Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BGS 2024 - Round 1 Corballis - 23rd Mar 12:20

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭a post punk

Great to Birdie 13 ,I found that the toughest all day to figure out aswell as the par 3 beside water!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was just about to post same thing, birdie on 13 is great going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Macker1

Some great reading in the post round reports. Congrats to @FixdePitchmark on his long overdue maiden victory. Incredible to believe that it hadn't happened sooner.

Also well done to our Captain @Alanm on the marvelous start to the Boards GS 2024 season. Onward and upwards from now on with better weather and scoring for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I thoroughly enjoyed the round and reading about it since. As is well documented on this site, I'm a former member of Corballis. This makes me particularly interested to read people's opinions on the course. I can completely understand the range of feelings the course the course brings out, particularly on a day like Saturday. It's probably more of a love/hate course than any other in the country, both in terms of people outright loving the course and others never wanting to go anywhere near it (unless playing the Island obviously) and others loving the course on the tee and then hating it when they can't find their tee shot. I might not agree with people's criticisms of particular things but I do understand them.

In terms of loving the course, I've never been confused about my feelings towards it. I love it. I love the look of the place, the views and probably mostly I love the unconventional nature of it. Most index 1s around the country are largely the hardest hole because of their length. Corballis hardly has a long hole on it, but is a hard course for any level of golfer. It forces you hit shots you're not comfortable with. So why did I leave? I loved the course, but I didn't love the way it made me feel :( Every time I stood on on the first tee I couldn't help but feel that today will be different. And every day I walked off the 18th green, I pretended to myself that the next day will be. And I tried to change so that we could work. I tried to lower my ball flight, but I couldn't. And then I tried to lower my expectations, but I couldn't do that either. Eventually, I made the decision to leave. I'll still relapse occasionally and stumble down it's fairways, only to be reminded of why it couldn't work in the first place. But I'm moving on.

Anyway..........

I played a thoroughly enjoyable round with VW, golfgraffix and Fix. I would never have imagined that Fix hadn't won a boards event before, so was honoured to witness it firsthand. To be honest, I was surprised that Fix won. I think that came from two reasons - firstly our whole group played pretty well. Golfgraffix got off to a flying start and might well have been leading the comp after 6 holes. Thoroughly deserved too, he was playing great. I don't think the performance dropped all that much after. There were a few wayward shots, but it doesn't take much there to drop a shot or three. You can miss a green on most courses and hope to get up and down to save par. On corballis you might be grateful to find your ball and see what you can salvage. VW was well in contention after 9 and again didn't collapse, but just stopped scoring on the back 9. And I played some decent golf (6 up and downs) but left a lot behind me (5 3 putts). So when we'd all played well, it felt like there was more than 30 points out there for someone. In particular, it felt like there was more out there from looking at fix. I thought he was very unlucky to not have a few more points on the front 9 with several putts shaving the hole. And the back 9 was very strong, but even then he finished with a scratch after very uncharacteristically thinning a chip through the green on 18. The 30 points he came in with was the minimum he deserved for how he played. No matter, I think the whole society was happy to see him win a boards event. Just to note on his game - it's obvious why he loves links golf. Being able to punch the ball low through the air like that is a skill. One I'm envious of.

So thanks to all organisers of the day and congrats to AlanM on a successful start to the year. I can't wait to walk down to the next event at the end of my road. Unfortunately my wife has booked a night out that night so I'll have to walk home as opposed to stumble. At least I'll get to play the golf, because that's the important part of the day. Isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Pcc of 3 on GI for Corballis on Saturday.

Some solas there, reflecting how difficult it was.

Handled a cruel start with only two points to show for some good shots.

Recovered well to turn with 18 pts.

Back 9 for me was rubbish only real highlights were irons to the par 3s.Two pars. 12 pts for the 9.

Relieved I didn't take the win from @FixdePitchmark given the state of my game on the back side.

Great company with @ballyk @oma29 and @Concerned2 .

Missing Portmarnock as clashes with annual trip to the Kingdom.

