Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

If they didn't act like clowns at that meeting then I think all this about the payments would have eventually blown over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,806 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Irish managers have such few opportunities in world football and the U21 job is a fairly decent proving ground. There's no point wasting the role on Crawford, a guy who will never manage for us at the senior level. The job should go to a young manager who has potential and might not easily have a chance to learn and prove himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

The subtext of it all was shocking; 'The Delaney era is over and its totally fine to send us more taxpayers money. Also, here's a 12k payment made to the CEO because of a joke that got out of hand'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's mad logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gus in to evens for the job with Boylesports but hasn't moved with the other bookies since last night. Seemingly no clear indication yet that he's the FAI's man and it's hard to imagine such an exuberant guy keeping such news completely under wraps...

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Bang on the money. It's not about demonising Kenny, it's not really his fault that he was completely out of his depth. Nor do I blame him for taking the job obviously (although he should probably have stepped down rather than signing a new contract with how bad things were going).

It's more about the clueless cohort who were promoting him and exaggerating his achievements in the game, and refused to listen to anyone who made legitimate points until the end when the writing was on the wall. These same people will be trying to control the narrative around the next appointment, despite being so off the mark the last time. We really can't afford to make another calamitous mistake with the next appointment. It has to be based on sound logic and not some foolish notions and pipe dreams.

What many of these people failed to grasp, is that O'Neill wasn't playing pragmatic/functional football because he necessarily loved that style. He was doing it because that's what made the most logical sense based on his and Keane's assessment of what talent we had at our disposal - particularly in the midfield area. And they were correct in that decision. Anyone who followed O'Neill over the years, knows that he liked to play exciting attacking football, if possible... but it has to be realistic based on what you've got to work with.

All Kenny's appointment really proved, was just how good a job O'Neill and Keane actually did when you consider the lack of genuine quality at their disposal. But of course, many of us already knew this despite some disappointing results near the end of his reign. The notion that Kenny was somehow a step forward from O'Neill, was a ridiculous idea. In fact, Kenny was a step down even from Mick McCarthy - and I said as much at the time and was very disappointed that we didn't try harder to convince McCarthy to stay on longer. Kenny was promising the moon and the stars, and delivered nothing... at least McCarthy would have made us competitive and hard to play against. Anything beyond that is really heavily dependant on finding some quality young players like we did with the golden generation of Duff/Keane etc.

You can't make wine out of water at this level of competition. You've got to be sensible and pragmatic when working with very limited players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

We should appoint an U21 manager simultaneously with the senior manager next month. Tell him he has the job after the senior manager. While at the same time hinting heavily to the senior assistant manager that he'll get a spin in the top job when the U21 Manager flops at it. Ah I know it's too far fetched!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Make sure to lock the senior assistant into a lucrative contract so he continues to be well paid even after the manager decides he doesn't want him on his coaching team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Only got to watch last nights game this morning due to work etc. I am by no means a football aficionado. I go to a LOI game about once a month, have only a passing interest in the premier league and never been to the Aviva. I might be way off the mark but, thought last nights performance was similar or marginally better than most of the performances turned in during the SK reign. And we huffed an puffed for the last 10 mins without really looking dangerous.

And the media asking nearly every player if JOS would be a good manager afterwards. You are not going to say he isn't in case he does end up being the new man or at least part of his backroom team. I thought Knight was very poor last night. Especially in terms of creativity. If Kelleher can get a transfer to a club where he will be No 1 I can see him usurping Bazunu as number one. It looks like it will be Poyet as the new manager if all the reports are to be believed.

It will be good to have a volatile character in there I think to be honest, one that will place both demands on the players and FAI. His greek teams seemed to play with not only agression but, control as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The options of O'Shea and Poyet are both fairly grim if that's all they can come up with in the last few months.

While O'Shea could become a good manager, he was part of the last management team and still learning so I think its too early for him. He obviously gets on with the players and they look up to him but I wouldn't put much stock in anything the players say to the media about the manager. If Keith Andrews or Robbie Keane were in charge for the 2 games with the same results and performances then nobody would be looking for them to stay on, JOS is just much more popular with fans

What has Poyet done with Greece except beat Ireland H&A? Failed to qualify last night and by what I saw online they were very poor. If we hadn't played them and they achieved similar results would he even be mentioned?

I still expect it to be someone left field that hasn't been leaked yet or maybe I'm just hoping for that. Would love to see Duffer get it but looks unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If Greece won that penalty shootout would Sagnol be even money today? This carry on has been going on so long I won’t believe it till I see it.

There was a poster here a couple of weeks ago trying to make out that they had changed. They had only changed because they were being closely monitored. Jonathan Hill should have been sacked after that Dáil committee fiasco. A lot of store put in what Canham said a few weeks ago about a managerial appointment in April and he should be sacked if it’s O’Shea. Again I dont think they’ve changed all that much just because they seem to be appointing FAI heads from outside the jurisdiction.

