Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You misquoted me.

And now you are denying it.

I NEVER said that it was UK or EU migrants wearing what you call designer clothes!

Why would I? That was an entirely different conversation about migrants from UK and EU who are entitled to claim sw here, in EU case for 3months.

The discussion , centred around you slagging asylum seekers who you say were wearing ' designer clothes and runners', as if this fact meant that they did not need benefits!

That was your entire conversation with me and others over the last 2 days which is facile and pointless but appears that is what you like to discuss.

I countered this by saying people in a hurry wear their best and pack light, and then you start with another poster about beggars wearing 'the designer gear' you say again.

It was clearly conflating migrants who beg, who are not asylum seekers at all.. Changing goalposts because you had clearly lost the room on the first discussion and wanted to dogwhistle about migrant beggars.

But your mistaken involving me in that or mentioning it, because I was never in that second part of the discussion.

That was between you and two other posters.

You are also mistaken in that you are showing everyone that you only speak in soundbites and can't progress a discussion without getting mixed up. And conflating and misquoting.

On the other issue which you are doubling down on..

I think its encumbent on you, as you are accusing me, to quote the exact post and say when and where it was posted so I have the right to reply.

Otherwise its another groundless, facile complaint

Why read a line of a post and rush to attack rather than trying to understand anyone else's position?

And on that note, I or other posters don't have to say ' what they" are advocating for " nor should you be assigning people to" them or us" camps.

That is a very immature way to conduct a discussion.

There are people here who agree with some things and they also agree with others and that is entirely their prerogative.

Did she really say " no debate whatsoever "?

I have not read that anywhere else except your post above which doesn't quote a link .

This is what I have seen from Newstalk abd the Irush Examiner et al quoting the same sentences but not that phrase ...

Because reading that it looks like she will introduce legislation before the cabinet , which IS going through the Dáil and Seanad .before it goes to the Chief Justice.. so why say there is no debate ?

It doesn't go through without debate , does it ?

So where did you get that phrase there " no debate whatsoever "? Did you add that yourself or is that from a source ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

malinheader threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Not to mention that Ireland is in the migrant sharing scheme voluntarily. We negotiated an opt-out during the last Lisbon vote. We can opt out without paying a penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would still suggest there is not that much difference between a 25 year old refugee from Afghanistan and a 25 year old 'economic migrant' from Georgia in terms of employability. I'm not suggesting for a moment we should waive the rules for irregular or 'illegal' migrants, but I wouldn't necessarily buy the idea that they are unemployable. An economic migrant is clearly someone who is looking for work and is able to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

That is why we have work visas - if you’ve a skill we need, apply!!

I know you could not be suggesting that we employ those who are not accepted as refugees and should be returned ..we would be encouraging wholesale abuse of our asylum and employment laws if so .

What do you mean, Strazdas? Are you talking about while they are waiting for a decision ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here is what I want:

(1) exit checks

(2) Irish builders abroad to be attracted home by no income tax for ten years if they build new houses

(3) EU citizens who can't support themselves - use existing rules to remove

(4) English-language school scams - clampdown

(5) UKR refugees - 1% of population is enough, so 51,000 appox, the rest sent home

(6) All deportations to be switched from self-deportation to instant, accompanied deportations, plane on standby 24/7

(7) Existing AS: process claims much faster, shorten appeal process, increase removals

(8) aim for zero AS. If this means all pax must register in advance for all flights, so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Calling it now. This talk about renovations and using empty commercial properties and own door etc.

It's going to be direct provision centres under a new name when all is said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

On point 4, if language schools were clamped down on the rental crisis would be massively ameliorated. I think it's something like 29k English language visas are issued annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Stick to debating the points being made in the thread, not fishing for likes from your online 'admirers'. I'm not the topic of conversation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You're the one making utterly ridiculous points in order to derail the thread.

You are saying they are not unemployable based on the idea they might be willing to work. Then you're saying we shouldn't bend rules for them to make them be allowed to work. What on earth are you trying to argue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

And how is that in any way fair to foreign nationals who go through the proper channels, apply for work visas and provide documentation to support their application? Why bother sticking to the rules if they just need to arrive, claim asylum and brazen it out until they can work or go on benefits.

Rewarding those who scam our systems by granting them the same status and privileges as genuine visa holders is wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭TokTik

If you could make more than the average wage in your home country, sitting around drinking/watching tv/hanging out with friends (delete as applicable) all day, in free accommodation, with all your bills paid, medical and dental for free, all meals paid for, whilst sending a bit back to your family to survive/save up to join you.

Would you be motivated to get a low paid job, pay taxes, get up early in the morning and possibly lose the above entitlements?? I know I’d find it a struggle to.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Repro212

Some good ideas there Geuze, particularly 2) to incentivise builders and there are likely other elements that could be added to make up a very attractive package, well justified given the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I hear RTE going heavy on the news this morning with a story of four people brought in for questioning re arson attack at Rosscahill a few weeks ago. Just who pulls the strings at RTE you'd wonder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's a discussion forum.

If you continually make disingenuous points, you can expect to be called on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You never did explain how asylum seekers are only a small number .Net immigration refers to legal migrants and many leave .80 % of asylum seekers remain

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Not saying it’s relevant , just what other countries do. In an effort to stop people trafficking Germany has “temporary” checkpoints with Switzerland, Austria and Czech Republic. Temporary is allowed under Schengen rules but I’m no legal eagle

One lane of the motorway is blocked and signposted and everyone is directed to drive through a lay-by. Most cars (well I guess they look for local’ish reg plates) and lorries waved through. There are huge marquees you drive under.

International buses are almost guaranteed to be stopped. The type of target they are looking for. Everyone is asked to stand outside and have your ID ready. If you pass inspection then you stand at the front of the bus and wait.

The federal police stand around with guns I guess to deter someone running. But run to where anyway as you are off a motorway in the countryside. Nowhere to go

And two officers will check the top deck, lower deck and I suppose the toilet of the empty bus in case anyone is hiding

And then are allowed to board the bus and go on your way

It was introduced last winter as “temporary” but maybe it will last for years

I’m certainly not saying put this across the border from Newry and actually checks already do exist by Dundalk garda station but not at this level

Ye, off topic sorry, just what other nations do

That would be the common sense approach and put the onus back on the UK to actually check who’s flying and sailing between the UK and NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭bloopy

It is the optics of having checkpoints back on the border that they want to avoid I suppose.

I doubt the UK is too pushed about having refugees enter from the North. After all, if they can't send them to Rwanda, then Ireland is the next best thing.

“Two men, aged in their 40s and 50s, and two women, also in their 40s and 50s, were this morning arrested during a garda operation.“

Some demographic make up for a roaving militant far right group if it turns out to be them.

Did anyone hear the immigration lawyer called Cathal Malone 'interviewed' by Claire Byrne this morning? If you have blood pressure problems, I wouldn't listen back. Cathal is a out & out cheerleader for unfettered migration into the state it would seem. He made it clear that he saw no problem with thousands of people arriving here with no passports or visas or documentation. And that this is our duty as a wealthy state etc. I wonder who pays Cathal's salary & fees?

I'd say the DUP etc are quietly laughing in the background. Thinking that'll serve em not to have proper border controls.

Surely it's not beyond our authorities here to stop buses and trains crossing the border and send them back for the NI Assembly to worry about??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Is anyone talking about a cap on numbers? What if the number of AS rises exponentially month on month?

Do we take say a limit of 1% of the Nigerian population?

• Advertisement
Advertisement