Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What esim plans are available in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That's almost a week so. Mad that they would know about it and not fix or remove it.

I read on 3 Community forum that a user successfully swapped his existing physical lyca sim for an esim so if you are in a hurry to get one then purchasing one in a store and swapping it afterwards is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Ah cool, I was able to do that. Very simple process. Getting over 400mb on 5G... not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PH0NER

I was finally able to process a new eSIM order through Lyca. I first tried with PayPal and got through to the payment completion screen. Once it sent back to Lyca, it failed. I retried with my debit card and it was successful. eSIM QR code arrived instantly in my email.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Disregard, apologies bumped an old thread.

• Advertisement

Just an update for March 2024:

• Vodafone, Three, & Lyca offer eSIM.
    • No word from Eir or GoMo.
    • No word from any other prepaid/MVNOs if they’ll support eSIM soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hank Five

Folks, webchats weren't much help: how can I order an eSIM online from either Vodafone or Three, as a new customer switching? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rhinosaurious

With 3 you can just select your plan as usual and click e sim at the checkout pages instead of physical sim, there will be those 2 options and you just hit esim.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭knockoutned

Does anyone know if the carriers that have esim have plans for smart watches yet?

• Advertisement

No option to order an eSIM from Three or Vodafone online as a new customer switching (PAYG). Have to either go in-store or order a physical SIM and switch it over.

Lycamobile does have an option to order an eSIM.

I was able to switch to 3 esim payg from another network a few months ago unless something has changed recently.

Something must have changed. I cannot find any step in the ordering process that will let me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

I am also on the lookout for an esim for a smartwatch. I know Vodafone does the OneNumber deal, which is think is €5 per month, but I am a GoMo customer and only pay a tenner, so won't be switching my main number to anyone else.

The Lyca offer of €75 for 12 months is pretty good though, and would only work out as €6.25 pm, so would consider using that as my smart watch plan. I just want to be sure that I am right in thinking that any esim will work in a smartwatch... I mean when people talk about smart watch plans, they mean cheap plans intended as add-ons and not full calls+data plans? There is nothing to stop someone using an esim intended for a phone plan in a smartwatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

You can choose between SIM and eSIM in the basket before checkout.

Yes I've said Lyca does have that option, you've misread those posts. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6 corex

Lyca uses an ESIM QR code which you need to scan to activate the ESIM. Most Smart watches does not seem to have cameras so not sure how you would be able to scan the QR code with your Smartwatch and activate the ESIM.

Just in case anyone is wondering, or ends up here after searching, Three was handy enough.

Physical SIM is next day delivery, set it up on a phone as normal, go onto three.ie to request replacement SIM and select eSIM. Give your number/email etc and an eSIM QR code will be emailed to you (took less than an hour to be sent for me). Scan it with the phone you want it for and you're done.

(My original problem was my phone (Google Pixel 4a 5g) had stopped reading physical SIMs altogether but luckily it can be used with eSIM.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 siddhanth

How is Lyca eSIM in terms of coverage? I don't mind 4G since I am mostly connected to WiFi at home and at work. I am looking to replace my Vodafone eSIM that costs me €45/m. Was waiting for GoMo to launch their eSIM but they didn't. Also, I am planning to cut down on my phone bills as well.

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I've had Lycamobile eSim since last year.

Bought the 12 month plan, one off payment. It "renews" monthly so all data stats reset on the plan (unlimited isn't really unlimited, but plenty for me)

I've never had an issue.

Btw it's 5G :-)

• Advertisement

I’m still waiting for GoMo or 48 to launch eSIM. I have a Lyca eSIM and a grandfathered 3 Prepay Hero plan with eSIM. Lyca has the same coverage as my 3 SIM, but my 3 SIM is usually faster and lower ping on speed tests. It’s still an option I recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Sounds like my situation, I'm a SIM junky I suppose!

3 Hero SIM, 48 SIM, plus Lycamobile and Vodafone esims. All on the one phone!

(Don't ask!)

lol! I have Vodafone, 3, and Lycamobile eSIMs for my iPhone. I run one Irish SIM in conjunction with my U.S. SIM. This month my U.S. number is on Mint.

I also have 48 and GoMo in two iPads. Just got the new iPad though, and even the Irish model is eSIM only. Kinda worried Apple is going to make the iPhone 16 eSIM only for the EU, but Eir/GoMo and the other MVNOs here still won’t care enough to support it.

Advertisement