Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Air/Congestion Charging set to be introduced by 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Firstly you persuade citizens that these are the best measures, then you make sure you set up valid alternatives that are fair to all and then you legislate for change. The Greens have this arse ways, like SF would do with a border poll - they view legislation as a battering ram to force change and then hope things work out OK after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You posted "If there is a congestion charge it should be either based on emissions or vehicle weight, isn't fair that 2.5tonne EV's can still clog up the roads without paying."

So what is a 2.5 EV not paying for? compared to a 2.5 tonne combustion?

First off SF will never achieve a border poll. They are too incompetent.

Second off how long is the congestion charge been discussed in Dublin now for?

You put in a cycle lane and people moan & bitch about it for months, then when it is installed and wroking the same people via gritted teeth might admit it was actually a good idea. A government leads the people.

If they didnt we would still be swimming in a sea of plastic bags and smoke filled pubs

I know what I posted thanks. I'm sure you're well able to answer that one for yourself.

• Advertisement

Maybe then update the original post as it was clearly incorrect to single out electric cars

Won't be updating anything. Large/Heavy electric vehicles can't be exempted from a congestion charge as they still contribute to congestion and produce particulate matter pollution from tyres/brakes.

In London who have Ulez/Congestion charges; "from 25 December 2025, the Cleaner Vehicle discount will end. After this date, all electric vehicles – including pure battery electric vehicles–will no longer be exempt, and EV drivers will have to pay the congestion charge"

The Green Party know this is their chance to implement policies and in all probability wont be in next government

So the cries we hear of the Green Party forcing the other parties is incorrect, FF and FG have a way better odds of making the next government post election. So how would the Green party have power or why would they pull the plug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

I've more or less given in listening to radio or watching Irish political "debate" on TV. It's all just one way traffic and terrible to witness. We haven't any proper journalists left at this stage bar Gript who seem to be asking some hard questions of our elected leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

A lot of these "journalists" (yeah i know) aren't paid particularly well and the end game is a job in FG/FF/Greens's etc... PR department and the fat cosy pension and pay packet that comes with it. They aren't getting that if they rock the boat and ask the hard questions we all deserve to have answered by our elected representatives. The illusion of a free press is just that, an illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The Government plans to engage with insurers to encourage a move away from car ownership and incentivise motorists to carpool with less costly premiums and to ease restrictions on newly qualified drivers who car-share.

Not a fan of the greens but this is awful misinformation. The actual proposal is to stop insurers from doing away with your no claims bonus if you have a gap of insurance (and car ownership). If you are off the road or sell the car for a while, you shouldn't be punished by insurers and lose your NCB. This is a good thing, one less thing for insurance companies to shaft us with.

How anyone can be against this specifically is mind boggling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

What will probably actually happen is those that choose to drive their own cars to work on their own will be hit with higher insurance premiums. So Ryan is wrong yet again.... It is anti motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In that context I would absolutely agree that that change is overdue and welcome - but that's not how the article put it at all. The piece I quoted is what they said, but it's also completely different to the reality then as you outline it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No improvement in public transport in the North Strand, at the epicentre of the sh!tshow that is the Clontarf to City Centre cycle lane. They removed bus stops and when Green party councillors were contacted to help reinstate them, they didn't even know where we were talking about. Their canvassers were rightly run out of our street last night.

How would that happen?

How will insurers know if you drive your own car alone to work?

There are loads of articles out on it over the last few days, it's mentioned in one, I'll try and find.

The idea they'll just further load car insurance is nonsense. They will push for EVs, but not push for less vehicles as the govt needs tax income from car sales too. They will already have a huge whole in finances from move away from petrol/diesel. They will add more tolls or higher motor tax, they will not instruct insurers to increase insurance just for the sake of it.

The Irish insurance industry badly needs sorted out also, only way it's in any way reasonable is if you have a big NCB. That you lose it if you have a year or more of no insurance, because you are abroad or without a car etc.. daylight robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"If they didnt we would still be swimming in a sea of plastic bags and smoke filled pubs"

These entailed a change in habits for some people, they didn't involve considerable extra cost & inconvenience for most.

Why don't you instance the 'light bulbs' or the 'diesel tax incentives' or 'carbon tax' projects of the Greens??

Plastic bags levy was by definition an extra cost!

