Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crow Reboot Alive.....Again

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You'd wonder if Danny Huston ever gets a tad sick of playing the smarmy, sneeringly evil roles? Obviously not I guess, cos he keeps playing them - and this time he's third billed n' all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

he has a head on him of a smarmy cúnt to be honest !! Could be the nicest fellow in the world, but he fits the roles he plays !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Looking forward to this. But seems to be a carbon copy of the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Crow should have stayed dead.

That looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The Crow was absolutely worthy of a modern retelling in the hands of someone capable, but this isn't it.

I'm actually taken aback at how absolutely abysmal this looks. 10 years in the making and after umpteen actors involved. My one hope was Bill and I'm also taken aback by what he's signed up for here. Absolutely awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

lol

That trailer is so so terrible but also so brilliant because it literally showcases the entire thing.

So I can fully be justified in ignoring it when it comes out.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I don't get why people watch trailers, like you mentioned it gives a large proportion away. Don't remember it being this way in the cinemas back in the day, same for vhs/dvd...or I have selective memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The remake trailer is near to 3 minutes whilst the original was 60 seconds, big difference no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭ECookie13

There seems to be zero hype for this. Must be telling of how bad it is and they're cutting their losses on it. It's out next week!

It's already being relegated to the small screens on release day, be interesting to see what the reviews are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have a *lot* of time for Bill Skarsgård, but the trailer and overall pitch for this just screamed "Executives demanded reboot so here we are".

I get how "let's flesh out the love story and characters" might seem a good idea, but the problem is that neither the comic nor the original adaptation were about that - they were a widower's scream into the void, presenting an idealised version of that love story as the fuel for a revenge story styled as a gothic tragedy.

I could be wrong, but nothing about the changes made for the new version have been sold well as having an interesting new take on the story. The endless production hell and director & actor churn that preceded this film (for, what, a decade? Two?) hardly inspires confidence either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The lack of buzz about this release puts the fear of Paul O'Connell on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭sonic85

I don't think anyone will ever touch Brandon Lee. The original was such a classic. The absolute state of Bill Skarsgaard in the pics I've seen - what's with the crap tattoos?

I still will probably go see this but I'm really not holding much hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Every single time I've been to the cinema recently it's been on. They seem to be promoting it hard.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭ECookie13

How is there still a review embargo for this and it's released tomorrow. Such a big red flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Saw a couple reviews saying it’s not to bad, as said earlier it seems to focus a lot on the central relationship.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Metacritic page for this doesn't fill me with hope, although tbh I don't set too much stock by reviews if I'm not familiar with the reviewer.

If e.g. Kim Newman, Anton Bitel or maybe Mark Kermode gave this a positive or even middling review, I might give it some time. But between the largely middling to bad reviews and what little I've read from the director sounding like there's no actual idea for how to take what works in the comic and update it to today, I doubt that'll happen. (He talks about this being a "more grounded" version which is, uh, certainly a set of words you can say, but that's about it...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I saw this earlier today.

I'll start by saying that I'm a huge fan of Alex Proyas' first Crow film. Fantastic atmosphere, superb soundtrack, just everything clicking together. I didn't like the new one, and I reckon this will be the case for most fans of the original.

I'm very unclear what the intention is, as the tone of the film is all over the place, and none of this places is particularly interesting. The sets feel very generic - the only interesting one being the purgatory. I found the love story very uninspiring - but that may be because I thought FKA Twigs' performance as Shelly was very average. And then the tone shifts and by the end is John Wick on steroids.

One of the strong aspects of the original Crow was the soundtrack - both original score and songs. Here, in sync with the "all over the place" theme, the selection of songs varies from the old (Joy Division, Gary Numan) to the new (granted, there are two good songs, by The Veils and Foals) - and at some point a song by Enya made an appearance!! Very difficult to create a mood...

Bill Skarsgard is a good choice for this role. But other than his physical presence, there doesn't seem to be much direction on what he does.

The ambiguous end would suggest that the producers may have a sequel in mind. Hopefully the poor commercial performance will put an end to it, because frankly I can't see where you go from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Is it though? 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I must admit that I was prejudiced against this from the start. Loved the original. Haven't watched it in years and it may have aged badly but I certainly loved it originally. And the soundtrack is fantastic (Anyone else remember the Judgement Night soundtrack also?).

So I was a bit "precious" about any reboot. It could be done right. Say Del Toro. But difficult. And then I saw the photos and thought "Wait, is this Jared Leto's Joker? What's with all the tatts?. Then the trailer which did nothing for me. Cross between the original, Jared Leto and Meatloaf videos.

And, to put it simply, I didn't get the POINT of making a reboot (Apart from money of course). I mean, yes, it has a large cult fanbase for a variety of reasons. But it is very much of its time. I thought the cheap-ass sequels had buried it.

And ENYA???!!!!!

Actually, Lionsgate REALLY should have disabled comments when releasing the trailer on Youtube. They are NOT kind :D

Actually, Lionsgate REALLY should have disabled comments when releasing the trailer on Youtube. They are NOT kind :D

Heh, went and read a few and my favourite was:

"I liked the part where The Crow said 'Its nevermorbin time' "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭sonic85

I went to see this last night. It's definitely bad but it's not quite as bad as I thought it would be. There were a few very well done scenes in it but it's definitely one to leave to stream - if I could go back in time I definitely wouldn't pay to watch it!

The casting was pure and utter muck - whoever thought casting that twigs one was a good idea needs the sack. She. Was. Brutal.

I went home and turned on the original. Should've done that in the first place to be honest!

Advertisement