Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How far does an EV really go? On a cold horrible day in winter - several current EVs tested

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

There's as much chance of having a tail wind as a head wind as a cross wind in real life so maybe they're cancelling them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Kinda missing the point worrying about head winds and range at 130kph.

"....44% more wind related drag at 120 vs 100 and 70% at 130kph..."

It's like trying to save paint by throwing it at wall instead of using a brush and doing it slowly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

130 is an irrelevant official test as it’s against the law to drive at that speed.

120 max to comply with local laws is more than enough considering many of our roads max out at 100 and the motorways are 120 when traffic is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I avoid charging at public chargers as much as i possibly can. Its not even the price of it that bothers me. Its the time spent queuing to get on the charger, and sometimes I have to drive a long way off my route and back on to it again to get a charge.

Went to a hotel last week for example. There were two cars on the only two chargers all day and all night. I had to get up early next morning and drive 15km in the opposite direction to then end up waiting 45 mins and then to get a 15 min charge.

Public charging has a long way to go.

If the argument is well that's how I drive...

If you are doing significant driving at 130kph and worrying about range go buy a diesel.

I'm not saying it's not interesting, or useful, but it's going to be a tiny % of most peoples use. I realise People on this thread will say it's 80% of their driving, or even if it's 10% of their driving its a journey where non stop range is critical. That's debatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

I disagree but maybe it not clear - I’m saying that a range test at 130kmph would give a fair indication of average actual range actually driving at 120kmph into a 10km wind that is v typical in Ireland (especially driving from say Dublin or Belfast to south west locations .

It about setting expectations for mass market buyers.

(Obviously I’d never admit to driving at 130kmph myself!)

The System or operator shouldn't allow someone to be on a charger for 24 hours. 100kw at 7kw is only 15hrs or so.

Of course you get load balancing. You could be in remote places where the destination charger only gives 1 or 2kw. At that point you could use a granny charger.

In that scenario what you need from that destination charger is enough range to get the 3 nearest fast chargers, not fill the battery. Certainly not fill any thing over 40kw-ish.

I assume the hotel can ask guests to move their cars off the charger if they are blocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

But then shouldn't the test be done on wet roads because that's very common in Ireland too?

And what about the temp, presumably below 10C because that's also common during the winter months?

And with 3/4 adult passengers or a heavy load?

A lot of people order with tow bars, does that need to be included?

I get what you're suggesting, but I think it's a slippery slope of where to stop including adverse conditions.

Are you just unlucky or potentially driving in black spot locations? I see in FB and here many many EV owners saying that in years and years of driving they never had an issue with a charger and never had to wait to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Is driving at 120 into a small wind the same as driving at 130 though? Does it create the same drag? Does the car need the same effort

I don't know the answer

• Advertisement

Already answered above. No it's not comparable.

Most EV drivers rarely use public chargers.

Those that do public the same route frequently often with experience will have worked out the best locations and time to hit them. No different to avoiding traffic on bank holiday.

Most EV groups I read, on FB and other usually have stories about charging stations to avoid and preferred routes. Certainly never seen a group where no one had a problem ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭browne_rob5

In this case the hotel chargers were probably free and as there was only 2 they cant be relied upon. Will be hogged all day/night when they are free so might aswell act like they are not there when planning.

I’ve read that it impacts on fuel consumption in an EV in the same manner - ie 10kmph headwind will increase consumption by approx the same as driving 10kmph faster but certainly I’m not sure and haven’t seen the maths on it

The charging infrastructure is sh1t. No two ways about it. We can point out how it would work with "IFs", but it doesnt. I think its got worse trying to get a charge out and about and ive been driving one EV or another for around 10 years.

Yes ive had people say to me they never had any issues ever looking for a charge while they are after me in a queue for a charger with a couple of cars before us. They are incapable of taking an objective view of the situation.

They were easygo chargers. €1.70 to start charging and €0.70 per kwh i think it was in the app.

There were 4 chargers but two werent working even though the app said they were.

Objectively anyone rocking up to hotel in an ICE needing to fill up will have to travel away from the hotel to fill up.

Can anyone say they've never had to queue for fuel while the drivers in front disappear into a shop. My local garages at peak time like sat they will have a queue for fuel and car wash. I will travel to a garage out of my way to avoid those queues and better petrol.

Yes an EV is not the same. But there are some similarities.

Scraping the bottom of the oil barrel is why EVs exist.

• Advertisement

AFAIK EVs are only around 5% of Total Vehicles. I think the infrastructure (today) is pretty good relative to that.

That said personally I wouldn't buy an EV to use it mainly on public chargers. For a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

I think people should wait until the solid state batteries arrive. It is said that Chinese company NIO is going to come up with an EV next year with solid state battery. Half the weight as of current Lithium batteries, 10 minutes charging time, less expensive, also not affected by winter or summer. But my current Toyota Bz4x is now available for 42,000 and it looks like the same price as of RAV4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

Too long to wait for something which may never realise its marketed potential.

Toyota have been investing in solid state batteries since 2006 and still have nothing to show for it except disingenuous marketing statements.

People who can afford to, should buy a Li-ion BEV now and in 5 years time solid state BEVs might be an option, although unlikely to be commercially competitive for another 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Tesla SuC Sandyford - Killarney , Model Y RWD. Car expected to do the trip with 95%SoC. 5 people and all luggage space filled to the brim made me wonder.

When on the motorway I got a message on the navigation panel "Strong winds from the West". I ignored and continued at the speed+VAT. Stopped in Adare where we had lunch. My wife chose the restaurant with no thoughts to be close to a charger. Turned out to be near the Heritage Center and charged there at the AC. In the end we used 64kWh or 110%SoC. The hotel where we stay, again chosen without any inkling towards EVs, has 6X22kW AC chargers. We've done this trip as we would with previous ICE. Actually more comfortable because I have used autosteer a lot, with very limited input from my side.

We have a long range 75kWh model 3 which would have been even more efficient and comfortable for me the driver but family trumps anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Ev fan

Don't really disagree with anything you've said. If I drove at 120km/hr. On the motorway I think I would probably have made it home with very little battery left - in reality if this was the case I would have stopped off at Carrick on Shannon for a slash and dash. I think in the next 18-months or 2 years genuine 500kms range EVs will be more common. The other thing that will hopefully happen is that there will be a lot more charging hubs dotted around the country so that if you're not in a hurry you can easily stop and charge and get a coffee. On my motorway driving I drive at an Average speed of 103km/hr and when I need to pass a lorry I do it quickly which as you know you can do easily when you have 204bhp on tap. If I do see someone coming up fast behind me I do them the courtesy of letting them go 1st before I pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for that. Appreciate the insight and detail from you and the other guys.

I don't think they're there yet for anyone doing a lot of long motorway spins (like myself) but it's slowly going in the right direction in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

In December I got from Carlow to Belfast and had 30% left in the id3 tour 5 77 Kwh ( 73 usable ) actually 82 Kwh in total, this is speed limit all the way, maybe 110 on the N7, weather was around 9 deg and rain from around Dundalk.

I did the same trip not long after getting the car in late 2021 with the same results. 75,530 kms now and still showing 73 Kwh, no doubt that huge buffer makes a difference along with not charging beyond 80% much.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

My best ever result 790 Kilometers with 1 % remaining.Mercedes EQS 450. I admit I kept below speed limit Eco mode and seat heat only.All in the interest of science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Depends on your motorway usage really. I regularly do Dublin to Antrim, Limerick and Cork.

I have fast chargers available on all routes on the return journey. I'd only put enough in to get me home as it's expensive. So I'd only be doing a 30 to 50% charge something like that. So it's only a few mins.

I've destination charging in Antrim now too so don't even have to stop if I don't want.

It's not as hard charging as some people think once you get in a routine.

I do each trip once a month.

Advertisement