All of this is 100 percent true, and some of them are still living in cloud cuckoo land. For some it appears the penny just won’t drop. We need to learn how to win again and winning “ugly” by some people’s terms especially at the start will most likely be necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

I can't see it being Duffer, but I'm also hoping it's someone left of field.

After Carsely, there's no universally popular option out of those that have been discussed in the last 3 or 4 months, so whoever it is, there'll be people whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Or maybe our squad simply isnt that good and its going to take years to get back to being some what competitive with 1st and 2nd seeds? in my opinion its a long time since we regularly "won games".

2010, won 4 out of 10, 2012 won 6 out of 10, 2014 won 4 out of 10, 2016 won 5 out of 10, 2018 qualifying won 5 out of 10, 2020 won 3 out of 8, 2022 won 2 out of 8.

Ireland dont win many games. once out of the last 7 qualifies have we won more than 50% of our games. the quality of the national team has been on a downward trend for years and until we find 2 proper midfielders thats not going to change in my opinion.

As an aside the give John O'Shea the job posters have gone quiet today. I dont think any of the options we have are good at this stage and i think its going to be another 2 or 4 years of a struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

They’ve changed because they commissioned numerous studies and taken on all the corporate governance recommendations from those studies like independent board members, gender quotas and term limits. Not because Jonathan hill is English as you seem to suggest . The fai would prefer Niall Quinn as there full time ceo but he wasn’t interested in staying beyond an interim role.

but improved corporate governance does not allow you to have more money to appoint football managers or it doesn’t cure the numerous other ills in Irish football. Improved corporate governance leads to a more responsible method of business administration management. That is what has changed.

that will not fix Irish football because the problem with Irish football is that it has a broken financial model. That was never addressed in the aftermath of the Delaney scandal. The entire focus was on Delaney and would he go to prison and none was how do we use this scandal to audit Irish football and its failed financial model.

and if the FAI sack Jonathan Hill and don’t address the problem with the financial model then nothing much will change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I said it as soon as he was sacked by Lincoln but Mark Kennedy is the guy I'd be looking at. He won't be expecting a huge wage, his Lincoln team played some great football by all accounts and things just went a bit sour at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

If we are going to take a punt on someone, take a punt on a manager who takes risks and is aggressive. Another few years under JOS who plays not to lose will really kill off any remaining interest people have in the team. 90 minutes of Seamus Coleman last night was embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Was at the match close to pitch side for Ireland attacking last night and Idah was 10 times the player Ferguson was in his short time on. For a big lad, Ferguson can't hold the ball up at all. I really hope its just a bad phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Can't picture Gus Poyet working for the FAI.

A bit more devilment would be to his benefit. Far too passive. Doesn't seem to appreciate his physical attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

At this stage just make a list and draw a name from a hat and boom they're the new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think O neil and keane had better players to work with, so its not right comparing them, glen whealan and David meyler were way ahead of knight and cullen and that is the area of the pitch that losses us the games.

Not much at bicycle kicks though. If you’re buying Idah stock and selling Ferguson stock, I think you’ll be taking a loss. Idah never gonna be much for Ireland. He’s grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Exactly. Thats one of the reasons O'Shea has been an upgrade over Kenny. Kenny's attempted midfield/possession heavy style just kept highlighting the weakness of midfield and falling apart. We dont have an actual classic DM to keep a midfield in shape.

I'm not surprised O'Shea is being mentioned as a Kenny replacement.

The guys marking these appointments are incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

Surprised no ones mentioning Slavin Billíc. International experience and his contract is up in April

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Ferdinand pushing O'Shea in the press now. He must think he's in with a good chance if he has people making his case in the media.

Was ruled out by the 42 a few weeks ago. I'd say the money he's on over there is significantly more that we can offer as well so he'll be looking for a similar paying role somewhere

O'Shea tried the same formation last night and we were overrun in midfield again like so many Kenny games so not sure how he's an upgrade

• Advertisement

They changed because they’re being watched and even then Hill got caught out with a “the money was just resting in my account” type joke that went misunderstood type story.

you think independent board members who have joined the board in the past year or so and to my thinking are not employed by the FAI are in on the scam?

No I didn’t say that, why are you even asking me that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

We don't have the midfield and we're not going to qualify for the next major tournament so give the job to a good honest Irishman in O'Shea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Whoever gets it is on a hiding to nothing to be honest. A lot of fans fall into the “try to play progressive, attacking football” bucket and a lot of others fall into “win ugly” territory. Fact of the matter is that it will be very, very difficult for a manager to win many games with these players so he’ll have a sizeable cohort who will want him out when results don’t materialise whatever style we play and some will still decry the manager even if he’s doing well with a style that they don’t want.

Maybe I’m wrong but feels we’re in one of those 20-30 year barren spells that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have all endured. Problem for us is that a couple of them are doing pretty well.

It’ll swing around for us at some point but I believe it could be a while.

You mention those countries above having barren spells as if we weren't playing football for nearly 70 years before qualifying for a major tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's very hard to do much with that midfield issue.