Light bulbs? Not sure what light bulbs have been made mandatory, but at this stage if you aren't buying LEDs you are pissing away your own money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

well, that's the conundrum they are facing, when traffic congestion improves , people go back to cars,and stop using public transport/cycling, reversing the improvement, then it reverses, people being charged a congestion charge are less likely to return to car usage, public transport remains a faster, more reliable form of transport, and it remains that way. what many people fail to post/read/acknowledge, is that the legislation clearly states that cars will continue to be needed for rural areas, and it is only going to apply to urban/city areas where the numbers call for it. Also, people don't seem to realize that these are not just 'green' policies, these are policies to improve everyone's quality of life, including everyone's mental and physical health. It also improves business in any area it has been implemented , people that may have been against it for some 'cer centric reason/fear' actually appreciate what can be offered in town centers when there are less unhealthy emissions of fumes and noise, as well as the amount of space needed to just park cars every day and these car parks are turned into homes.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

no one's stopping you doing it, in your own car in your own yard, away from other people that choose not to be exposed to the ugliness of your/any car, the noise of it, the smell of it etc. JUst don't have it driving or parked in front of beside me while I try to enjoy a coffee or a meal- than ks :)

It's not all about you though no more than it is all about motorists - though the latter already pay more than enough.

As for the noise/smell. Maybe if the Councils weren't busy reallocating already busy traffic lanes to sit largely idle by comparison that would be a start.

"If you build it, they will come" was a great line in Field of Dreams but in the real world most people drive because it's the best option for their needs or the alternatives just don't exist or are so unreliable as to be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The low emissions zones are there to prevent the last few stragglers from bringing in their loud, toxic vehicles into built up urban areas

A bus lanes that "appears" empty carries more people per hour than the congested lane of traffic beside because buses are denser and carry more people.

The fact that bus lanes are not congested themselves is a sign of their success, not failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Anyone who is considering a new ICE vehicle today needs to know that they will be restricted in driving that vehicle in our towns and cities in less than 6 years time, reducing the utility and value of their asset

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just to (unfairly!) pull a quote out there:

"I'm not laying any blame on pedestrians, cyclists, or any other non-motorist groups here either...we're ALL entitled to be where we need to be on the roads/pathways"

motorists are not entitled to anything. pedestrians and cyclists are (within reason), but if you wish to drive a car, you've to have the following as a minimum:

full licence (or be accompanied by a full licence holder); valid NCT; valid motor tax; valid insurance

anyway, people give out about ryan, and often the lack of public transport is cited; but ryan has been the best minister for transport in living memory for that. unlike all the others who had no interest in the brief, except as a reward for political favours.

anyway:

that reminds me of the closure of a road (as a trial) near here which the local residents fought against - and which they then fought to keep when the trial was about to end and the roadblock removed.

Gave two examples of when the public didn't want change and it hugely benefited Ireland. That's a government leading the people like they are supposed to, Im sure if you look around you will still find people who complain about those changes. Some people just love to moan about everything and anything.

So in terms of the post I quoted, an excellent example of the government leading the population.

In terms of light bulbs, is that about Ireland banning the sale older bulbs years ago? You will need to explain to what the issue was with that one because I am struggling to see why that is an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bluedex

Plastic bags had alternatives, the old bulbs have alternatives. The Green lunatics are pushing anti-car policies, for example, without a comparable alternative.

Put alternatives in place before introducing these measures, it's not rocket-science. They're so blinded by the Green Religion that its made them incredibly stupid.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

I bought have a fairly big period property in the countryside. One of the reasons for doing so (apart from the increased mental wellbeing and benefits of living in a rural area versus the noise, pollution and general unpleasantness of an urban one) was that I could be caretaker/custodian of a a protected property. A property which the government actively wants civilians to look after as it's part of our history and heritage.

The house has a huge thermal mass thanks to the very thick walls. All good there. However it has some original single glazed glass, some of which is of similar thickness to that which you would find in a picture frame and was produced in a way that is not done any more so as a result I am unable to swap it out for something kinder to the environment and that also allows the house to be heated using less fossil fuels. And therein lies a problem - because I have to create a lot of heat to counteract the shortcomings of the thin single glazed glass, my option is more or less a large kerosene boiler that pumps out lots of heat. A heat pump would be of no use, at best it would be on 24/7 outside of the summer months. But the Green party is removing more and more ways that homes can be heated but for people with protected homes (protected at Government level), the amount of ways to usefully and legally heat those homes is continually being reduced and I'm not seeing the corresponding alternatives that are being made available to people like myself. I am being constrained by the same government who won't allow me to swap out my 200 year old thin single glazing.

I have plenty of wood available on the land so I have one fuel source there but sometimes I need more heat than the wood can provide. I'm swapping out the open fires for stoves as that is permitted and will help things. I was hoping to keep one open fire but heating wise, I've decided it'll be stoves all the way. I use the excellent colombian coal that has also been banned in the ROI. You get fantastic heat from it and don't have to use much of it. The "smokeless" processed coal that is only available to buy now is not in any way smokeless plus it burns with less heat so after testing it for a while, I found that I burn about twice as much of it compared to real coal so it's over double the price of the processed/fake coal that most likely used a huge amount of energy to be created in the first place as they are all perfectly formed rugby ball shaped identically sized pieces......I don't want to even think how much energy was wasted creating the fake coal!

Advertisement