Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

farm to your land type and location and not the one size fits all method they are promoting. This is a normal winter for us, cows are in 6 months now, we have close on a cubicle and head space for each cow, we have enough of fodder until the end of april, we breed a cow that works well in indoor conditions, currently milking around 27 litres on bales and 6kg of 18% nut, cows are content only 5 left to calf. It will be 2 weeks before they will be at grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Tegasc haven’t adapted …tgeee reactive rather than proactive …good organisation but there dairy advice is so one dimensional and geared one way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭straight

Last meeting I was at they said - they are thinking of running 3 week calving reports because compact calving is going so well for farmers. One size fits all. Take the loss on the calves they said and if you only get a fiver it's your own fault for not looking after the calf better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Two things first selling entitlements are subject to claw back and capital gains, if no Biss application you are then on the local council radar for inspection, going forward there is no getting away,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭older by the day

Bad accident near here a few years ago. The pump was turned on, the pipe straightened, took the legs from under a lad standing nearby. He got concussion and a broken shoulder. Lucky he didn't get killed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭older by the day

If we had proper farm unions, the calves would be left in co-ops and Teagasc offices at a week old. See how they get on.

dont fuuucking dare pay a union sub this year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I think all that’s pretty much a given though. I think most just love to bash teagasc tbh. I would follow their advice if I thought it was worth a try, equally I wouldn’t if I thought it wouldn’t work.

We’ve been feeding here since late august and still are. Still believe getting cows out to grass in early spring if your land can take them is 100% worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭ginger22

There is no need to feel you are a failure if you didn't calve all your cows in a few weeks or get 30% grazed by end of February.

The real operators are the lads who can roll with the punches and are prepared for the unexpected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was just wondering the same.

What will the council man check? Will he have been trained in the Dept of Ag and know about slurry storage regs?

If he’s only checking water quality, will he leave you alone if the water in your stream tests OK?

I wouldn’t advocate operating outside the BISS system and taking yer chances but I don’t think the Dept of Ag passing you over to the county council is a given either.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t deem any one a failure if that was the case

but the whole point of the thing is if you are going to be spring calving and want to dry off over Christmas you need to calve compactly to get days in milk

if you don’t mind milking year round then belt away and calve them how it suits you.

Used to calve year round here not so long ago and in the autumn after that and now we calve all in 10 weeks. Wouldn’t go back, much more profitable system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The dept of ag do the local authority inspections for them, cattle dealer sold his entitlements 5 years ago and has several inspections and a court appearance for over flowing tanks to a water course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There used to be a lad(beef operator) on here a neighbour complained him( another farmer), the neighbour was complaining that his sheds were polluting his well. The council came out, checked all his tanks and building for planning nothing serious o/o/o. However he had drawn no grant for a few sheds. They went looking for engineer reports. They wanted all tanks emptied, power washed and an engineers report for them. Not sure how it ended up as he left boards.

The new fertlizer register is the real catch when they get it up and running properly. Computers and data catch you in the end. Local lad has 20ish acres cuts two cuts of silage/hay off it every year. Dose most of the work himself except the baling. He has to get a herd/flock/tillage number this year to buy fertiliser.

I am not sure if they have it linked to your Area Aid application yet. But I think you have to fill a fertlizer use report at year end. At a discussion group meeting the Teagasc Advisor made the point that lads needed soil tests buying fertlizer this year as at year end you need a fertlizer plan in place. Not sure if buying ⁸from NI solves that one.

Then there is Bord Bia inspection one small little change in the rules( similar to calf slaughter) and you could be caught offside.

The days of farming off grid are virtually gone. You probably manage get 1-2 years before the sh!t storm hits you

Slava Ukrainii

So much more has changed in that time frame too from facilities increase in numbers etc …there’s no doubt you could make as much or more profit if you still milked year round and calved in autumn ….you decided to lump everything into spring milk.fair play there’s far more pressure from having all your work congested into a small window …there’s challenges from weather which we’re currently experiencing regulation and labour …

It's simple market forces. Traditionally a substantial number of dairy farmers used to have beef operations whether to weanling, store or to finish, but the white gold seemed more profitable. Many assumed that all calves would have a positive value over feed/rearing costs. As Teagasc admitted they forgot about the calf.

It exactly the same as the lads that sell weanlings or stores in the mart in the autumn or the lads selling finished cattle then. You are at the mercy of the market. It was always the Irish beef farmer that created a floor under calf prices competing against each other for the limited supply.

Now they can buy as many as they want. A young lad not too far away dose a bit of contracting and rears a few calves as well. He goes to NZ for the silage season every year, really good tractor mechanic as well. He was on machinery maintenance out there the last few years. He decided to skip the calf buying this year. He was rearing 70ish a year. There is a couple of sad dairy farmers near him at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jaysus Bass you must have a real angst about dairy farmers which is ironic considering you have expounded the virtues of your Fresian bullock system.

I do not have an angst against them. It's just simple economic facts. There are beef farmers going out now paying 3+/kg for stores, they be whinging and crying from October on when the beef base price is probably in the 4.5-4.7/kg base price. Same thing with lads buying yearlings and trying to turn them in 6-8 months.

In beef we all learned the hard way, you have to know your costs and control them. If your costs are wrong you will lose money. Sympathy is not really in my forte either. It's up to everyone to look after there own business. If calves were 2-3 times the price dairy farmers would take the profit( as they be entitled to) and they would not worry if the beef farmer was losing his shirt.

It's all about supply and demand. Most of the issue's with calves were predicted 5+ years ago on the farming forum. When you have too many cows calving in too short a time frame and too few lads to buy and rear them then the simple fact is you will have pressure on price. When you add an issue with calf quality then it fairly obvious what will happen.

Why did that lad decide to stay in NZ for an extra months or so. Last year he was getting calves virtually free with 20L of milk that could not go into the tank. Because he reckoned it was worth more to him I imagine⁹. He be back in a month or so for the silage season.

The most important lad in the farming game at present is the calf rearer.....and there seems to be less of them every year.

And as for the Fr bullocks it was good while it lasted, but the DW's have dropped 30kgs in 2-3 years. So I am moving on.

Business is business

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭morphy87

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Hold on a while .all you need to buy fertilizer is a herd number.lets be clear if you are going to do this you can't have slurry running down the road.council inspections are usually instigated by a water pollution issue they don't have a policy of inspecting farms.yes if you go for planning you will asked to submit a nutrient plan but being in derogation sfp is not a requirement.on the bord bia I can't remember being asked whether I submitted an sfp application or whether I was in derogation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I can’t understand the fixation with avoiding the regs..wouldn’t it just be easier to comply?

Tens of thousands of European farmers can operate on much lower levels of nitrates …and just get on with it. Maybe look to Europe for inspiration rather than the Antipodes?

• Advertisement

You only need a herd number this year. But be under no illusion within two years you will need to submit a nutrient plan. As well cross referencing will happen. The department will cross reference your nitrates to your fertlizer purchases.

No AA application will trigger an inspection fairy fast I imagine when the register is up and running. Cross referencing using data collection is fairly easy. Within 1-2 years an AI bot could be used to do this.

All trying to bypass regulations ever dose in Ireland is for a government or LA department to tighten the rules to force compliance. I am not saying you will not get away with it for 1,2 or even 3 years, but the rules will be enforced.

The minister gives you permission to buy fertiliser through the register. They can withdraw that permissable any stage. If they want to target a situation like you propose, no AA application to permission to buy fertiliser it a simple fix

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Newest craze on twitter for the grass to milk lads that are out of feed is two 3 hour grazing blocks morning/evening 5-7kgs in the parlour and the cows are stood-off without any feed the rest of the time on cubicles....

You'd be scratching your head at the above in all fairness

The lads who cut up their land grazing in the Spring and then they wonder why they have no grass come the summer drought.

It would want to be straight soyahulls and minerals fed with them. Feeding any kind of nut or ratio. Would be crazy unless access to a substantial amount of straw and tgat is not an option as it cannot be got.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Sure that craic has been going on and espoused for 30 years, some of the more extreme NZ inspired zealots would even scoff at the notion of cubicles and stand them in the collecting yards 😳

A lot of them would be very positive farmers at the back of it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭jaymla627

This year is really rattling them in fairness, usually you'd get away with their methods in a normal spring but subjecting cows to months on end off on-off grazing, not buffering etc your going to get issues....

What I can't understand is these guys are top of their class , praised etc by our advisory body as extremely profitable farmers, but they haven't got the money to buy silage/maize etc to buffer cows in the last week of March, doesn't add up

Simplistic advice ….you’d expect nothing less …making excess silage during summer back end near frowned upon …should be getting the opinion or suitably qualified nutritionist at this stage because there clearly out of there depth …forcing cows out in **** weather and standing them off in cubicles with no feed ….them cows will hit some peak …this isn’t time of year to skimp feeding cows heading towards peak and breeding

Not a hope. Been there got the t shirt. Our cow does far better on grass than silage. We might be feeding the milking cows hard now but hopefully soon enough they’ll be in full grass and go full tilt.

just over 180calved now and not much bother with it being a shite spring

• Advertisement

Can't believe cows do better on grazed grass than indoor properly fed. Ours always go back when left out to grass. Admittedly proteins are better on grass but fat is much lower.

Advertisement