I hate the idea of shoe-horning people in out of position - but I'd be tempted to try Coleman as a double-6 next to Cullen. None of our other midfielders are natural DMs anyway, and Coleman's just so positionally intelligent and experienced he might be worth a try. Would much rather him there than any of our much more inexperienced CBs for instance. It also doesn't require as much running from Coleman as haring up the flank does, and keeps his leadership and tactical discipline on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I would also say countries fortunes do not turn around out of thin air. You have to put in place the proper infrastructure and pathways for that to happen. We are in the mess we are now as a result of having infrastructure and pathways for our top young players to develop being chronically under invested in for decades and once the money started to pour into the epl and we couldn't just depend on them to develop our more promising younger players any more then we gradually fell away to where we are now.

Now obviously with the beginnings of an academy system in the LOI and the national leagues as examples we are making some positive changes that will benefit us in time but we have a long long way to go to put it mildly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Colemans legs are gone from watching him last night, he kept fouling because of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭maximus15

O shea shouldn't just get job by default cos we are currently sh**e . His in game tactics last night in particular were not good enough and time to move on from Brady and coleman as wing backs , they have served us well but need to persist with other options . Otherwise we stagnate completely if stick to lads who are on the decline . Last night was perfect opportunity for likes of moran , hodge , azaz, ebosele and obafemi to get proper game time .

We have already seen enough of most of last night's team and pointless exercise bringing on likes of o dowda when we know what he offers . A new manager needs to try different options , not resort to type like o shea did . Type hasnt worked for last few years so it won't now .

Coleman would get steamrollered in midfield.

Well you think the FAI haven’t changed… The old FAI was basically ran by Delaney at executive level, he told the board what was happening and they had little option but to agree with him. This included for his own contract and salary level.

if you think Jonathan hill is doing this then you’re wrong.

the old cfo of the FAI was a seventy something year old man who hadn’t a clue how many bank accounts the FAI had. Do you think the present CFO is that uninformed?

there are other examples such as the expense account that Delaney had at his disposal and taking his girlfriend on business trips.

so to say the FAI hasn’t changed is uninformed drivel in my opinion. The FAI’s level of corporate governance is transformed. But its financial model (the men’s senior national team is the breadwinner for the entirety of football in Ireland) is a failed model. Until that changes, the FAI will always be short of financial resources unless they luck out with a brilliant team that’s very marketable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I found the team selections strange from O'Shea and Co.

Apart from the goalies, he basically picked the same Xi for both games. While the countries are entitled to select who they want, selecting the same Xi for 2 games in a few days at this time in a long season is nuts, especially when it's unnecessary. I can't see the likes of Everton and Diash being delighted with Coleman getting 2 starts at this stage of his career, same with Brady (although he hasn't played much).

They can pick who they like, but the real polotik of it is well have to work with Everton and Diash for the next while, whether for Coleman or for others. What's the point of flogging these players for no benefit. There were others who traveled and tbh deserved a run out. Seamus isn't gong to last forever.

ebosele played vs Belgium and was incredibly shite. His six minutes or so on the pitch were incredible in that he committed 2 cardinal sins of football within them.

if ebosele wants time on the pitch he has to fill in for Coleman or Ogbene, not be completely pale shadows of their impact on the pitch and not be what he was versus Belgium - a liability

• Advertisement

I find it very hard to get on someone's back for any performance coming on in the 86th minute of a game - especially in a friendly. For me that's just a null appearance... like, yeah, he wasn't good in those few minutes but you've no time to get up to the pace of things or anything. Any cameo less than 20 minutes is basically too short to actually learn anything from imo.

I don’t find it that hard, it’s international football. You have to do better than what Ebosele did. If memory serves, he got ran past on the outside by doku, then doku cut across in front of him on the inside towards the center and he just gave up chasing him. It was incredible.

earlier he committed another cardinal sin of giving away the ball cheaply when we had a corner and there was a load of space behind him with not many Irish defenders in that space.

I hope he’s better than what he’s shown.

He left Kenny’s last camp with an injury that was also a bit strange for reasons not worth going into.

It took me way to long to realize you were talking about Sean Dyche 😅

That's the problem with someone just getting these two games as a temp I guess... a full-time manager can use two games like this to try a whole bunch of stuff out, whereas really all that mattered for O'Shea was trying to get something half reputable looking out of the result to help him land another job. Even with that, the in-game changes left a lot to be desired. Like, two games in which we're really struggling to score, and Obafemi doesn't get a single minute on the pitch. He's no world beater himself, but I think it's fair to argue that he's the most likely player on the bench - maybe along with Idah - to score a goal. And it's not like it's a case of one or the other either, they're quite different, and quite compatible players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yea apologies for the spelling.

I just think it showed a lack of awareness and experience on the side of Jo's and his backroom team. It's one thing the Welsh players playing 2 full games this week on the knockout games, but it's another for us with nothing really riding on two meaningless games. An international manager has to work with clubs and club managers, just made no sense. It's not askf we were playing perfect and hasn't room for improvement, as said.

Coleman has played 49 mins out of the last 540 for Everton in the league so I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. I don’t see why dyche would be angry at all. I think he’d be the opposite

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement