Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is that roguelike Doom Infinite any good? Seems like a really interesting idea for a roguelike actually.

Was just playing a bit of this over the weekend, it runs so smooth! Really nicely done. If it was a Nintendo IP it would probably be gone by now 😯

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone investing in the Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story tomorrow?

I've the Switch version pre-ordered and downloaded, cheaper on the Japanese eshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,071 ✭✭✭Doge

He released a game on PS5 recently that is compatible with PSVR 2 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From a convertaion in the office around funky beat'em ups, someone brought up that they saw a video about Buriki One on the Hyper Neo Geo 64 and how the controls are funky. You seemily just have a forward/back button for movement and the combat/attack buttons are a joystick. Thought, Ooo need to check that out to see that its only just been emulated well in MAME in the past year so no need to break the bank to try it out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭geotrig

its a great little game , you couldnt give away the hyper neo years ago but this was always worth owning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never seen a hyper 64 in the wild. Seemed like a very underpowered arcade board, there's nothing there a PS1 couldn't do when stuff like model 3 and Naomi were out.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I almost bought one a few times, they were going for peanuts! Was quite surprised to see there seems to be a bit of interest in them these days.

I have buriki and one of the same shos buriki used to get a bit of play but haven't had it in a while, still not sure I'd spend good money on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭dav09

It was a bit of a strange one as it almost seemed underpowered for its time, I suppose you could say the same about the original Neo geo. They didn't seem to sell and had a bunch of cancelled games, I think having no real clear hit titles is what caused its demise but it's awfully strange considering the amount of IPs SNK had, its like they gave up before they even tried support it, there must have been other factors i.e. financial or something. I've never seen one either. Seen a few world rally cabinets for sale. I remember a huge haul of unsold NOS Hyper Neo Geo 64 came up recently for fairly cheap.

• Advertisement

yeah snk were banjaxed financially by the time it was released fingers in way too many pies ,remember they had just released cd system as well that was horrendous and and was up against the ps and saturn a pocket system as well up against the gameboy. 3d Gaming was in its infancy and they mad a balls of it really as well and didnt stick to what they were good at .Its a odd system and I still don't know what they were thinking. never say one in the wild untill the mid 2000's and why would ops buy into this when the ng was still doing ok business !

One of the games has a bit of a following think its one of the samuari shodowns but not sure which one

i reckon it must have been pig of a system to design for as no other developer released anything.

I suppose you could say the same about the original Neo geo.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone claim that , Jesus the system was mythical

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They original neo geo was a beast when it came out in 1990, way ahead of other 2D boards of the time that weren't multiprocessor super scalar type systems.

Master of the Universe

To think games like The Last Blade and Metal Slug are running on hardware from 1990 is pretty insane.

Big fan translation just hit. The Goemon game for ps1 is finally playable in english

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would have liked to have seen In the Hunt on the NeoGeo, feels like the Metal Slug title we never got

Seems like we were lucky we ever got ranger X. The same guy solely responsible for the western release of Gunstar Heroes was again solely responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ Ultimately, did Sega of America kill Sega as a major player on the console/gaming space? Had Sega of Japan been left to run global operations, would things have ended differently? It was Sega of America who wanted the 32X if I recall, and there were serious differences of opinion on how top proceed a lot of the time...

Master of the Universe

Really underrated game that, one of the console's best. It's not very difficult at all though, easy to play through in one sitting.

Amazing bit of trivia. Shame he could have moved over to Nintendo of Europe and gotten a few more SNES RPGs released! 😁

Master of the Universe

There are so many alternative reality questions when it comes to that era of gaming. Same with the Sony/Nintendo debacle, how would everything look now in a world where the Nintendo Playstation existed?

It's possible it might have flopped (as most addons do). Imagine a combination of that with Sega not releasing loads of silly Megadrive add ons and just going straight to the Saturn.

• Advertisement

I honestly think that the biggest contributor to Sega's downfall was just how good Sony and the PlayStation was. There was very little hype for the PlayStation until just before arrival and people saw how good it was.

There's lots of factors there. The PS1 chipset manufacture was controlled by Sony so they had the ability to reduce costs unlike Sega meaning they could launch cheaper. They had great titles on the launch window while Sega struggled. The hardware was modest but made clever cuts to get 3D running as fast as possible.

Namco was also a big contributor. They were an excellent developer but had been at loggerheads with Nintendo since the Famicom days so went all in on PlayStation and released some of their best stuff around launch.

And then there was Nintendo just being late to the party. They launched in 1996. The PS1 had a decent 1995, but by 1996 the PlayStation was getting some really exciting titles. And then 1997 which was one of the best years for videogame releases and most were on PlayStation.

Master of the Universe

Actually speaking of Namco, one fascinating angle to the PS1 too (which I'm sure again added to their success) is how many arcade boards are based on it. Things like the Taito GNET and Namco System 10 are basically Playstations on a board with additional boards mounted on top of it.

Check out the base PCB with the Sony logo on it.

Taito GNET

Namco System 10. Revised on the above (with Namco Branding) but you'll notice the layout is practically the same with the silver heatsync in the same place, as well as the jamma edge.

Capcom were at it too. Street Fighter EX PCB. You'll note the Sony Playstation hardware on the bottom here too. Actually this one look far more similar to the GNET board above.

So three different arcade manufactuters effectively using the same hardware but with different media. Shows you have versatile it is as a system. GNET being out there using PCMCIA based games and everything.

Video Game Esoterica did a great video on it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Don't forget the System246, which is basically a PS2. Some models are modified to run a HDD, like mine below.

You can see it even has the controller inputs (which you can plug a controller into!) and the memory card slot (which is used instead for a licence/encryption key as the game on the HDD is encrypted).

Master of the Universe

The funniest PS2 one I saw was the Konami 'Python'. Didn't even decase the PS2 😁

thats when arcade hardware died for me with the ps1/ps2 stuff😪

Yeah it mostly all became the same in the Ps1/PS2/Gamecube era besides maybe sega stuff, then PC hardware killed all the imagionation all together. It became easier/cheaper to develop in a shifting market where arcade sales were falling so it made sense to go that way unfortunatly. I know a few brave smaller devs tried original hardware. I've never seen a Konami 'Python' that looks like a nuts setup.

• Advertisement

Life goals! 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Inspired by the Game Gear thread, are there any hidden diamonds on the system you'd all recommend? It's a library I've wanted to get into for a while, but never really found the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Master of Darkness port is pretty decent if you want a castlevania type game. I am partial to a shooter.. Halley Wars was ok but Aleste/Power Strike was the one I liked best. I was also a bit surprised by Ristar and Shinobi which I expected to be typical master system/game gear scaled down ports but were actually completely different games altogether and quite decent.

And its hardly a hidden gem but the Gunstar Heroes port on Game Gear was a lot better than it had any right to be on such limited hardware.

Retronauts did a blog where Stuart gipp played every game gear game and rated them. Probably the best place to find some hidden games.

Good shout, often forget there's a site to go with the podcast. Gipp has great taste, he loves Binding of Isaac nearly as much as I do.

• Advertisement

Fecker blocked me on twitter for saying the Layton games suck. I usually don't agree with a lot of his taste in games but do like to hear his opinions on why he likes them.

So many anecdotes coming out about Sega and treasure the last few days:

i didn't realise realise 'Game' the game shop relaunched in Ireland as part of Sports Direct, in Limerick but I'm sure elsewhere too, great to see. Good selection of stuff cool retro and arcade stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Absolutely sorry state of it too unless you want Evercade carts or the overpriced single player bartop Arcade 1up machines.

How much are they charging for the Arcade1Up machines?

Iirc it was €280 each for the TMNT and the SF II Countercades. Pity the 2 player MvC one never came here as it can be hacked, that went on clearance in the US for $100 at Black Friday.

My regret is not picking up the Arcade1up Star Wars virtual pinball table, less than €400 it was.

Just as I was about to pull the trigger, they delisted them from the site!

What are peoples thoughts on Contra Operation Galuga?

Anyone played it?

I might give it a go soon enough as Contra is my series. Wayforward did my Contra 4 which was excellent and the surprisingly good spidersaurus so I trust them with it.

It is however a series you have to ignore the reviews of. Modern reviewers just don't get the game and will mark it low while there are a few that will get it. You end up with the incredible shattered soldier and contra 4 with pretty middling reviews. I think a better barometer is the 9/10 it has for steam reviews and reviews from series fans like Stuart gipp that gave it a 5 star review on the retronauts blog.

• Advertisement

Random question - are there any Vewlix arcade cabs in any locations around Dublin? Have a notion I might look into getting one, be great to see one in the flesh

Not in Dublin I'm fairly sure but there 6 Namco Noirs and 5 Vewlix's in Level Up in Limerick, pretty sure the only public place in ROI with candy cabinets.

Master of the Universe

Is Base Arcade in Belfast still a thing or was that just a short pop up event? Remember seeing they'd a nice few Japanese cabinets in the mix.

https://basearcade.com/

Is it always open or just a ticket/open on limited dates? Has the wiff of maybe a pool of collectors who bring their cabs to a pub to create the event/arcade. Good idea tbh :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1227901365264669&set=pcb.1227901485264657

Sounds like a trip needs to be planned

Yep Base is still going I know one of the lads is on here an I think they're all fairly sound. It's a good spot too but they're on a brief hiatus at the minute it sounds like, but no doubt they will be back soon, just CRT candies as far as I know but maybe I'm wrong (not that there's anything wrong with those). 😀

I've been collecting cabinets for the past 3 years for a similar thing to what you mentioned but a lot bigger. I've roughly 40 out of hopefully 80 or so intended cabinets collected now for it, and will have space for up to 100 cabinets if people want to bring their own to the events too. Starting it this year but it will realistically be 2025 by the time it's ready I would guess.

Definitely, has moved to a new spot in the middle of the city center (although don't take my biased opinion)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I went to Base last December. Pretty good little setup tbh.

No Viewlix when I was there. Maybe 4 candy cabs. Aero and (New) Astro City.

Was a nice day trip on the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I know the base lads and they have gotten some great stuff in a short amount of time. Actually going to loan them a few of my candies to help me free up space to work on other things and also not have to come to terms with actually selling something

Was not expecting Golden Axe to get an animated comedy series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

@CiDeRmAn will state it's always been a comedy, and that most of us just didn't know it...

Advertisement