Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭jj880

Where I live there is an Aldi and a Lidl about 20 metres apart. I start in Aldi. Anything I cant get there or is out of stock I then go across to Lidl. You'd need a mortgage to go into Dunnes, SuperValu or Tesco after recent hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeah I but some Sure the other day. Arctic blast or some bollixoligy like that. Scans in a 8 quid but the clubcard does it for 3. An absolute scam. The psychology of the Tesco Clubcard is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

its essentially bullying people into signing up with them (heavy coercion) otherwise you'll get ripped off even harder. You gave a nice example. But the thing is, even their "special offers" are not even that special, its usually just the price they had it at before they decided to increase it, so its not even a sale price. its just "old price masquerading as a special offer" when bought with clubcard, VS their new price of the item (when bought without clubcard).

Also some of the deals that rope you into buying multiples of any item is a con too! usually meaning they're looking to get rid of it faster, but increase the single unit price of the item to make it look like you're saving more money than you actually are. i see this happen all the time with pringles for example. They're usually floating around being priced between €2 and €2.50 everywhere including tesco. But every so often tesco will bump the price up of the single unit price to something like €3.50 just days before putting a "buy 2 for x price" on it. So they would have it like for example buy 2 for €5! thats no sale, there's nothing even being saved here, they just bumping the default price of the item to make it look like you're saving. The price before the bump x2 = the same price of the supposed sale. At best if you're lucky you might save 50 cent for taking stuff they wanna get rid of, from their hands. Sales these days don't do you a favor, instead you're doing THEM the favor. it's never sales in our best interests.

Another similar example some places do is percentage based sales. Imagine an item costs €7.50 euro normally and its not selling, so they wish to sell it for €5 so they instead do marketting bs and intentionally the price they bump up to €10 just so they can say a few days later "was €10 now €5, save 50% great value amazing sale!" when in reality you're only actually saving €2.50. Very misleading and no price commisioner in ireland, everything is buyer beware!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Onions and potatoes keep rising in Dunnes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭jj880

Roosters 49c per kilo in Aldi for another 80 minutes. Well stocked up myself here 🤣.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If the rain doesn't stop they won't be there at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone know why the 24 packs of coke zero are now packs of 18 for the same price....and that's before you consider the recycle levy.

Oh and there's no price difference between full sugar soft drinks and zero versions....what happened to the sugar tax?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Stocks are dwindling due to bad harvest last year. Basic supply and demand economics.

If the weather doesn't let up, we're facing an even worse harvest this year and can only imagine what prices will be like this time next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭JVince

Same with cocoa beans. Massive chocolate price rises coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Madd002

Dunnes doing 18 cans of coke for €10 including deposit worked out at €12.60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They sell em for 18c in Newry, so can't be a weather issue

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

It used to be 24 cans for a tenner on special in Dunnes or Tesco. Coke themselves dont seen to make 24 can slabs any more.... shrinkflation?

Same price for fat coke too...

Don't drink them often but nice to have in house when parched . Broken down it works out at .70c a can price above.

All English supermarkets are doing the 15p adverts including Asda,Lidl & Aldi we're being rode down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The supermarkets here agreed to stop doing the under 20c promotional veg a number of years ago as it was giving a very inaccurate idea of how much the food actually cost.

Its below cost selling; as are the Super6 and equivalent in Aldi. This used to be outright illegal here; as it puts other food prices up - the supermarket has to make a profit somewhere - and supermarkets put pressure on wholesalers and manufactuers/farmers to take some of the hit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

just noticed in the supervalu Specials that they are mentioning the 2l bottles of original coke which i haven't seen anywhere in ages.

crazy that they are €4.05 each but they can see 2 for €5.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭beachhead

No need for pots soon the summer will be here soon,haha Then it's pasta all the way!

Same as post 2098

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Deals is not bad for that kind of shopping. You are unlikely to get Weetabix there though.

Yeah, mix of some getting paid less by onward distributors due to a % deal and general opposition to people being made think you could actually get a bag of carrots for 6c - think that was the cheapest they got that Christmas, the undercutting started at 9c so there wasn't a large amount to cut by!

All 9c/69c/99c/whatever discount deals being offered are loss leaders that you will end up paying for in dearer costs for other food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I see Tesco have removed their Creamfields yoghurt range.

They were really good yoghurts and very cheap.

Their own brand yoghurt is more expensive and tastes much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Tesco are getting ridiculous these days with the constant dropping of decent brands. There is so little choice now it's pathetic. I've had the delivery saver thing for about 5 years now, but once it's up in a few weeks, I am 100% going to Dunnes. I put together a basket of similar items from Dunnes just to check, and it is marginally a little more expensive even with the 10 off every 50, but I was genuinely shocked at the absolutely massive range of choices you have compared to tesco. Why have tesco done this? All the 'this product has been removed from our range' notices on so many everyday things is infuriating. Also, the quality of the stuff that actually gets delivered has gone way way downhill. Short best before dates that were never an issue now has become the norm. It feels like a company that is doing a last cash grab before jumping ship big time.

Creamfields was own brand, just not Tesco branded own brand. They have tens of faux brands to sit in between own brand and branded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭JVince

TK maxx are the worst for this. Over 50% of their stock is under their own faux brands or brands make to the price point tk maxx want.

I had a creamfields yogurt once. It was utter muck. Full of stabilisers and artificial flavouring.

It is the renamed Tesco Value at same pricepoint, just like Growers Harvest, Ms Mollys, Stockwell&Co, Springforce, HW Nevill, Hearty Food Co, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Ive spoken to a few drivers about this, the online business is separate to the in store business they were saying.

They have different ranges of products, alot of the stuff removed from online is still available in store.

There is no logic to it either, for example, 2 litre bottles of 7 Up Free were unavailable for me to buy for over a year, always out of stock online. Bizarre.

I even spoke to customer support and they said they would resolve it, they didnt.

I had a creamfields yogurt once. It was utter muck. Full of stabilisers and artificial flavouring.

The natural Greek yoghurt was very nice and didnt have much additives.

€25/kg 😂 That is like premium fillet steak prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i've seen the price of sparkling water go up in aldi, but that is'nt all this is about. i wanted to touch on water and how super markets are using the whole return label excuse to bump up their own prices on products before even adding the deposit.

with this example sparkling water what i assumed to be €3.15 is now gone up to €4 + €1.80 deposit = €5.80 total!

i feel the same is gonna happen soon with regular bottled water in aldi, as soon as they've gotten rid of the non-logo non-deposit stock or as soon as june 1st (whichever happens sooner), it's gonna be around the same price as its sparkling counterpart if not more, i'm calling it.

They seem to no longer have any regular lid 12x500ml bottled water, next closest thing is 12 sports cap 12x500ml. The websites list 24x500ml normal lid packs of bottled water, but been to 3 aldi's today and rang up 5 more, none have it. Lidl's and tesco already have return logo's on their own bottled water and put the prices up too.

Too many places are taking advantage of this return scheme and using it to their advantage to bump up the price on their own items. This return scheme should only be the price of the deposit added to what we would normally play for the product. What we would normally pay for the product has now been increased! Stores are free to do this in ireland as no price commish etc, but they're clearly doing it alongside the return scheme. This picture with price difference when in comparison of sportscap normal water 12x500 vs sparkling water 12x500 is a lovely example that shows supermarkets are deliberately doing this alongside the return/deposit scheme. Otherwise non-logo water would have been bumped up in price too otherwise. BIG DIFFERENCE €3.15 VS €5.80!!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Advertisement