm if the opinion that the big six in the Premier league, the big three in La Liga, Bayern Dortmund in the Bundesliga, Inter Milan and Juventus in Serie A and PSG are all top tier clubs. Some might not be contending right now for league titles but that happens, money makes a difference and head coaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Technically Big/Top 6 is actually a thing for TV purposes - calculated over cumulative finishing positions in the previous 5 seasons. Only one Big 6 fixture can take place on a game week, and there must be one such fixture in each of the midweek rounds that are exclusive to TNT or Amazon. City, Pool, MUFC, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea are the current 6, with Chelsea at risk of dropping out in the calculations at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup, that sounds about right to me, and maybe even being a little generous.

Top tier, for me, should be just that - the top.

In this conversation, I also don’t care about legacy. All that matters is who’s right up there right now. So I’d include Leverkusen right now, in the same way I’d have included Napoli last year. Barca are on thin ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

It will be interesting to see how Arsenal do after last season. I think it helped them being a bit behind and after the Pool win they have been flying. For me the question is whether they have the mental strength to kick on now that they are top of the league. Huge for them as their age profile of their core players means a title win could start a possible period of winning trophies again. If they fall away, it will only make it harder to get that title in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sorry but wtf has West Ham got to do with spurs?

Spurs are a top six side side for 13 out of the last 15 league seasons.

West ham are a skid mark from last year.

No comparison.

Absolute nonsense going on in this thread- West Ham lol 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How many trophies have Spurs got in those last 15 years?

What’s it to you? How many times have spurs qualified for the champions league or got to the CL final?

You’re a pool fan right?

It's a public forum so I'm free to ask the question and I've asked a very simple question. It doesn't matter who I support.

I've looked it up there anyway and Spurs have won zero trophies in that time so I think it's a bit ridiculous to be calling West Ham a skid mark. They've had more success than Spurs in that 15 year time period you mentioned.

At the end of the day the whole point of professional soccer is to compete for and hopefully win trophies. There's only so many opportunities every year so to actually win one is commendable.

• Advertisement

lol! Ah go on! Tell us who ya support!

Bit silly calling spurs a mid tier side and comparing them to WH when spurs have been one of the top six sides in the top league in the world 13 times out of 15 years!

Lol you’re making a show of yourself and I’m not sure why lad?

What deep ingrained resentment have you got against spurs?

Someone forgot to have their weetabix this morning.......

Jesus lad you seem unhinged if you're getting this upset. I never mentioned that Spurs were a mid tier side. I asked how many trophies had Spurs won over the last 15 years when you referred to West Ham as a skid mark.

I'll say it again just so we're clear here.

West Ham have won more trophies in the last 15 years than Spurs. That's simple fact and the aim of the game is to win trophies.

lol unhinged 😂😂

Ah fella I’ll leave ya to your infantile wind up projects.

Go back to supporting your own team and don’t worry about anyone else- there’s a good fella

I'm not trying to wind anyone up, wasn't my intention at all. Apologies if I've upset you though, like I said it wasn't my intention 👍

Sure dude- enjoy your Friday night, I’d recommend a nice cold pilsner for chilling out.

I detest Spurs as an Arsenal fan but there is no question that they absolutely are a top 6 side.

Also am actually enjoying a Pilsner Urquel right now

God I hate arsenal but I love a pilsner.

Whats an urquel may I ask? I’m about to head to the off licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

With how wasteful people think Liverpool are they still have scored 120 goals this season so far, imagine if Nunez was not as wasteful

• Advertisement

The name of the Czech beer.

To be fair it's got to from a tap, especially if they have a tank in the pub.

I saw that comment earlier and couldn't believe it but then saw they have scored in Europa League almost like Arsenal since Winter break in league.

Impressive stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Not sure why you're bringing Arsenal or Man United into the conversation.

Arsenal have always been a bigger, more successful club than Spurs. Look at their trophy haul over the last 25 years.

Man United pulling out of the FA Cup has to be looked at through the lens of winning the treble the previous season.

Why do you have your back up over Spurs, are you a supporter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Europa Conference is the most Mickey Mouse of trophies. It was invented a few years ago as a sop to keep the East European teams busy, so they wouldn't have time to worry about the profitable real business of the Champions League.

All competitions are there to be won, but for one of the richest clubs in World Football easily top 20, {who were basically handed a free 60k stadium) to be celebrating it like it's something big is frankly fvckin embarrassing, as is anyone using it to claim West Ham are bigger club than Spurs.(BTW,i have a certain fondness for West Ham, I lived in Newham for a while, so I'm not really down on them)

It was just winding up for the sake of winding up followed by mock apology

Not sure where ya get the Eastern European thing from - they may have a slightly larger presence there by dint of their standing, but it is what it is, a 3rd tier European competition. Which is a good thing to have, cause everyone loves being able to play club matches internationally. And just like the other 2 tiers above it, it's dominated by the main Western European leagues - the winners coming from just England and Italy so far, with another Italian runner up, and a Dutch runner up (and the favourites for this year right now are another English side, and another Italian side).

No harm celebrating it, it's still certainly an achievement in its own right, and imo it's a good addition to the football landscape to see some different teams facing off in European competition.

• Advertisement

Would the Europa Conference not be the equivalent of the old Cup winners Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hard to say as Cup winners from the bigger nations still go into the Europa League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think anyone was claiming that West Ham were a bigger club than Spurs, just that West Ham have won more silverware than Spurs over the last 15 years.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, West Ham, Swansea, Birmingham, Leicester and Wigan have all won more trophies than Spurs over the last 15 years. 10 clubs.

Spurs, given their claimed standing as a big six club, are by far the greatest underachievers over the last 15 years.

Those are the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Spurs haven't won the tier 3 competition because they haven't played in it,they have been on the Europa /Uefa and more usually in the Champions League.

West Ham have a lot of money and a lot of talent but little ambition, and while it's nice to finally win something, for a club of their resources it's no big deal, and their ambition shouldn't be sated by it.

I'll never understand the notion of fans turning their nose up at European (or domestic) trophies myself.

There aren't many trophies that clubs can actually win, and most are out of the reach of many clubs. No offence to West Ham but the league title is not exactly on their radar so they went and won one of the trophies that are on their radar. And the deservedly celebrated it. Spurs aren't in any European competition this season, so they can't exactly talk. I remember a few years ago, a friend who supported Everton used to call the Europa League "a distraction" and this was relayed by Man Utd fans at the time. Looking down on the Europa League like It was dirt. It was a chance for Everton to win a trophy like come on! Man Utd later won it and heralded it. Is it an expectation thing? Maybe. It's it partly snobbery? Maybe.

I want Liverpool to win the Europa this season. I always have. I think it's a fun competition, when done correctly and you avoid that knockout round in between stages. Obviously it's the Champions League but you play the hand you're dealt. Much like the League Cup being a lot more fun than the FA cup in my eyes. In the early stages you get to see some new players, check out the kids and the pressure levels aren't as high. Then as the latter rounds come up, it's about winning only. Whereas in the PL & CL, you're in 'winning mode' from minute 1 of game 1. Any small slip up throughout the whole season can cost you. High pressure games at all times.

What's better? Winning the Europa League and having a big party with your friends/fellow fans or finishing 2nd in the group stage and getting knocked out of the CL at the first knockout round 5 years in a row? I know that clubs owners and financeers will put more weight behind the business value of the latter but as fans what is better?

In an era where Man City are hoovering up trophies domestically, and even if those trophy wins get annulled as voided, you have to take every chance you can get as fans don't get many days out celebrating trophy wins.

Just my 2c.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. My biggest moment of pure joyous footballing emotion and catharsis this season so far was Van Dijk's last minute winner in the League Cup. Yeah it's not the biggest competition in the world, but man was that a hell of a moment, and a hell of a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I want my club to win trophies and the last number of years there seems to be more focus on a top 4 finish than a domestic trophy.

Finishing 2nd-4th is not winning something, this year it will be top 5 and there could be 10 teams from the PL in Europe, in another few years all the flaming clubs in the PL might be in Europe:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The FA Cup was everything when I was a kid

just a good run at it when there was never a hope of winning anything else

top six finish or actual silverware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nah you're right any trophy won is worth celebrating.. well Community Shield perhaps the one exception 🤣

The three tiers of European competitions all have the same problem and it's going to be even worse next season in that the group stages are incredibly boring. It doesn't get interesting until the knock out stages, and sometimes not even until the last 8 unless your own team is in it.

If they truly wanted to bring back a proper feel making one or two of them knock outs from the beginning would be a welcome change imo. Of course the clubs wouldn't agree to it as it would mean less games and hence less revenue but it would give a sense of danger at most stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Looks like the new ownership of Everton is set to be approved which from the outside looks like a disaster of a thing to happen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ha, of course they've played in the tier 3 competition. And they made a mess of it, getting knocked out in the group stages while being beaten by a team that were knocked out of Europe by St. Pat's the following year.

Quite bizarre to hear football fans try to say that not winning trophies is better than winning them. Not sure if they're trying to convince only themselves or what, but it's very odd.

Who has said that?

Pretty strange outlook tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I used to love FA cup final day as a kid I was glued to the TV all day. Champs leage money took over and now it's the consolation prize cup. When mid table prem league teams and championship teams started fielding weak teams it was game over. I'd be filthy if i was a fan of one of those teams and see them not taking it seriously. A decent run keeps the season interesting FFS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Plenty of your own club's support from experience. And as evidenced in this very thread, certain fans seem to think that celebrating a trophy is somehow embarrassing.

So what trophies should we be winning? You say that we're in the top 20 richest clubs in the world, yet neglect to clarify that 7 clubs higher up in that list are in the Premier League. So we're not exactly going to be favourites for any of the English competitions. We were in the Conference League last year (which, by your own ranking of English clubs should be out of our reach) and ended up winning our first trophy in over 40 years. So why the fcuk shouldn't we celebrate it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement