Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

You should see the UK Labour party - they've gone so far from representing the ordinary worker it's not even funny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I think most people are concerned that large numbers of people are being dropped into their communities without consultation, and unfortunately the concerns are falling on deaf ears when it comes to their elected representatives.

The people with genuine concerns are allowing scrotes who are just there for a millie up and to run amok though, and until people are able to stand up for their own area and tell them they are not welcome then they will continued to be tarred with the same brush.

And then you have the National Party:

As I've said before the National party, represented by the gormless yolk in the video, are such a clown show that I sometimes find myself thinking if they are controlled opposition, an personification of Reductio ad Absurdum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Marching with tricolours at these protests is not a good look either. I'm as patriotic as the next Irish person but parading the flag at an anti-asylum seeker protest is giving off serious 'right wing Irish nationalist' vibes (similar to the National Front / Britain First etc in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

What is quite funny though is the plummeting support for the Tories and their failed 'stop the boats' and 'take back control' sloganeering.

If only we could learn from other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The NGOs were lying all along about their open borders "economic boons". Government is infested with these goons

Pay less tax and rely on social welfare more than your average citizen collapsing existing state services.

This is in the UK but we have an acute problem with "unregular migration" compounding the problem here .

The entire house of cards is going to come crumbling down if the the incumbent government keep their track listening to these people .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Not often I agree with you on anything but on this I do. I hate seeing the Irish flag being used like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i live beside one in east wall and they don't seem to cause any problems. as would be the case in coolock and i'm sure of it, it will still be the local youths causing all the trouble.

also they were carrying signs saying "no to immigration", so i'm not sure it's just people going into IPAS centres they have issue with.

If the majority of the crowd is ordinary decent taxpayers then they need to confront these elements in their community. I believe in putting your own house in order first before looking outward otherwise your movement just becomes infested with and taken over by the scrotes, the likes of the National Party have no problem associating with gangs of feral youths in canada goose jackets.

"I haven't had a problem so there is no problem" has never been and never will be a valid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

I don't disagree. But the western countries have been sending aid to 3rd world countries for decades, and its not making a significant impact. Corruption at the top seems to be a big factor. Presidents with palaces and private jets, while their people live in poverty. It seems be a copy & paste model in nearly all of these developing nations.

But I have no idea how the world tackles the root cause. I certainky dont agree that Europe or Ireland opening the door to illegal migrants from these nations is the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I find it comical that those types of politicians were the first calling for a general election last week.

Quite a few of them will be getting a roundhouse kicking from their constituents at the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭combat14

the protest in coolock/finglas is exactly what happens when voters have no political representation to accurately represent their actual views

all across the country voters are feeling massively let down by both government and opposition parties - ordinary people have no one proper to vote for and the frustration is only starting to show

the housing and rental crisis is so extreme in the country at present that protests could easily turn from anti-IPAs in local hotels to anti-immigration in general if not handled delicately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Unfortunately anecdotal observation of one other IPA centre isn't solid enough to show that when you place 500 MEA males into an area that suffers from large social deprivation related issues, Crime, drugs, anti-social behaviour etc. it can lead to positive outcomes for the community.

Coolock Garda station has maybe 2 patrol cars to cover an area with a population of around the same as Leitrim. Not to mention an already strained and overburdened healthcare facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

And a prime working example of the results of dumping as many as possible in after calling everybody far right that questions it - Sweden. Yet you still have liberal mentalists claiming all immigration is a positive.

It must be great to be so self righteous that you can ignore reality as it suits

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thing is, our 'leaders' are too arrogant, they don't look to other countries failings, think they know all the answers and listen to their advisors and ngo's over the general population.

As another poster said, the whole house of cards will come crashing down. And they'll be too busy blaming the far right and not see what is front of their faces.

the thing i can't understand is how come they aren't out protesting new builds in the area because of the overburdened healthcare etc.? loads of new builds about to open in chanel's grounds, a bit further up the malahide road there's about 300 apartments nearly finished too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭enricoh

No, 80% excluding don't knows.

Will be pricy to implement Rwanda, but needs must. Word won't be long spreading that the UK is out n that paddy still has the clown at the helm that hopes to give them keys to their own pad after 4 months.

I think you missed my point there somewhat, voting for half-baked anti-immigration policies, be they from independent candidates, a new look FG post-Varadkar, or the Tories, is a terrible idea.

You'll get the government you deserve.

We need to focus on getting our public services and construction industry functioning. If anything happens with migration numbers it'll be due to international factors, not by rehashing failed 'border control' policies from other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The people arrested did intend to claim asylum. There is no other reason to destroy documents. So it is possible to prosecute scammers before they get out of the airport.

I agree that we don't want scroungers ,and that we need quick response times and genuine deportation. This is not achievable without also reducing arrivals, hence I suggested many practical real-world actions that can be implemented quickly.

About building houses, O'Gorman's infamous tweets of own-door accommodation are a good example of that. We also have had one or two posters on this thread suggesting we should build our way out of the crisis.

Building asylum centres seems to be the way it's going and will be a disaster of its own, as the violence in existing centres has shown. Hundreds of young men of different cultures, many of whom are from troubled impoverished backgrounds, jammed into a building together - what do you expect to happen? Most people don't want such places on their doorstep.

Much of the world is in poverty - most of Africa, Asia, Latin America, and wherever else. An infinite number of people are willing to come here and claim asylum to improve their economic situation if we encourage them. Logically, we can't facilitate this without causing major problems for our own small country. We are already way past the limit.

Was that number given in the Independent article or did you come up with it yourself?

*Edit, I have access to the article today, it's not given in the article.

So more phoney stats from the anti-immigration posters. 60% of those polled said they favored these proposals, not 80% as you claimed.

• Advertisement

Well yea I mean the entire area from Balgriffin to Coolock has had 100's of new apartments and houses built there in the last 10 years or so, and with another 800 apartments coming on-stream opposite Darndale it's a case of the services not being there for the population.. Put 500 males with health and security needs into that mix and you're just pouring more petrol into the fire..

Plus the old Irish merchants warehouse beside Darndale will house 1000 IPA's soon I believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭prunudo

You said "If only we could learn from other countries."

I'm saying our lot are too arrogant to learn from other countries, they're repeating all the same mistakes that have been made in other European countires over the last 20 years and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭mistersifter

This seems to be what is happening. And it appears that the traffickers orchestrating the undocumented arrivals by providing them with fake documents to board flights, tend to people who have already been through the scam themselves and have become European citizens. Then they act as a guide for future arrivals. The problem is one that compounds itself.

yeah i just don't buy the resources and services line when no one was protesting or doing anything about lots of new people moving to the area through other means

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

We are in a far worse position than Sweden.

They changed tack after their nightmare period, removed the NGO lobbying sector and have heavily invested "first contact" services for the remaining economic migrants after stemming the flow. Cultural "education" may help ease the pressures but they now have the problems of policing "ghettos".

We on the other hand close our hotels and nursing homes(removing primary and economic services in an area) and still do not have the emergency capacity to "assimilate" the remaining economic migrants leading to scenes we see now on the streets of Dublin.

We haven't even started thinking about "first contact" services(we haven't even got to the stemming the flow stage yet) for these economic migrants and they are just left to their own devices in communitys up and down the country.

And it seems there's little will to stop it which will not end well.

What dya want them to do? Stand outside an apartment building site waving a flag at the bricklayers or something?

Building homes is in the plan for the local area and is known about years in advance, so any failure here is on the local governmental organisations and representatives.

Plopping in 500+ people with a vast range of needs is all very sudden and last minute due to the nature of the IPA crisis...

So start comparing like with like here and stop trying to score some sort of points here..

i'm not scoring points, i'm just saying the resources excuse for these protests is nonsense, as they haven't been protesting about resources until foreigners were involved.

Just perhaps the meagre resources could just about stretch until thousands of young men were bussed in eh ?

• Advertisement

The issue of lack of resources has been known in these areas for decades, Coolock and the surrounding areas have been deprived of resources for years so when you throw in 100's of people like this who require immediate resources is a kick in the teeth to locals..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement