Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

It was almost certainly an Isis attack, though the usual tinfoil hat wearers are throwing out various conspiracies. We have no idea if the 4 arrested are the perpetrators.

That's the short version

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've asked this in the other thread but is there any verifiable evidence that these are the 4 that actually did it?

By verifiable I don't mean the FSB saying that they did it or any confessions that were gathered under extreme duress.

Are there are photos or videos of them from Friday night, in the act, where they are clearly the 4 that showed up in court yesterday? Everything that I have seen from Friday ether has blurred faces or they were too far away to be identifiable.

I am not asking this trying to be some kind of crank. I just don't know what that link is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I don't think there will ever be verifiable information, russia is doing its damndest to make any statements and evidence worthless while ensuring they have people ready to pay for their crimes in as public a way as possible (the usual anti-NATO/US heads are popping up as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

The apparent fact that the attackers tried to escape rather than blowing themselves up is going to fuel speculation about the true nature of the attack, because it is at least the public perception that real Islamist attacks are usually of a suicide nature, 

That didn't happen in the bataclan attack in Paris, the perpetrators escaped mostly across border into Belgium. Of course the Russian authorities are desperate not to link it to Paris because that rubbishes their link with ukraine and it also says Moscow is no different to a European city to islamists. The Russians always like to think that they are somehow exceptional and not actually the same as other Europeans, that's what they will again anyway when putin imperialist adventure has collapsed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭zv2

Are we sure the wretches that were caught were the real terrorists? Russia has a history of picking up people almost at random and saying 'we got em'-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

Every night in Kyiv there is a terrorist attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

Carry out well planned and executed attack then go to try to cross the border with hundreds of thousands of high alert Russian troops. Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I hope it was those captured men who carried it out because if it was 4 random lads then they’re going through the most horrific torture for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

People saying that the "interrogation" of one of those 4 didn't give the impression of someone able to carry out the skilled operation that was carried out at the Crocus venue.

Anything to that?

And ,despite that story about being recruited on the internet and offered money to do this ,could it be that that man was really an operative very well trained in undergoing interrogations and torture and maybe knowing that the way out is to tell the interrogators what they want to hear(a fiction that suits both sides)

Perhaps they had already got his story out of him and that interrogation for the camera was just to make him say it for the (not so?) gullible Russian public- as well as to satisfy the lust for physical retribution in some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

They may not be being tortured physically. All the fsb has to say is say this or else we kill your family and everyone associated with you. Or say this and your family gets 200k and all their debts paid off. There's different forms of coercion over personal physical torture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

If you look at any of the photos of them in the glass booths in the courthouse or any of the supposed videos these guys almost certainly have been through some of the most extreme physical abuse imaginable.

That said I wouldn't advise it. Just the description was enough to turn me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

While that may be the case in theory, the reality is that these 4 men are most certainly being brutally tortured and the FSB are more than happy to let the world know about it. There is a picture all over Twitter of one of them (clearly identifiable) on the floor, with his hands handcuffed behind his back, his pants around his ankles and someone standing on his legs to pin them down. There is an electrical device wired to his genitals and his face is contorted in agony. There is also a video, doing the rounds on Telegram, of a different one of them having his ear cut off and then being forced to eat it. A third one showed up in court unconscious in a wheelchair, in what appeared to be a surgical gown so god only knows what happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The successful attack and then torture of Muslims might help isis in future recruitment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Far from the first time in Russian history that innocent people would be put on trial and then 'confess' .

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They were being watched all the way from Moscow to see where they would go. Their phones were being monitored to see who they'd contact. There's drone footage of them driving the car. Probably followed them the whole way.

Plus they get to apprehend them when tired. Pretty smart. I see Putin the weasel has publicly accepted it was islamic extremism but still can't help himself mentioning Ukraine. This definitely caught him off guard and is a PR disaster.

There are videos showing the physical torture. Obviously leaked by the Russian security services. Which itself is pretty shocking unless there is absolute 100 percent proof they have the right guys and it seems there is still no evidence of that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The way Putin has set Russian authority up is everything has to seem strong. Whatever 90% of the vote for him it had to be higher than the last vote. The next one will have to be higher again or he won't be strong and he'll have face lost and he's finished straight away. He's hung from a lamppost.

By showing the torture it's as much of a warning to his own people of the strength of Putin and what he is capable of.

It's a backward society but that's how the Putin authority rule as a dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Can't forget the history and what the Russian people have had to endure well before Putin over the last 100 years. Putin isn't seen as the dictator we seen him as by many in Russia. The fact that these attackers were dragged in that state and torture admitted to state tv says it all. The people got what they wanted to see.

Beverly Hills, California

Ah he is. But they can't admit it in public or tell non Russians this. Russians talk in code and they know there's certain words they can't say on the phone even to anyone outside Russia. Anyone asks about Putin. The answer is I'm not political or he is good.

• Advertisement

Perhaps. But what others? I don't think it'll deter Islamic terrorists. More likely deter any Russians who might be thinking of an uprising some day. Just remind them what might await

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

To show that they were leaving no stone unturned in their search for the culprits and show the general public that they were treating them as they deserved to be treated. And many people will be happy to see this. But not everyone will be happy, matter of fact, they will be extremely angry, and are already planning vengeance ie: ISIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

To deter other attacks in Russia. Perhaps consider EU cities where torture isn't legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This could indeed be very dangerous. Russia jamming civilian airlines over Europe. For longest time now .. 47 hours so far.

Have a look at Markus replies to this tweet:

Green dot map shows the new configuration fully focused on almost exlusively Polish controlled airspace (Warzawa FIR), leaving a nice clear corridor for Kaliningrad-flights.

Further down the comments is:

Top list of affected unique airplanes. Poor Poland-flagged 48c131 / SP-RKS takes the podium with 6.5 hours without working GPS (during only 47 hours).

Its crew has some unfortunate routes last days if one wants to avoid GPS-jamming.

Note RYANAIR

As to why we are not hearing of this:

It has been in the news, on and off, officially confirmed from several Baltic countries. Been going on since December.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭beeker1

Mr Putrids FSB bombed an apartment block so as to legitimise his invasion of chechnya , this is clearly Islamic , and hopefully the caucuses inflict more , as a Christian I find their orthodox patriarch support of a killer and subjugator of human rights reprehensible !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

The head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow's other job is with the KGB, so do not be expecting too much Christianity from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

Unless it's to bless cruise missiles or suicide drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well you see Dougal fascists are people who go around wearing all black and telling people what to do, whereas priests......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭beeker1

This is what disturbs me , his clerics know he's killed so many and corrupted himself with his "taxation " of the oligarchs ! I think its "timothy" that says Jesus saves all , bit of a jip if you can get away with mass murder and god only knows what else

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement