Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭techman1

Dublin isn't Bogota or Rio de Janeiro, its generally a safe european city like every other city in Europe. If people want to party late .thats their decision like in other cities in Europe. We love to say what great europeans we are and how amsterdam has all those cycle lanes and greenways etc and how we should do likewise but when it comes to european style bars and clubs, oh no ah sure we couldn't be havin that, sure the poor crators will go mad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's good that premises will have the option but I don't see it helping their businesses, the culture is rapidly changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,533 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As a result most places will not avail of the ability to stay open later and everyone will still end up being turfed out at the same time.

Seriously though, this has been in place in England for almost 20 years now, I'm sure there is a wealth of research available and analysis both pro and con the current laws there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was on holiday in Spain three weeks ago. It was novel to see places stay open so late- probably because it was my first time abroad since pre-Covid and hadn't been to a party spot before. Also noticeable how few visible police were on patrol at night, maybe because public order offences were slim to none.

I don't get why every potential change to legislation here is greeted with 'but...but...but....will someone think of the children'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I wish someone - instead of trotting out silly “nanny state at it again” or “holy Catholic ireland doesn’t want paddy to go mad” type rubbishy arguments would address the following:

lack of public transport in middle of the night? Particularly so outside Dublin

Gardai resourcing to ensure policing of the heavily intoxicated drunks and drugged at 4:45 am ?-the negotiations for that will be fun...:/

Health resources (A & E and hospitals resourced so that 4:45am is now “rush hour” ?- the nurses will love that...

Public health consequences down the line say 5 years? Alcohol and drug addiction rates?

Consequences on street crime and drug dealing?

Consequences on drink and drug driving in early hours of the morning due to lack of public transport?

Labour resourcing - staffing to work all night and what pay will be provided?

Noise pollution and general annoyance in residential areas where families are in bed asleep but have to get up at 6 am to go to work and school?

Have at it, folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why are you banging on about drugs?

Also, please define the word "woke" that you have repeatedly used.

Why do I mention drugs? Because I have decades of experience of living in Ireland and I am not naive.

Drugs are a huge part of Irish social scene - absolutely intertwined.

I haven’t used woke repeatedly - check back my posts. I responded to 1 post saying this proposal is woke.

if you are asking me what woke means for me - it means pathetic attempts by politicians to be trendy and “cool” in an attempt to attract popularity.

Drugs aren't being made legal by this legislation.

So you have a definition of woke that doesn't align with any dictionary and means "things I don't like, waa". Great. Makes it far easier to dismiss your comments as baseless moans.

It would be great if people realise that using "woke" makes it blatantly clear that you don't know what you're talking about, don't know what the word means, and are just angry and incoherent. Everyone who uses it is just angry and incoherent.

Please address my earlier post and stop firing abuse at me. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I did.

Drugs aren't being made legal by this legislation.

You admitted that you use "woke" as a term of abuse for politicians (because you don't understand the word), so trying to claim anything relating to that is abuse is hilarious.

I raised many more issues than woke.

Forget about woke, you can have that if you wish, - that’s not my central point.

My central point is there are a myriad of societal consequences that the “ah sure be grand” brigade are ignoring or refusing to address because they know there is no quick fix solution or glib sound bite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Has this been taken into effect now ?

This thread has had everything you are going to come up with done to death already.

The consultation on this legislation had it all done to death already.

There is nothing "woke" - either your, common and telling, misinterpretation of the meaning or the actual, utterly irrelevant to this, meaning - about the legislation. Its basically dragging Ireland in to the 1980s; reducing the nanny stateism and will, in time, reduce some of the childish behaviour around alcohol that the country has because of being treated like children. This is sensible legislation, which we should have had decades ago - and likely would have had had John O'Donoghue never been let near Justice.

There won't be a rush to get three pints at last orders when last orders is two hours after you go to bed. Anyone who has actually been in places that have proper late opening know that by the time places close, they're empty. Everyone goes home when they want to, not when the Government tells them to. Streets, bus stops, taxi ranks and takeaways don't get crammed in one ten minute period because not everyone leaves in one ten minute period.

The nanny state brigade ignore reality because they like people to be treated like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

People who are determined to keep the party going will do so whether pubs and clubs are open or not.

Indeed most of drink and drug related deaths occur in homes after hours rather than at pubs and clubs, because when you remove that element of supervision the level of harm increases.

Longer hours also allows people to finish at their own time and drink at their own pace - less FOMO and rush to order 2 drinks at last orders.

From a psychology point of view, making something restricted and taboo only increades people's tendencies to put it on a pedestal. If you want a more European, calm and moderate approach to alcohol in this country you need to make it more available, and get rid of the taboo around alcohol. Again this is well known, proven stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It also isn't Berlin or Barcelona.. Also in those European cities have a highly visible Police presence.. we don't have that here. Ever try talking back to the Polizei??

In a nation that's known for its binge drinking(and in Dublin city centre known for its antisocial behavior)... We're not like the Spanish who will only go to a drinking establishment until 9 or 10pm.. And in those cities the only ones falling about the place or fighting in the streets are the tourists..

(As for going on about cycle lanes and Greenways, no idea what you're on about there.)

...have you been to Spain? Excluding tourist resorts full of Brits.

At 9, they're having dinner. They haven't gone out yet.

So, so much of Dublin's issues are related to everywhere kicking out at the same time.

Yeap, after closing time the Policía Local out patrolling in their White cars ensuring order on the streets..

Do you honestly think we will become "Spanish" overnight.. going out for dinner at 9pm and the pub at midnight? What would the pubs do to make up for the lack of early evening customers... We're Irish, many like to get out early and home early.. Thursdays now are the busiest times for pubs as the after work crowd now work from home on a Friday so things are changing..

You were wildly misrepresenting Spain initially. Why?

We'd adapt to a new reality pretty damn quick. The nanny staters told us that if Good Friday drinking was allowed it would be four days of mayhem unleashed.

Reality was that by year two, it was just another Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend - dead as dead can be. I'd be absolutely certain the amount of alcohol consumed on the day has crashed, as the "naughty" parties have been replaced by people not going to the pubs they can legally go to. I've even seen a pub - just one, so far - saying they're going back to closing, because there's no trade.

Same would happen with later opening. We'd have a few weekends of comparative madness and then it'd be like UK cities - very similar, if not worse, drinking culture; but music nightclubs opening til 6 is normal. No admission after ~2, people leave when they want to, no issues whatsoever.

Right, so according to you Late night licencing will solve the issues of limited night opening.. ok, good luck, probably won't get passed into law during this Government and if it does then will be subject to commercial demands, which is most Irish towns and villages won't even know the new laws exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just absolutely ridiculous that a person can't get a drink at 4 or 5 am in a modern large capital city like Dublin.

If it doesn't get taken up by nightclubs, it can't cause any of the dire issues that people are claiming will result. That is not a reason to not implement it.

We have to reduce the ridiculous babying around alcohol in this country if we don't want the obvious outcome of being babied - people acting like children. The current Government has brought in two ridiculous babying things (one, the seperate sections in shops, just makes alcohol even more alluring to actual children), they can at least bring this in to counterbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

O Cuiv on VM1 now giving out about the proposed changes.

Seems to be only coffin dodgers who are against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It seems to me that many of the people opposing it are never next nor near a town or city centre that might have these later opening hours, and would have no intention to be there yet are very vocal about opposing it from their rural or suburbia house far away from such venues.

You’d swear this was something new, when I started going out in the mid 00’s many clubs had a “theatre” licence. I recall pegging it many times for the Nitelink to just about make the 04:30 last bus, because you could be served til 03:30 and in reality in those places it was 04:30 before you got out.

Then it was food and onto this early house place on the quays that opened around 06:30 and we left around 08:30 home on the early buses. This was all in Dublin.

Many places around Europe I’ve gone out in and had long nights out and also normal nights out. Different venues catered to different needs. Some closed early, some late and some bars even open 24 hours! And guess what? There was never this mad rush to drown oneself with alcohol to try and get drunk before you had to call it a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

You can see a lot of the usual innuendo and fear on display here from the nanny staters. There's a very domineering authoritarian control streak running through the psyche of a lot of folks here. It's a sick trait to have to be honest, it's close to what could be described as social bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Does this mean a 2 0'clock bird will become a 6 o'clock bird?

Ok - so back to the real world - anyone in favour of the “open all night” proposal - please addresses the concerns in my post point by point.

Or is it the case that ppl have no solutions but want to bull the changes through regardless of societal consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I'd say the Galway Hooker by Heuston as it opens at 7am but frustratingly it closes seemingly at random but you can never get served after around 6.50pm - annoying when trains are running till 11. I often get the 9pm to Cork and would love a pint or two as I wait.

Read the thread. Every point has been dealt with.

The societal consequences you think of are ones you have invented due to your personal prejudices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I love a drink, the social aspect is waning due to the costs but a nice drink is relaxing.

I have never taken drugs - yet I support the legalisation/decriminalisation of cannabis, why ? Because it's none of my damn business what a grown adult does.

Alcohol can cause medical and societal problems; gambling can cause societal problems; so can drugs - so can addictions to anything!!

But when a tiny minority cannot handle it and millions can - why punish the majority ??

Advertisement