Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

It's mad how to anti-Kenny crowd just won't let him go. I've never seen the like of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

But they aren't going to be down 10k people... because there were people interested in going to A GAME but were turned off by the package deal... They ended up buying nothing. That's who they are targeting here.

Suppose we'll know a bit more from the attendance tonight

It is a bit of "what if" though I do suppose as you wouldn't know unless they actually the single ticket sales but I would guess you would have seen a better turnout on Saturday anyway.

Might even have created a better atmosphere even, help create an environment where people return because the experience was good... Crazy idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Probably because we wasted 3 years with a guy many of us knew wasn't up to the job from the beginning. Which has been a very frustrating time for many of our fans. It will take time for things to settle down again and fans to regain their optimism for the future.

I for one completely struggled to have any enthusiasm for the national team during this time, because I have followed Kenny's career from the beginning and I knew none of the BS hype was justified on merit and none of the foolish pipe dreams would come true. So I've had to endure all the pro-Kenny nonsense, while knowing we were going nowhere. I'm glad it's finally over, but it took far too long. Kenny's reign did significant damage to our ranking as well, so it's still quite difficult to be optimistic about our future qualification prospects. I've got nothing against Kenny on a personal level, but there is no way he should have ever been given the Ireland job.

Martin O'Neill and Keane were streets ahead of Kenny in their understanding of how to set us up to get results at this level, and it's disgraceful how they were treated at the end of their reign by many of our fans and the media. I haven't forgotten the arrogance and stupidity of many people, when wanting to dump O'Neill and foolishly thinking Kenny was a superior option. Those brain dead fans/media figures haven't gone away... they're still around... they're just a bit more quiet right now, after being resolutely humbled and chastened by Kenny's disastrous performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

How were you so certain from before Kenny took the job that he was going to be a failure? What does your crystal ball say about John O'Shea if he gets the gig?

MON was our best manager since McCarthy the first time around and he deserves a lot of credit and respect. However it turned extremely sour very quickly at the end. The last year of his reign was worse than any of the Kenny era IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

“Now that the person I hated being in charge and was constantly negative towards during his time in charge is gone, we should all start being positive”.

Im happy to give whoever gets the job a fair chance, but it’s going to take a bit more that a friendly draw against a second string Belgium side to convince me that O’Shea and/or Kerr are the right people to bring success to this team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Musicrules

More like; now that the worst manager in our history is gone, the manager who failed miserably on 6 fronts and drove our rankings down to 62nd in the world, we can only have hope that the next manager can turn things around and recover from the wasted 3 years under Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

With respect to the issue of him still being Manager, are any posters still pro-Kenny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

Can’t speak for anyone else of course but as someone who was a fan of his appointment it was right that he was sacked. He definitely wasn’t up to it, and even though he got a tough group he made some pretty glaring mistakes, particularly with Greece away and Netherlands at home.

What I would disagree with in regards to any conversation about his legacy, is that he set back Irish football by years, or that any potential failures in the upcoming campaign can be attributed to him. He’s gone, rightly so - that’s the end of the conversation around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I suppose given what came before it's hard to know how anyone else would have done much better. His passion for the job was refreshing and he brought some different ideas. Time to go but there was a better feeling around the team until the end of last year which had obviously developed into a farce.

Josh Cullen being your only (very loosely) competent defensive minded midfielder is a huge problem and not one easily addressed by the next manager.

I do wonder if Nathan Collins would have the scope to do a Declan Rice and play a further forward role that doesn't exploit his defensive frailties so much but can't see him getting those chances in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Musicrules

So dropping from 34th in the world to 62nd doesn't have any negative effects for Ireland? 🤣 Having many of our promising young players enter senior international football under the direction of an incompetent manager, with a losing culture doesn't have a negative effect?

The new manager has to pick us up off the floor. That is a very difficult job to do. We're all glad that Kenny's gone but we shouldn't forget how bad it was under him because some of his supporters are uncomfortable. And we definitely shouldn't let those supporters, especially in the media, away with sniping at the new manager because their man was exposed as a terrible manager.

Hopefully the recovery continues against Switzerland tonight and then the manager appointment brings some positivity back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

No Ogbene tonight whose returned to his club. Hopefully it's only a minor knock. He's having a good season so far with Luton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sagnol & Poyet go head to head at 5. Loser to be announced as new Ireland manager afterward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

It's a real pity about Ogbene. He's definitely good enough to get a move to another Premire League club if Luton go down.

Maybe Johnstone starts ahead of him.

Yeah could see someone like Brentford having some interest in Ogbene. Would suit them because Thomas Frank likes to switch between 4-3-3 and 3-5-2. Think the only issue is he'd be joining them to be squad cover.

Think he'll play Jason Knight because he brings more defensively than Johnston.

Ogbene is very versatile, and an excellent player. One of the fastest in the PL.

Would hate to see him go anywhere to be cover. I think/hope he could do better than Brentford too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

U17s hammered 5-0 v Croatia. Out of Euros

Think if it's not another team that will be in and around the bottom six then Ogbene might not be seen as a starter when signed. But from looking back on his career then he's the one player I'd back the most to prove me wrong.

Though my team is Bradford City and don't really pay much attention to other teams that Irish players don't play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,806 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Would be nice to see Jake O'Brien get a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Played 3, Lost 3, Conceded 11, Scored 1. This season has been a shocker for the U17s when you even include the other qualifiers back in November. Beat Armenia 4-0 but two 0-0 draws against Iceland and Switzerland. O'Brien and Mohan have served us well with the U17s and U19s but feel it's about time we had a shake up at underage level with the coaches. Both O'Brien and Mohan have been with their respective teams for nearly 8 years now and Crawford will be with the U21s for 5 years once this campaign is over. Vast majority of the squad will be overage after these qualifiers and should consider promoting McShane to manager and have Mohan working with him as he's worked with the 04 and 05 groups. If they want to keep it in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

• Advertisement

Bar Chiedozie I could see no other changes happening and if there is can see it being one or two only. Bazunu and Doherty for Kelleher and Coleman would have been the only changes I could see before the news regarding Chieo. Who I think will be replaced by Knight going off Saturdays substitutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Or the form at that age group is indictive of the underfunding in grass roots and LOI academies. The Croatians do youth development the correct way, we do not.

Would love to see Festy get a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

He just doesnt have the end product to make it much higher then lower level EPL team imo. He works his socks off and has great speed but seems to lack consistency.

He's looked better in his Ireland games than most EPL games I've seen him play so maybe thats why he's overrated by some Irish fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Why? He looked way out of his depth in a half speed game when he came on on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wasn't just me so. Looked like a lad just thrown in from stands. The lack of pace......

I think he's a better option than Doherty. The difference in Doherty playing for Ireland when he's getting regular starts for his club, versus when he isnt, is incredible. When he's getting good game time at whatever club he's at, he's a very, very good player, but when he isnt, he's way off the pace.

Festy is getting regular game time at Udinese, and I'd like to see what impact he could have from the start of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It was like they pulled a random guy from the Lansdowne gym and asked him to just jog around a bit.

Although I remember Kevin Kilbane's first start when he looked utterly useless. Dragged off at HT and was lucky to get that far. Went on to get 100+ caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,012 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I know it's still early days but I find Ferguson's recent form a bit concerning. Needs a goal. He's probably our best prospect right now and it would be a shame if he goes the way of every other prospect for the last 15 + years.

Regardless of who the new manager is our situation is still grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Festy should start. He's playing quite regularly in Serie A, and at a higher level than most of our squad. It's a friendly, give him a start and hook him at half time if he's not up to it. Really see what he's made of. What's the harm?

Every time I think of Doherty in a green shirt all I can picture is his god awful lazy defending in the 2-1 lose over Scotland in the Nations League. One of those dummy targets used in training would have put more effort into preventing the cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Maybe Oshea sees him in training and thinks he’s ****?

His cameo of 6 or so mins he done 2-3 **** things so I could see why.

bottom half of serie A is a **** standard

He's 21 and could arguably be our first choice RB for the next 10 years. I can't see Coleman being permitted to start two friendly matches in a row and at 35 we need to be looking at alternatives. The other alternative is a 32 year-old Doherty on the downswing of his career who rarely impresses in an Irish shirt, or possibly Dara O'Shea (no issues there). This is the exact type of fixture we should be looking to start Ebosele in before the Nations League begins.

Nehuen Perez started for Argentina in a friendly on Saturday. He also plays for Udinese. If playing for **** standard bottom half Serie A team is good enough for the world champions then it's good enough for us.

If Oshea and his coaches have looked at him and don’t rate him then they shouldn’t pick him. Keep it simple. Stick to what you know. Don’t try and crystal ball the future. Stick to what you know : what is he good at?, what is he bad at? Does it warrant a place in the team?

fans think coaches think like they do. They don’t.

• Advertisement

Ultimately the only way to properly judge him is to give him some meaningful minutes. I'm not a massive fan of Ebosele but I'm open to what he can bring to the side in an aging position for us.

I'd like to think O'Shea has done some research on him by watching him play for Udinese, and has made the decision he's good enough for the squad. A poor 6 minute cameo shouldn't be enough to decide whether he's good enough or not.

It's the FAI so of course there's a lack of funding. Nearly every country are putting in more work on the ground with grassroots football and even NI have a full time academy for their U15 and U16 players. But 8 years is too long for a coach to be in the same role. Lads could nearly apply for tenure at this stage. Mohan did 4 years over the U17s and for the U19s it should have been another 4 which would have coincided with Kenny leaving the U21s to open a spot for Mohan to get involved with the U21s.

i don’t think we should be giving lads a go because we don’t know what they are capable of without throwing them in.

i think how football managers look at things like this by what is he doing in training and off the bench. Is he outperforming competition for his place?

football fans and a lot of media look at it like “sure give him a go what’s the harm”

different mindsets

As I said you'd imagine O'Shea has done his research on what matters most and that's how he performs on march day. If Eden Hazard was only ever selected based on how he trained he wouldn't have been selected as often as he was throughout his career as it was well established how lazy and poor a trainer he was.

He's not some 18 year-old with a handful of appearances to his name. He's something like over 40 Serie A appearances and equal amount in the Championship for Derby. He's made a good start to his professional career, is highly regarded at Udinese from reports, and deserves the chance to carry that reputation over into international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And has already been selected for the squad, so clearly the managerial decision has already been made that he adds value.

would like to see him get at least 30 minutes. The fact he was actually brought on the last day gives the impression O’Shea wants to see him in action too. Wasn’t a great few minutes, but it was only a few minutes. Players need a little time to feel their way into a game sometimes.

• Advertisement

I’m just telling you how managers not fans take these decisions

That's that argument boxed off so.

Three changes; smallbone, kelleher and Ogbene out. Knight, Bazunu and Johnston in

Hope Brady and Coleman's legs can manage that sort of quick turnaround!

Nice to see Johnston get a start. Hopefully get a few changes on 60 minutes and get to see a few more lads get some time. Ultimately, the only value we can take from these two games is positive individual performances - anything tactical will be wiped clean immediately with a new manager anyway.

Surely on Wednesday night is when the three wise men will also put their proposal for the next manager to the board for approval. So might know come Thursday morning what's happening on that front.

The fact they were so specific about April would make me think we'll have to wait a few more days yet.

Elsewhere, the "loser goes to ireland" playoff looks a tight affair, still 0-0 late in added time now.

<edit> extra time it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

This is a great watch, brilliant tension and two teams playing decent stuff at a tempo i'm not sure we could ever match, even with these lads increasingly tired legs now.

Into the second half of extra time now - Greece rattled the crossbar in the first half of extra time, while Georgia forced the Greek keeper into a great point blank save. Greece a little more controlled, while Georgia are breaking fast and pressing hard. Kvara just had to come off though, which is a big blow for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Battle of the potential Ireland managers locked in a nil nil shootout. A perfect fit for Ireland ha

Honestly, we could only hope to play at the tempo these two teams have played at today... thankfully neither side has been playing for pens, which usually ruins extra time. Quality and intensity has been high. Really enjoyable (the stakes and tension definitely help too!).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement