Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what resources? serious question because up until 2 months ago i was living in edenmore for 8 years with a 2 year sabbatical abroad, which is a few minutes walk from where these protests were going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

They've qualified twice now what they meant by 80% (including from the outset) yet the point still remains in a different stratosphere above your head

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Really? What resources?

What do you think...? Dumping in hundreds of IPA's who will need access to Medical/healthcare resources.. The requirement for Garda resources in case of security issues at the centres... any more details required?

I still don't get why they're only worried about medical resources if new arrivals to the area are immigrants. We can leave it there or we'll go round in circles.

• Advertisement

I don't see any plans for the authorities to bring in contract medical facilities on-site for the 100's of new arrivals who would as you'd imagine have complex medical needs so definitely will be a massive strain on any areas limited medical resources..

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Are you actually trying to say no one was complaining about the lack of hospital beds, schools, teachers and GP's until recently?

i can't remember a time when we didn't complain about this stuff but i never saw people in coolock out protesting about it. all of the new builds in the area will put a lot more pressure on schools and the rest but no one was protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭enricoh

You missed the 'excluding don't knows' bit in my post didn't you? It was the first 3 words in my post- hard to miss really.

Also, the article I linked was the examiner not indo

60% support Rwanda style, 24% don't know, 16% are against.

I'll leave you to figure out whether it's 'phoney' stats.

Phoney a bit American - do you live in Ireland MegaMan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'll have to put my hand up and cop to that. I did miss the 'excluding don't knows' bit.

I guess I've been conditioned by all the dodgy stats posted here previously.

It does look quite different given the full breakdown though I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Especially when it comes to how both countries are policed.

We have a shortage of guards and such a lack of prison space that people with hundreds of convictions are walking to the streets.

How are the guards going to deal with the gang wars that Sweeden was blessed with or terror attacks other European countries have been blessed with.

We are in scary place and it's getting worse each passing day.

Crazy to think we have people who want to send more money and business towards these crime gangs isn't it!

What else do you think further piecemeal 'border control' measures will achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Strong border control measures prevent asylum scammers, people traffickers and all sorts of illegals from safe countries boarding flights. That is an indisputable fact.

Have you made one practical suggestion on what we can do to fix even a small amount of the damage being done to Irish society?

What is it you think we should do about the current crisis exactly? What constructive points can you make, because up until now you're embarrassing yourself?

Just because you didn't read it in the news doesn't mean it never happened. The truth is that the media couldn't give two f*s if some locals protest at the lack of social services but when immigrants are the subject of the protest it's front page news!

That's a very disputable 'fact'.

Have you any evidence to back it up? There's a lot of examples worldwide where stronger border measures only lead to further dependence on traffickers and waste valuable resources.

How are your 'stronger border measures' working out in the UK, US and Mediterranean?

I think the "we're worse than Sweden" posts are a bit hyperbolic, on top of their per-capita rape statistics, they also lead the developed world in bombings and grenade attacks, source being well know right-wing populist rag the Guardian:

In 2020 there were a total of 107 detonations, according to police figures, and 13 attempts. In 2023 the number soared to 149 detonations and 62 attempts.

I think if we kick the can down the road and say shur it'll be grand we might see ourselves in a similar position, but we're not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Panorama is on BBC 1 at 8pm this evening. Immigration the UK's record rise is the topic, exploring how despite the expectation was after Brexit that immigration would be lower it has increased to record levels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Oh stop being disingenuous. The lack of resources has been pointed out time and time again in these areas, not always in the headlines unless there is a shooting or a killing has taken place. These areas have been deprived and ignored for years and this is now a chance for those lack of resources to be highlighted.

These protests need to be handled carefully wrong one move by the authorities and there will be trouble. These areas are on a knife edge most of the time it is not going to take much to set it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

In the paper, another example to add to the list showing the link between crime and immigration which McEntee & Co are oblivious to: Abdul Rahman Mohammed, a 35y/o security guard for Pennys, was found guilty of falsely imprisoning a 15 y/o girl, forcing her to strip, and sexually assaulting her before trying to extort €250 after she shoplifted from Penneys in Dundrum shopping center on December of 2022.

What's infuriating is his solicitor doing his utmost best stating how he has “until now he has been the perfect citizen” despite having two convictions and that him being a nonce was “outside his ordinary character?......The solicitor said that "though sexual assault is always serious, this incident came within the lower level of offending"...but we must remember he is well regarded in his community and had volunteered at a food kitchen in the past. Absolution right there.....And to finish "his client was a foreign national so time spent in prison would be “more onerous” for him than an ordinary Irish citizen." F*ck off. He has been convicted of sexual assault, false imprisonment, and demanding money with menace of a 15 y/o girl. He should be locked up, and then his citizenship revoked and deported upon only release He's due to be sentenced May 13th

I worked as a loss prevention officer for three big shops in Jervis street centre, the person who makes the stop they book them. They are not passed over so I don't know why your man book the kids. And under no circumstances were we to be alone in the office with a minor but for a child to rob high-value item/s was rare, so for them to pull the girls for €2.50 is odd, we'd reason with them and just take that stuff back, be firm with them and tell them their barred. €2.50 like. Abdul Rahman Mohammed saw an opportunity and he pounded. Predator behavior.

Post edited by 1800_Ladladlad on

the area around this proposed site is grand, most of the houses ex corpo privately owned houses like my own these days, as i said i've lived close by for years in edenmore. never noticed any knife edge. what resources do you think asylum seekers would affect, GP appointments? i can't think of anything else.

• Advertisement

That doesn't show a link between crime and immigration.

It shows a link where one criminal is an immigrant.

Mods can we start posting every court report where the offender has an Irish sounding name?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Rubbish. Absolute rubbish. Tell me do you go walking around Darndale? Even just looking at the pictures of the young fellas up the front of the protests are only there for one thing and that is to cause trouble and you can bet any hint of trouble all the scumbags from surrounding areas will be attracted there like flies around sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭marty whelan

We are not allowed to check with the country the applicant says they are from, so these checks are utterly worthless. Eurodac only allows us to return under Dublin regulation, is pointless in reality, close to (if not actually) zero returned due to this

darndale is one place nearby, up the malahide road some more. the immediate estates around the site are nice areas and certainly not on a knife edge.

last time i was in darndale i was buying weed a few years ago, in a car though, if you must know.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

People complain about all those issues but rarely protest about them or campaign for them. And then when refugees come in they are suddenly up in arms like never before.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Jaysus I'd luv to live in the little bubble you're in!

Already been pointed out to you numerous times how the sudden placement of 500+ persons into an already socially deprived areas places a massive strain on not only medical resources as but already pointed out to you the surrounding areas have high levels of anti-social behaviour, Drug dealing, vandalism, intimidation, thefts, if Garda from Coolock have to provide extra resources around this centres then the situation gets worse, ever try calling the Gards to report a crime? Forget about it now..

Also is the €Millions being spent on running of the centre could have been spent on social diversion projects in the area to get youth away from a life of crime...

Also if you don't see any problems with hundreds of men who have Nothing to do all day being placed into a large fairly Mono-cultural area then I can't help you here..

It's hard for me to see any problems with it when I live beside one in East Wall and it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

And as had been explained already - resources are scarce amongst people who contribute to their local society; general bitching and a complaint or two to local councils.

Adding thousands who DON’T contribute and only take - protests.

I know some would like to make it a race issue but it’s really just numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement