Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Woodcutting

I will be on to their head office Monday asking what happen if I steal 15 cent off them. It's borderline criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

2nd go at this today. I had a dozen or so bottles. The machine took 4 of them and would take no more.

Success rate at Deposit Return Scheme so far 0/2. 0%.

This needs to be dumped into landfill alongside the water meters and e-voting machines.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you paid by card advise them to bring up the details of the transaction. Fair play for standing your ground for this one. Not many would and it is blatant theft

I didn't pay by card. It is theft. It is the principle I object to. Be a big deal if I took 15 cent off them

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bog master

Maybe we should start demanding our full change ie when items are .99 cent and they don't issue any change.

• Advertisement

Don't they round up and round down? If petrol is 30.02 I pay 30

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe we start demanding the full return of deposits that Return have, that can't be redeemed for some reason or another. It's their baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bog master

True, but messing with pennies is a pain in the arse for them.

As Tommy Cooper used to say "it's not the principle it's the money"

Just tried one of the smaller machines in a petrol station. Put one bottle in:

“can’t read barcode.”

I reached in and turned it around - wasn’t too keen to try this as it wasn’t clear if there were moving belts or not. Didn’t seem to have any moving parts tho.

”Channel is blocked”

The machine continues to seem to be working just won’t accept any new bottles. Isn’t shut down.

They seem really fiddly to deal with. Rather poor experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It should reverse it back to you if it can't read it

If you put your hand in while it was trying to do that it likely went in to a safety shutdown

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It didn’t do anything at all. The machine just didn’t work. First bottle just sat there, with a message about clearing the channel or something and to place the barcode up.

They’re wasn’t any obvious mechanism. Looked more like a simple chute

Green bin from now on. Second time this has happened. I don’t usually have enough bottles and cans to make this worthwhile tbh. It’s a load of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Just came from Lidl after regaining €8 back from deposit return. Gotta say I’m very surprised how easy & straight forward the process was.

You just line the barcode upwards and place 2/3rds of the can into the machine. The belt drags it into the machine and does the rest (totting up the € credit)

You simply retrieve the voucher out of the machine and purchase something. I bought something for €1.30 and they gave change in cash of €6.70.

easy stuff altogether (I originally had visions of it being a nightmare complicated mess)

This was a total mess. I tried it again and got it to read 2 bottles of 10. You had to wave the bottle around and then put it over to the left side and wiggle it and then it eventually opened a drop chute.

There is no belt in this. The user has to line up the barcode.

Clearly a few models out there but this version is not good. They’re the size of an ATM.

It’s obviously a cheap model. A good 20 seconds of fiddling around rearranging each bottle and it didn’t seem to want to read anything.

Whatever’s going on those very basic machines will give the scheme a very poor rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭StevenToast

First time using this today...can of coke....i was impressed by the speed of it..spent my 15c in the dunnes....

It is a ballache but i will hold final judgement for another few months....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yeah indeed! i have a feeling these "very basic machines" are deliberate by the store owners who really dont want to be part of the return scheme but could not get exemption from it so by legal requirement did everything they were required to do (example getting a machine and having it powered up) and whatever else is needed, but deliberately to the bare minimum and with the cheapest machine possible as they don't intend on actually getting money back from it or partaking in the scheme half assedly only. And then when they don't reach their threshhold for recycle targets reached in year 1 2 and 3, they get the free €3000, 2000, and 1000 respectively from re-turn.

Dealz have a simular situation, been to 5 deals stores and all of their machines are turned on but not working either apparently. It seems to be a decision by the head of whatever store/branch decides. or if it has an independent owner. its essentially reluctantly partaking in the scheme and doing it all in bad faith just to keep the law off of their back.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

I was told by a lad fixing a machine, if they are out of order for 48 hours the cashier is required to accept returns and give the refund.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But why would the machines ever be out of action was stated firmly on the thread... dismissing concerns raised by posters about bringing items back on foot only for the machines to be out of order.

Those posts aged well.

I guess we must have copied that from Germany or not ironed it out in the conjob consultation. If the machines work elsewhere why wouldnt they work here...

Those posts aged well also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

yeah, basically we copied the idea from germany but not the machines. As was shown on this thread we only got to have the single container 1 by 1 (1 at a time) machine that germany has next to their real machines, mainly for the purpose of accepting the rejects that did'nt work first in the first machine. (first machine being a big washing machine looking yoke where people can empty entire bags of cans and bottles into the machine).

We seriously can't expect to get the same results when we don't even have the same technology.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

Thats interesting, i'm wondering if that is in writing anywhere online. i've already reported 2 different stores for not correctly taking part in the scheme and forcing people to spend it in their stores instead of giving refunds. But return never responded and that has been just over 2 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Has anyone noticed when you use a voucher out the machine in Tesco it ****s with your bank card?

Twice now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭jj880

If theres anyone to ask its probably you. What retailer has the best machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The card takes 3-4 goes to accept, might be a coincidence but it’s odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,917 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

60,000 aluminum cans in a ton. What is someone baled a ton of them, would they still get the 0.15 deposit for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maybe you need to scan the voucher before going to pay now.

Got a few more to return this week - will try!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement