Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭osullic

Unfortunately, this seemed the most likely outcome the other night.

I hope he has a speedy recovery. These ACL injuries are happening far too frequently nowadays. We’ve certainly had our fair share in Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Munster Under 20 Football Championship                  

Full Time 

Tipperary::: 2-6(12)

Limerick::: 0-12(12)

Wexford v Tipp moved to 6:45pm and will now be played in Ferns Centre of excellence. St Patrick’s Park unplayable.

Christ above. Tipp vs Wexford is called off tonight. Ferns unplayable as well as Enniscorthy. Tipp supporters who made the trip are very disappointed. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rearranged

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Clare vs Tipp semi final next Sunday at 4pm in Portlaoise.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Decent performance today in tough conditions in a tough place to go. Early result turned this into a dead rubber so wasn't expecting much, still would prefer to see some of the younger lads putting their hands up but it's not happening.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Some people saying the pitch will be under pressure to host it. Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't be expecting too much from someone going through their first year of inter county training and then having to play on heavy pitches. But I would be expecting more from Sean Ryan at this stage.

An okay performance in a poor game in poor conditions, I think sums it up.

If Paul Kelly survives this and is manager next year he’s some man. Seems like a nice man but these results are stink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Atrocious. You can appreciate to an extent the state of the panel but I completely agree with you.

He seems disinterested in the players in their later twenties and up. You can't just go with youth. They need guidance on the field and as well as off it.

Anyway, only a matter of time before it corrects itself. Too much talent around.

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Paddico

Brutal results. He got a 3 year contract.

Waterford could take Tipp in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Ŵas talking to someone who watched them training one day . He said " I don't know what they were doing but it certainly wasn't football "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Considering Drom&Inch are not even fielding a team in the football championship this year and results the last couple years for the footballers it’s a bleak outlook for the future. 2016-2020 was great but we are where we deserve to be at the moment.

Hope we see a lot more of Darragh, Billy, and Sean H and Sean K against Clare. Be a very important experience for them. I think Darragh has the type of passing we could do with down the line. Be a good game for Danny and Cathal Q to get as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the friends of tipperary football were doing a collection in quilty today for the football in the munster u20s

we generously donated our entire second half to Tipperary as a result (seems that we are friends ) i will be hoping ye return the same favor tomorrow !!!

We’ll down tools in the 2nd half today and ye can return the favour at Thurles. Be grand

Good bit of sand on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

An absolutely shocking performance by tipp. Its not that they weren't trying to hurl they simply were appalling. Not acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KClon11

Couldn’t see us winning 1 match in Munster after that performance

Agreed. Time to call a spade a spade. Losing the match is not the issue it's the woeful hurling they produced that is what is shocking.

Was absolutely desperate stuff , biggest problem being the young players that have come onto the panel in the last few seasons just aren't good enough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Only saw the second half but Tip were not able to hurl at all, for whatever reason. Their shot selection and free taking were fairly abysmal. They will find it hard in the coming months to win games. Clare played well but looked like they could have played better had the need arose - they will be tough come championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What can be done to improve players coming into squad though?

By the time they come onto the senior team it's probably too late. Certainly need to look at structures at developmental level. What are they focusing on? Modern hurling is about a lot more than just hurling ability.

We've had a problem with pace and players who can't run for about 10 years now, that can't all be a coincidence. I don't think there was 1 Tipp player today who was faster their Clare opponent, maybe Morris but that would be it. Unfortunately the younger players don't seem to be much better in that regard and physically we're a long way behind.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ah lads, ye're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

It was bad today. 19 wides. 10 from frees. I was actually laughing at how bad the frees were at the end, they were so chronic. Some of the worst frees I've ever seen. I think I can safely say we've no ball work done yet. But it would be worse if we were creating no chances.

Jason Forde had a shocker - very unlike him in terms of accuracy. He doesn't go from 1-4 from play against Limerick to that bad. It doesn't work like that. An off day.

19 wides. 10 from frees. It was bad. But we've five weeks to get right now. Give them a few grand and tell them to tare the arse out of it for a week. Let them bond away from the pitch. And go back at training then.

It's gonna be a long, long Munster championship yet. Of that, you can be assured. Judge them on that.

• Advertisement

i think tipp had only 5 starters today that started the all ireland 1/4 final last year against galway , i wouldn't be overly worried about it , but as said above , this today was pretty much two teams with alot of young fringe players being picked , the performance of some of the youner lads would be the worry , sean ryan had a very poor game after he was brought on for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Can't agree, we seem to have no plan or playing style. I think we are majorly up against it. Almost Davy like tactics pulling out forwards. Forde should have been left onfrees. Connors and Ryan taking them is a panicked management.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KClon11

There was times today where Jake was the only one inside for miles. It’s actually tough to watch.

I'll reserve judgement for championship. I think after missing five frees you've got to try someone else.

Jason must been feeling pressure as goc was so good on them early in the league . He hadn't any competition for frees with years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Usrwastaken

I cant see him as the right man for the job, Weve played like you said since he joined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Waterford 15 were probably a lot better than this tipp 15 which Is a little worrying.

Well, I think, G O'C started on them against Limerick. Missed a few. Jason took over. I think O'Connor looks tired. Played a lot of Fitz and league and this is it, form in the league won't be worth anything to anyone come championship. It's rare a player holds form throughout the entire year and if you do, you're usually in the running for hurler of the year. Fitzgerald might have one of those years for Clare or he might go flat at some stage. That's the tight rope for any player/team.

Ah here, the " bonding " should be well and truly done at this stage. That was shocking today, absolutely shocking. I'm sick and tired of hearing "ah sure their trying their best " or " they make fierce sacrifices ". We know all that it's a given if you're involved in senior county hurling. Someone has to go in there and give the whole lot of them ,squad, management, masseurs, psychologists, the lot, a right bollocking because that's not good enough, simply not good enough for a Tipperary team. There's enough money being splashed around with them and they go out and produce that sort of shyte!

Well someone better and that's for sure because it's simply not good enough. Maybe a bit of straight honest talking is what's lacking I don't know but apart from the shocking display by most of the players there's a sizeable staff there on good bucks and expenses who certainly are not delivering based on what we witnessed today.

• Advertisement

out of the 4 teams in the semi finals this weekend you lads did the most experimenting , john mcgrath and paddy cadell were both on the bench and never introduced , that was a sign of how serious the manager was about the game , the big disappointment was the lack of desire of the players on the field especially the lads being given a chance

teams with players to come back before championship

kilkenny 3 to 4 approx.

clare 4 to 6

limerick 5 to 7

tipperary 6 to 8 at least

I agree but it was worse than a disappointing lack of desire. What was actually scary was the quality or lack of quality in their hurling. I'm just a no mark on boards like everyone else here and what do we know but FFS something has to be done and done soon.

the thing is with tipperary is they dont have to hit fifth gear until may , say in round two they lose their first game against limerick , assuming we lose in week one , there next games are against cork waterford and clare , they will have abetter idea of where they stand from the cork v clare game assuming cork win against waterford in round one , which is played the same day

it basically becomes a straight shoot out in them last 3 games in an almost mini round robbin to advance in munster , it would seem that is what cahill is homing in on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

The team looked shagged tired today, I assume they're in the middle of heavy training, they looked like Limerick did last night.

Overall, I don't think we had a good league. Craig Morgan getting plenty of hurling has been the bright spot. Robert Byrnes I am totally puzzled on? I don't see what he brings. We've tried loads in midfield but with no consistency. I don't think Bonnar has anything to offer. We flogged Gearoid O Connor when he was flying in the colleges. Where is Barry Heffernan? His versatility is normally a great addition. Barrett is to come back in also.

Today's team didn't look like it was picked to win, with the two Stakelums, Dan McCormack, Bonnar, we looked over stacked on workers and not enough scorers. I thought both teams today might leave off the handbrake a bit more when Limerick were out. I assume neither wanted to meet them again so near championship.

Our shape as a team is worrying, our system seems to leave at least one opposing half back very free to come up field at will. We also don't seem to have away of getting our inside forwards good ball. If we're to go anywhere this year, getting Jake and Jason Forde on the ball as often as possible will be required. Both normally have great strike rates and are excellent goal takers.

Said while back if Byrne is starting we are in big trouble. He tries to be physical and can't even do that.

We've about 4 or 5 to come back. We don't have 6 to 8.

Cadell was out a long time, so he'll be under pressure to get to form. Looked very rusty against Limerick, even if he had to deal with a few hospital passes. I'd like to see him given a more offensive role in midfield as a sub. Not a starter for me.

Young Darragh Stapleton, it's tough to make your debut in a league semi but it will stand to him. 

I thought young Keneally did well enough. Got a point and won a few frees. 

Sean Hayes finished his chance well. Would have liked to have seen Billy Seymour and Quinn get a game. 

I think Shelley will start in championship in goals. He just has more creativity, takes more risks, and there's more length to his puck outs (not a bad long range free taker either).

Noel McGrath is very important to our shape and creativity up front - and that was completely lost today.

I agree with pretty much everything there. I still say with a few weeks to go there is still a bit of time but as I said earlier a stern chat needs to be had with everyone involved in the Tipperary senior set up , we've been hearing excuses for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Missed today's game but saw other games. I feel Tipps way of trying to short hurl their way out of defence is as predictable as it is dangerous and costs us many scores and turnovers. It seems all six backs are expected to have this same style instead of any individualism they all have naturally. We're like a poor version of Limericks way of walking the ball out of trouble. If G Hegerty was a Tipp forward, would he be allowed hurl like he does with Limerick or would he be expected to buy into this tippy tappy crap that we call hurling . All these overthought systems simply give the top teams time to setup and defend

the players to come back would be i assume (granted john mcgrath is not a guarantee starter )

shelly

barrett

cadell

connelley

mcgraths x2

seymore

tynan

kennady

kehoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

The issue I have is that we mess about with the ball a bit in defence and then hit long ball to the forwards, if you're going to work out from the back, you have to keep playing through the lines and drag your opponent out.

Our style to date is neither here nor there, if we're hitting long ball, we don't have forwards in the inside line that can win it, delaying the delivery with 2/3/4 more passes in the backline makes it even harder for the forwards.

We have the making of a good team. There's a lot on the line for Cahill this year, but Munster will be an almighty dogfight. Every single game will be hard fought. The S&C team will need to have got it right this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement