Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Jesus christ...the unashamed arrogance and neck of tubridy....

Pathetic

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s mad. There’s no end of online commentary from hurlers on the ditch over the last few days, unfavourably comparing Varadkar’s exit to Tubridy’s - almost a year ago to the day - from the LLS.

And yet, when Tubridy mentions it in his national newspaper column, he’s arrogant and a narcissist, etc.

The toxicity of contemporary online discourse is an issue that really needs to be addressed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Prophetic and pathetic.

OK Ryan doesn't get to write the headline but comparing his departure to Leo's whilst "at the top" is quite something.

Leo (like him or loath him) was quite the self achiever. Leaves Law for Medicine, interns in Mumbai, works in James's for 7(?) years, went out campaigning all hours of the night to get elected (I photo'd him when he was out on the LE 2004 campaign, out alone with a banger car full of his leaflets and signs). Gets elected too, with what I thought (him too) was little help from FG.

LV rose through the ranks of an established party to eventually become top dog, with no familial pedigree in politics (not easy in Ireland).

Leo's done all this and he still has 5 years on Tubs.

Tubs story of his rise to the top (and exit) couldn't be any further away from Leo's.

Tubs omits to say he got the boot from radio. The job he wanted to continue in. In the company he wanted to continue working in. In the country he wanted to live in. On the salary he was comfortable with.

All that was taken away from him. Tubs didn't give that up.

It's a typically bland article by Tubs but there is this continuing whiff of him subtly trying to distort his recent history.

And that whiff stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

The resident Tubridy ball-washers running defence as expected but they're not winning this one.

Absolutely staggering levels of hubris. The idiot who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room thinks the public at large is stupid enough to swallow his hollow, empty, self-aggrandising bullshit, in an attempt to reframe narratives.

"I caught wind of the fact my dodgy, underhand deals with Dee were going to be exposed so i jumped ship before i was pushed" - An honest, self aware, humble Ryan Tubridy that exists somewhere in a parallel universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

The fact that he's been getting away with static for decades means that there was a big enough passive audience who just needed something on in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

You would think that living in England and working among some top broadcasters with perfect English might rub off on him?

Not on yer Nellie! This morning's cringefest included his pronunciation of the word "Film" as "Fill-um" really irritating as ever to listen to.

Wait, he didn't just liken Cillian Murphy's return to Cork as to Jesus on a Donkey on Palm Sunday did he?

In his blithering rambling link - one of his 50,000+1 thoughts in the link included a mention of "online hate" with reference to Nickelback and a mention that he had interviewed them during the week.

An interview which he seemed as per usual out of his depth doing and nervously laughed through while the members of Nickelback took "ownership" of their slot with Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Not knocking the trojan work of the 4 producers locally of his Sunday Dump 10-12 on LMFM, Q102, Live 95FM & 96 FM, but the edits in every link for which the station names are inserted or shoehorned sounds false, AI, stilted and unnatural. This is due more to Tubridy's atrocious delivery and lack of correct inflections, intonations, pausing and levels. Its really noticeable with cuts, chops, gaps and nonsensical pauses.

Those poor editors on a basic minimum wage who are tasked with assembling this dirge each week really deserve an IMRO award for the pain I am sure they go through whilst trying to polish Tubridy's verbal Turd. It is possible they will be given a Gold at the IMRO's due to the incestuous nature of the industry and feature on Learning Waves Podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I like to think I have a good measure of Tubridy and could make a fair go of predicting what utter bilge he will vomit up in this weekly diary but today took the chocolate HobNob altogether.

In possibly his most Partridgesque entry yet, Tub's likens himself to Leo Varadkar, who he implies quit due to social media toxicity. With his family history, in Tub's tiny pea brain he obviously sees himself as a major player in Irish life, no different to Taoisigh or senior political figures. Varadkar has said himself that there is no connection there and that he has a thick skin, he is leaving for other reasons. But of course all the sensitive lovies like Tubs are jumping on the old 'nasty internet people' excuse these days. It's all the rage.

Photos of Tubs shedding a tear on his last LLS and a pic of Leo and Dee Forbes is preceded by a paragraph where he mentions how hard "high profile women" have it when it comes to "nasty and venomous rage" - Our hero isn't happy that the internet is still "the Wild West" where anonymous accounts can get away with saying mean things to rich and famous people. Perhaps he would like a dedicated branch of AGS to knock on these people's doors and drag them out by the ears. I'm sure if he was running things, many accounts on Boards here would be the first to get the treatment!

But the real pièce de résistance had to be the blatent lie that he had "an epiphany" in August 2023 and decided to pack in RTE and his €200k salary for 1 hour a day of radio. It wasn't that he made a mug of himself and gave Bakhurst no option but to say adios, of course. And if you seem to remember him saying in May of '23 that he would be remaining on at Radio1 forever and ever and ever and ever and ever because that's what he loved doing, well you are obviously mistaken. Never happened.

He signs off by saying he got out at the top. Like Leo. It's just astonishing stuff.

I'm off to have a lie down, Absolutely cringed out.

Given that in this week's column Tubridy compares himself to Varadkar, next week's Easter Sunday column will see him compare himself to Jesus Christ and claim that his show on Virgin Radio is his resurrection after being crucified by the Oireachtas committees (playing the part of Pilate and Sanhedrin) and RTE. His friends in RTE claiming never to have known him will play the part of Saint Peter. After all, Jesus Christ only started a new religion, but Tubridy was the Toyman. Either that or it will be about Easter eggs. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Judas Iscariot betraying his colleagues for 30 pieces of silver would be more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Maybe I’m being too harsh but it seems that whenever a story breaks from Ireland that captures the publics interest, Leo resigning or Sinead O’Connor passing away for example, Tubridy has an uncontrollable urge to put himself in the frame.

What appears to be a tacky attempt to ride the wave of prevailing public sentiment is ultimately more akin to a drunk stranger photobombing a family moment.

He really has been badly exposed over the past 12 months. On a number of levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Hedors seem to stick himself into any story coming out of Ireland that can be spun to his advantage.

Muscling in on a child's death, Sinead O Connors death, Charlie bird passing. Leo weasling off. All opportunities for tubsy to stick his oar in.

His arrogance is legendary.

But his radio skills will never be.

For Tubridy fans, that would probably be Oliver Callan for doing the radio show for 150K instead of the 170K salary that had been offered to Tubridy before he messed up that deal. That 150K for a prime national radio slot has effectively set the starting point for any salary negotiations if Tubridy hopes to return to Irish national broadcasting after Virgin Radio.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0817/1400184-rte-tubridy/

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seems strange that they handed the fool D'Arcy another 250k per year for 4 years then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Me me me - his PR crew must have gone to the same college as Meaghan Markle’s PR crew

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What appears to be a tacky attempt to ride the wave of prevailing public sentiment is ultimately more akin to a drunk stranger photobombing a family moment

It’s very like Shane Ross when he was sports minister… had to make it all about him…. Almost as if he was directly responsible for the success…

The 150K is the starting price for Tubridy.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hope not. I'd like to see RTE in a couple of years offer him 60k and force him to refuse it .

Depends how he does with Virgin Radio. If he makes a mess of it then he may not be back as a prime time presenter on RTE or any other station. RTE has its own problems and probably wants to put the Tubridy Payments Scandal behind it. At this stage, giving him a book review programme on Lyric would be politically iffy for RTE. It needs to make a break with the past.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭StevenToast

He is more akin to Britains Prince Andrew after that infamous interview...

My understanding is that Andrew believed that brutal interview with Emily Maitlis went well......much like with Tubridy now...creating narratives in his head to satiate his enormous ego....

Narcissistic egomaniacs...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭hawley

I would think that everything coming from Tubridy about losing his job, is done in conjunction with Noel Kelly. He's trying to use these articles as a way of smoothing his return to RTE. Yesterday's article was laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

You must have missed Ray D'Arcy getting is contract renewed at 250k per year, a few weeks ago. Duffy is having a 'Funny Friday' this Thursday, as Friday is a 'non working day'. In the last few weeks it appears Kevin has thrown in the towel and is letting the money flow.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Field east

That €250,000 beggars belief. RTE could have said to D’Arcy that it no longer requires his services if that is his price. RTE could then go off and devise a new programme to replace Darcy’s hour and and then let D’Arcy apply for the presentation of it @125,000 a year. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Since his move to Virgin radio I’ve grown less and less inclined to even discuss him - this out of sight out of mind element is actually quite refreshing - these are my only couple of posts in this thread in probably the last month and I used to be a weekly contributor to the LLS thread - if he wants to live out his career in good olde Englerland then great - I complained for years when he was on our TVs so now that he’s gone, I’m actually happy - I don’t feel the need really to comment much anymore - which I’m sure he’ll be fine with - the problem is though, it’s not just me that’s happy to forget about him - don’t know how his listenership figures are going but I’d doubt they’re anything to brag about especially considering this absolute garbage he’s producing every week.

Anyway that’s my monthly Tubridy post- see you next month- or maybe even not😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

I follow this thread because I'm intrigued by life imitating art, Tubridy in London is Partridge in Norfolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Some guy on with Pat Kenny now. A poet who does a podcast with Paul McCartney. I wonder if Tubs is listening? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's like this thread of people who all think their boss was like David Brent:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOfficeUK/comments/18urijp/have_you_ever_had_a_boss_like_david_brent_and_if/

But none of them actually are. It was a really big thing back in 2001 - People saying things like "My boss asked us to work this weekend for the big project launch. He's just like David Brent!" or "My boss was critical that my PDP didn't have any SMART goals, and the milestones weren't aggressive enough. God almighty, he's literally just like David Brent!". I mean, did these people ever actually watch The Office?

Every radio presenter gets compared to Alan Partridge. Because what people don't understand that the power of good satire isn't life imitating art - it's art imitating life. Partridge works because it takes the real-life situations radio presenters find themselves in, and pushes them for comical value. Merely pointing out that a radio presenter might find themselves in one of those situations isn't "just like Alan Partridge", no more than your boss merely holding a meeting is "just like David Brent".

Ask yourself: would Tubridy steal a traffic cone? Does he use an oversized plate for buffet breakfasts? Has he befriended a Geordie hotel worker who once thew a monkey in the sea? The answer is a resounding no, no and no.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gregor you're a reasonable man but this post is entirely wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"Ask yourself: would Tubridy steal a traffic cone? Does he use an oversized plate for buffet breakfasts? Has he befriended a Geordie hotel worker who once thew a monkey in the sea? The answer is a resounding no, no and no."

I agree with much of what you say in this thread, Gregor, but I don't think that you can be 100% sure that the answer to the three questions you posed is "No".

Advertisement