Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Wow, what a very very different country Poland is to previous visits! Just wow! Streamlined efficiency, disciplined driving, modernity.

Nice flight, was in middle seat between two Poles, a lad and a lass. Lad into videoing take-off etc, lass brought her own four delicious four course dinner in board. Got up to go to the jax, no turbulence but took a mad tumble due to my poor balance, was ricocheted harmlessly between people who temporarily caught me until I got steadied, although one pax almost flattened by me.

Wheelchair assistant by steps told me my luggage was still in Doobalin, would be couriered to hotel tomorrow. Same happened last time I flew into Poland in late 1990s, but a very different story of gross lack of communication and inefficiency then. And insane drivers, multiple accidents in the road.

Today it was all so incredibly efficient, driver Whatsapped me whilst I was on plane taxiing in, all worked out so neat. There is a very slow speed limit in plane between airport and city, drivers obey it. My driver told me how proud the Poles are about how the country turned out and the good use made of EU money, but as he said it was timing that changed the country so much, citing examples such as Italy where you fund a lot of hotels built in 1960s, lending a semblance that the country hasn’t progressed so much, but yet the investments are present but less visible.

Hotel has piped birdsong sound in bathroom, and doggy watering bowls along the way for the canine guests. There are camper van services here, all sorts of practical services for the wandering tourist.

• My heart goes out to her and all with cancer or any suchlike illness. Doesn’t matter how royal or rich you are, the worst of maladies visit and we are all equally mortal. In a just society we should all have access to the best gold-standard treatment, but that’s not always enough to remedy us. There have been plenty of examples where the rich and great receive diabolical medical care, sometimes all the money in the world can’t save us.

There’s more young people getting certain cancers. Cervical is one, bowel (colon) cancer is another that is ever increasing amongst young people. Early heavy use of abtibiotics is thought to be a factor. They save young lives of course. Kids formerly died of strep and all sorts of infections. Most do not go on to develop colon cancer. But early antibiotics can radically alter microbiome in the colon, leading to some toxic bacteria subtly taking over and causing chronic low level inflammation. It has to be considered in young people and not dismissed as piles, ibs, chronic tummy bug etc, as it is entirely curable, often by a simple surgery. My Dad and my mother’s sister has surgeries for bowel cancer, quick recovery, no chemo, cured. It was so slow growing in their cases surgeons reckoned it took years to grow enough to cause symptoms.

• Hotels hereabouts very dog friendly , well they tend to be around continental Europe

• Litter is a big feature here, unfortunately. Bins raided by De Unwell, so to speak. Also lots of pigeons, they love them here, provide water fonts especially for them. When I visited Warsaw all those years ago I sat down in a park only to have 4 birds perched on my shoulders and arms. The Poles in Doobalin must adore our seagulls

• Those chips are heavenly, what a flavour and with a light fluffy texture.

Proper daycent grub, including Polish Coddle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭Tow

I wonder what de vegan twin is surviving on in Manila? Vegetarianism let alone veganism is not common amongst de Filipino people. Boiled rice and soya sauce is about all your left with. Unless you want to eat almost pure sugar covered food.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You could wake up with a yellow Labrador beside you in the cot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,360 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

De Poles exported all their bad drivers to Ireland, caller.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sorry I was looking for the liveline thread?

Used to be around here somewhere....

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I was there in 1975, 2001, 2017,2018,

Due a trip back , the new train lines are great Di Gdansk Warsaw, Krakow.

Yeh it's changed a lot

• Advertisement

• This is the easiest country in the world to live in. Poland has changed radically over last 20+ years, from a dour sort of place with great architecture, to a very good humoured happy place where people are laughing and enjoying life. Driving manners have done a massive u-turn, everybody waits back until I have crossed safely, they stop when they catch sight of me even looking to cross. There’s huge respect all around here. And the hospital next door to my hotel has appointments to see contracts 24/7. You book online, could be on a Saturday at midnight, you pay upfront (prices cheaper than Ireland of course) and bring ID what you on attendance. You can stay in my hotel (Galaxy) whilst having day procedures, rest up, go into town on an electric golf cart etc. a silurky blissful place.

• Der do be a hell of a lot of accents in Poland. You can actually hear de visitors from up north speaking differently. A woman approached me in Market Square today speaking Polish. Didn’t know what she was saying but I automatically replied in Russian “ya Irlandskaya, govoryu pa angliski” my stock Slavic phrase which is no longer politically correct. She knew what I was saying, didn’t reprimand!

Sausage Anyone?

• Saw one of these Polish Spaniels today jumping out of the river and on top of an unsuspecting sunbather relaxing on the embankment! Very good humoured, owner apologised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I think it's up there.... ^

No maybe it's over there... > or over there ¿ and lost now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mountain

Liveline thread has been partly hijacked for one posters musings and comments on life

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Am I missing something here? What is this tedious Polish travelogue stuff got to do with Liveline? Is there not a more appropriate forum for this?

Loosen up dude, bit of a change from the Dufficer is no harm.

Broaden yer mind like.

Settle down now lads, settle down.

Yeh dude, but kinda reminds me of popping into a neighbour's house for a quick chat about a planning application and then being subjected to sitting through a very dull hour of their holiday slides.

Not really what I was there for.

Aah. Heeyur……bit harsh there.

Lookit, there’s an Orkney trip in a BNI coming up soonish, I’m loooking forward to a few pics from that….

Settle down now, we’ll be back on track tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CMOD: stick to the topic please, do not spam it with a travelogue..Next off topic post gets an infraction.

Joe needs research for alternative locations for Funny Fridays. Joe has lots of Polish fans to cater for.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Driving tests and rules have become waaay stricter in Poland over past 20 years, they used to make the Italians seem like Scandinavians. I can cross the road in comfort knowing I’m not going to be intimidated off it here. Back then, early noughties a dat, half the accidents in Irish roads were caused by Polish drivers. There had been no proper driving test, only a basic parking test. Everybody now keeps great space between cars here.

• He. Old take over the stage in Market Square, Kraków where the locals gather to watch Polish dancing. Instead they’d get Duffoon and June Rogers yelling racist jokes.

With a audience of auld bábuška/babcia on their second sherry, complements of Harry Corry and de Licence Payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Arry where's the harm in it on the off time from the liveline proper, you have a lot to be bothering you amockeen

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Recode has always peppered her Liveline musings with different anecdotes about her life in general, which seems to have been quite an eventful one, what with her adventures in the library , her many (and serious) health problems, and her many world wide trips. I for one have no problem reading about them at the weekend when Duffoon is off air counting his money, (and I’m sure his lucky stars), while stuffing his ample gob with more coddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mountain

It’s a liveline thread, not a blog.

There is a travel forum

Joe, Tax payers are paying a foreign company to do de navy's wurk. It is a disgrace Joe.

• Advertisement

• The one in You’re a Guy must be faring pretty badly too, it’s all about barbecued beef out there.

Advertisement