See u in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Massive thanks to Alanm for taking on the captains position with gusto! Apologies I couldn't make it to Balcarrick clubhouse afterwards to lick my wounds with you all.

A very difficult round, in strong winds, with very fast greens in some places, way different to what I'm used to this time of year. It was hard to keep a ball on the tee and you had to try time hitting a putt in between gusts so the ball wouldn't get blown mid stroke.

I opened badly with 2 points after 4 holes. Then went under par from 5-9 where I made the bulk of my scoring for the day turning in 14 pts. I know corballis, I know it can reward and it can punish in equal measures. The breaks I got were harsh to say the least, bourne out in my scoring, which was either 3/2 pointers or scratches where my ball rolls off a foot from fairway into an unrecoverable position. A number of times I'd land a ball regulation on or beside the green and have it settle in a place where I'd ultimately scratch the hole from. I found myself getting frustrated with the course and apols to my playing partners for the few times I let off some steam. 

I have a good ball flight for corballis for the wind, I can control flight, like the wind and relish a challenge - but the breaks you get are the breaks you get. I finished with 20 points, which seems atrocious on the outset, but I know well, take away say, half of the 10-12 awful breaks I got and all other things being equal - I'm suddenly challenging the leaders.

It is nice to play a course in conditions where the bulk of the course is dry after the awful winter, I've gotten used to getting in covered in mud on my own place. There's an art form from chipping a ball from dry tight ground that I love, it's unfortunate that the ball never collected in these areas as it always just rolled on a yard more settling into a position which was unplayable. I only had one chip the whole day of a nice flat lie, a story in itself.

Break80, apostpunk and awec were my partners on the day. It was a long day in those conditions, but spirits were good. PP should have taken this one, his game was looking strong. He found consistency, which is not something that comes easily here. Kieran, with high ball flight was beaten up around here and he may not return to this place again on his own accord. Awec, started with a strong par, and was looking good early doors, but like myself maybe struggles with the fact that the wind not only affects ball flight. It also make you unsteady as you're trying to hit your ball. Delighted my friend fix took this one, but can't wait for redemption at portmarnock links, one of my favourite courses in the country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Was a tough day out there Saturday, still really enjoyed it but tough. 

Great to be back for another year with the society and even better to see the good numbers again. 

Corballis has come in for some criticism lately and I think it’s a bit unfair, ok some spots needed to be maintained a bit better and the 7th fairway is in bits but other than that (ok the 8th “green”) I found it in ok condition. You’d be surprised how narrow a strip of land it is until you look back on it 

I struggled with the wind all day and add that to my continuing woes of not getting the ball off the tee, I knew it was going to be a grind right from the first hole. Credit to my playing partners, we still did enjoy the day and the scenery and had a bit of crack going around as well. Hit a few good shots and holed one or two long putts but mostly it was terrible golf from me, it’s been a long long time since I’ve had a decent round now unfortunately.

Congrats to Fix for winning his first event, there’s many more to come from him. If he didn’t win in Corballis after his epic thread, I would start to get worried. His game has come on a huge amount this year. 

Looking forward to the rest of the year and the battles that shall be had!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 weapon of grass destruction

It feels like this is the kickoff for real golf again. Big congrats to @FixdePitchmark and winning on a day we had Saturday, that's some stellar golf.

Thanks to @Alanm and all the lads on the committee for organising a great day and seamless transition of the captaincy. And to Alan for helping sort out my gui app mess which is all sorted now.

The day in itself was tough with the wind, had some ups and down literally as I found myself upside down with my approach into the par 5.

I had the pleasure to play with @bobster453 @BigChap1759 two great lads, the only thing that stands out is the misery that we went through. Bobster definitely had the shot of the day from a bunker shot on the 2nd par 3, no idea how he got it out. The company made the round had a good laugh with the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Nabbed the results from Seves file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

thanks @spacecoyote been quite busy so appreciate the dig out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Fix breathes a sigh of relief. It was real. He didn't dream it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'll be the shortest leader of GOTY in history..I'll enjoy the 48 hours..

Advertisement